I picked up my Torch while on a business trip on Thursday afternoon. Thankfully I had more than 4 hours to set it up and play in thje airport as my flight was delayed. My impressions so far.

Setup was not as smooth as it should have been. Pandora and App World errors during device switch. A non tech person wouldn't have known what to do based on the error message. I did because of CB posts.

Also, my BES activation didn't happen automatically. Took a day to realize it was because AT&T messed up the upgrade and changed my service from my BES unlimited plan to a personal 200 MB plan.

Initially the physical keyboard was crap. Its still not great, but has loosened up over the past couple days and is getting better. More to come as I can't edit this post properly because of malfunctioning keyboard.
    Trying again.

Bottom line is non-BB people likely won't have the patience to give this phone the time needed to get familiar with it. An iPhone is easy (because of its limited options and functionality). This phone isn't "easy". It almost does too much on most main screens. I (a BB user for 5 years) was getting frustrated yesterday. It's much better today, but I don't think most non-BB users would give 48 hours to get comfortable.

Overall, getting happier every hour (though this post had to be redone 8 times because of keyboard malfunctions); many people will miss out though because they won't give it a chance.
    08-15-10 01:17 AM
    i agree. this is not new to BB phones...especially now, that they have the new OS6. as for me, i'll wait it out for about a week or two just to see how RIM responds to these issues.
    08-15-10 01:40 AM
    god i hope they fix the lag
    08-15-10 03:41 AM
    if the lag gets fixed i think the phone is incredible
    08-15-10 03:42 AM
    Typing on that physical keyboard seemed a bit strange, didn't seem as easy or normal as on another blackberry, its too thin or goes in too much...i dont know, i didn't like it unfortunatley and went back to my Bold 9700 within an hour! lol
    08-15-10 04:55 AM
    Oddly enough, I was the person in our house who had to get used to the raised lip at the bottom of the keyboard. Maybe because of the Otterbox case I got? However, I'm totally used to it now. Have had Berries since those horrible looking blue things with the black or blue screens.....
    My husband, on the other hand, took to the keyboard like a duck to water. Surprised the daylights out of me, coming as he did from the 9000.

I hated the lack of ringtones but I got a bunch at myxer and brought some in from my 9700 - very nontechy solution, mailed them to myself from the 9700 them saved them on my 9800. Happy, salsa dancing Lil!!!

***oh, not sure about "lag" on ours, they are not exhibiting any...
    08-15-10 05:17 AM
    god i hope they fix the lag
    What lag are you talking talking about? I have had it now for 3 days and I have not seen any lag as of yet...
    08-15-10 07:14 AM
    Not lag here... I really don't know what lag ppl are talking about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 07:38 AM
    I have had mine since Friday and loving it. Has my droid x in a box on the table. it was rough leaving the 4.3 screen but haven't adjusted. Love the torch form factor
    08-15-10 07:46 AM
    Oddly enough, I was the person in our house who had to get used to the raised lip at the bottom of the keyboard. Maybe because of the Otterbox case I got? However, I'm totally used to it now. Have had Berries since those horrible looking blue things with the black or blue screens.....
    My husband, on the other hand, took to the keyboard like a duck to water. Surprised the daylights out of me, coming as he did from the 9000.

I hated the lack of ringtones but I got a bunch at myxer and brought some in from my 9700 - very nontechy solution, mailed them to myself from the 9700 them saved them on my 9800. Happy, salsa dancing Lil!!!

***oh, not sure about "lag" on ours, they are not exhibiting any...
    Hey-do you know if it's possible to migrate the 9700 stock ring tones to the 9800?
    I want to get the BB "classic" alerts back for email, txt, etc....
    08-15-10 07:51 AM
    Lag can be caused from many issues....so some may have it, some may not...

Also don't see the problem with the keyboard....how did you have a problem sending a reply on here? Just type and then hit post...?

08-15-10 07:53 AM
    All of my personal ringtones came over. I have however had to do 5-6 battery pulls because my icons/apps and folders keep disappearing. In particular my newly created download folder and my applications folder. Frequently used keeps getting populated with frequently used apps. I'm going to give it another day before addressing these issues to my provider. And I've yet to figure out what some of the icons are that keep appearing under the signal bars e.g., -2. Maybe it's because I am using numbers i.e., -70 vice bars. (alt/nmll)
    08-15-10 08:34 AM
    Hey-do you know if it's possible to migrate the 9700 stock ring tones to the 9800?
    I want to get the BB "classic" alerts back for email, txt, etc....
    No, I haven't figured out a way....it's driving me nuts.

Although.....Berryfit had a link to the tones....why didn't I think of that? let me look for his post...
    08-15-10 08:40 AM
    You go girl!!!!!

08-15-10 08:42 AM
    Try this out!!!! I'll check myself - it's a huge zipped file.
    BlackBerry_Ringtones.ZIP

***edit - the file does not contain the old ones, but it's got some cool new ones. I'm still trying to hunt down the old ones, someone must have them.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 08-15-10 at 08:53 AM.
    08-15-10 08:44 AM
    BlackBerry_Ringtones.ZIP
    Nice!!! Thanks so much!!!!
    This sends me to MediaFire, a file hosting site. Is this right?
    Guess I need to sign up?
    08-15-10 08:55 AM
    Nice!!! Thanks so much!!!!
    This sends me to MediaFire, a file hosting site. Is this right?
    Guess I need to sign up?
    no need to sign up - after extracting them they downloaded straight to my laptop.

***edit - by the way, they do have some great tones here on CB....I got a few here....
    Myxer.com is also great...
    08-15-10 08:56 AM
    I just got mine yesterday, but I have been using it extensively, and I have not noticed any lag. I even realized I had left a number of apps open in the background (slacker, gmail) and they didn't seem to make any difference. I am really liking this phone so far, but there are a number of configuration changes in OS 6 that are taking me a bit to get used to.
    08-15-10 08:59 AM
    Those with lag, whats your memory at once it starts lagging?
    08-15-10 09:01 AM
    no need to sign up - after extracting them they downloaded straight to my laptop.

***edit - by the way, they do have some great tones here on CB....I got a few here....
    Myxer.com is also great...
    Hey-Qbnkelt...forget the PM....I'm an ***** ha ha....I got it.
    Now I just need to figure out how to get these into the ring tone folder on my Torch!!!
    Any suggestions?

P.S.-does the Qb in your screen name stand for "quickbooks"?
    08-15-10 09:08 AM
    what lag? i think we need to define what people means by "lag"
    we have 4 torches in the house right now ( Dad, 2 brothers and mine) and none of us have lags.
    i have installed roughly 9 apps already and i don't experience it.
    those who have been experiencing the lag.. can you be more specific.. like be more descriptive in terms of seconds.. or what's actually happening..
    08-15-10 09:13 AM
    I think when people say "lag" they are referring to the smooth transitions.
    One day when developers start making 9800 themes, maybe some will be without transitions so it won't appear to "lag" to them.
    I prefer the transitions.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-15-10 09:20 AM
    BlackBerry_Ringtones.ZIP

***edit - the file does not contain the old ones, but it's got some cool new ones. I'm still trying to hunt down the old ones, someone must have them.
    Here ya go:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...9800-a-512846/
    08-15-10 09:31 AM
    Haaa.....I was just reading this.
    Thanks!
    08-15-10 09:34 AM
    Lag can be caused from many issues....so some may have it, some may not...

Also don't see the problem with the keyboard....how did you have a problem sending a reply on here? Just type and then hit post...?

A note about lag:

This is one of the issues that requires patience. I had tons of lag in the first 24 hours. By lag I mean, the stopwatch popup for 3-5 (or more) seconds where you can't do anything. What I figured out was that while it was going through intial setups (BES, BIS, app synching and data pulls, etc) it was really bad. It's great now with no sign of lag whatsoever. iPhone/Droid users, however, will not wait 24 hours for it to settle down.

As for the keyboard, it was reminicent of some Dell trackpads a few years ago. They would unexpectedly select large areas of text and jump around the screen. You had to disable the trackpad and only enable the trackpoint to be useable. The Torch accidentally "submitted" five times while i was in the middle of typing a sentence, and accidentally went "back" three times. I had to scramble to stop and then either go forward or back to continue the post. It also randomly started selecting text, and replaced as I was typing so I had to retype. As I said, the keyboard is loosening up after a few days. In the first day keys wouldn't "click"; they'd press and stick. This was worse in the middle of the keyboard then on the outside edges. The result was dddduuuuppllliccaateeee letters all over the place. Also I'd hit "H" for instance and "g" and "j" would pop us as well. As I said, this issue is much better now and most of the keys "click" properly now. I suspect some of the unexpected "submits" and "backs" were related to this issue. It also may have been how I was holding the phone (maybe I was touching the screen unintentionally).
    08-15-10 12:54 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD