In the begining the Torch was looking good on the surface of things. As I got into using the device on daily task it began to act very weird (freezing, muting calls,non-active icons, etc.)...then low and behold here comes specs on a second version in the 3Q approximately 1 year after the release of this waste of design. On top of that At&t's 3G coverage isn't what its all chalked out to be, at least not in Boston. I received better coverage on my 8900 with T-Mobile on their EDGE network. Also the better apps are very scarce when it comes to ‪'s overall these days. I hate to say it but I hope RIM steps their game up, other wise they are set for corporate death.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 09:33 AM
    In the begining the Torch was looking good on the surface of things. As I got into using the device on daily task it began to act very weird (freezing, muting calls,non-active icons, etc.)...then low and behold here comes specs on a second version in the 3Q approximately 1 year after the release of this waste of design. On top of that At&t's 3G coverage isn't what its all chalked out to be, at least not in Boston. I received better coverage on my 8900 with T-Mobile on their EDGE network. Also the better apps are very scarce when it comes to ‪'s overall these days. I hate to say it but I hope RIM steps their game up, other wise they are set for corporate death.

I have had none of the problems you are describing. I wonder what OS version you are running and what apps you have installed or themes. Sometimes the problems you describe are related to them.

If you transferred stuff over from your other phone, sometimes there are some problems related to that, espcially with themes. Also the SD card, if you moved it from your previous phone may need to be reformmated.

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting.
    01-15-11 09:52 AM
    Those are odd symptoms. What do you mean better apps are scarce? My bb does everything I can think to make it do... The only lacking area is games imo, and bb's aren't gaming devices. I don't know about att's coverage (I'm on vodafone.de) but I doubt that is the torch or bb's fault, and you can switch to tmo with your torch. As for the leaked specs, they don't look that bad but they are all just rumor so I wouldn't place too much weight on them. Waste of design!? That's personal preference, but this phone gives you both touchscreen keyboard and physical, so I don't get what you mean. Maybe you should switch to an iphone so you don't have any 'waste of designs' to choose from.

01-15-11 11:07 AM
    but I doubt that is the torch or bb's fault, and you can switch to tmo with your torch.
    From what I've read, that ISN'T possible in the US. If a phone comes out locked, I think it's illegal and warranty voiding to get it unlocked. Someone in the US can correct me here, but it's locked to AT&T and I think RIM have configured their US Torch to not allow itself to be unlocked. If that is the case, then you'd have to load a different carrier's OS onto it, voiding the warranty.
    01-15-11 11:36 AM
    Its legal, the only downfall is you can't get 3g (which he said tmo is faster without) on tmo with an att device due to different frequencies. I have an att torch unlocked right now so its possible, and I'm 99% sure its legal.

01-15-11 11:43 AM
    The only reason I asked a US member to clarify is because I'm UK not US. I know it's legal in the UK and it DOESN'T invalidate your warranty (infact certain phone companies ENCOURAGE it). It's just flashing a different carrier's OS on it that makes it invalidated. I wouldn't mind flashing the AT&T OS5 on my BlackBerry 8520.
    01-15-11 11:45 AM
    Yes, its legal because you need to unlock when you travel out of country. Carriers just don't like to give you the unlock code because they perceive it taking away potential customers (you can sell an unlocked phone for a pretty profit).
    01-15-11 11:47 AM
    I am from the us but haven't been in the states for about 2 years, it was legal with no voided warranty back then, so unless something new came along iit should be ok.

01-15-11 11:48 AM
    Its very legal and in way voids warranty. AT&T will give you the code once your contract is up. The reasoning in the lock in the 1st place is because of the discounts on devices so they have to insure to in sure service customers.

01-15-11 12:11 PM
    Its very legal and in way voids warranty. AT&T will give you the code once your contract is up. The reasoning in the lock in the 1st place is because of the discounts on devices so they have to insure to in sure service customers.

Or before if you ask for it with an actual decent reason, and it wont void your warranty.
    01-15-11 12:40 PM
    I completely agree with you. The flame on my Torch is almost already out..

Ok so I'm done with my Torch 9800. I don't know why, but it just doesn't have that.. "Bumph" that it had when I first got it (I got it on the release date). I've been with BlackBerry since AT&T got the Bold 9000.

I've always hated touchscreen keyboards, but I like how easy it is to navigate using the touchscreen (browsing, picture viewing, etc). The main reason I got the Torch when it came out was because of the Touchscreen + Keyboard.

Now I just find it SO annoying that I have to slide they keyboard out all the time to text, BBM, or browse the web. Also, the applications on the BlackBerry suck. You can't really do much with them. There's no "fun" in it I guess. There are no fun games or apps.

I want the Atrix because of Android, the power behind it, and the capabilities of the phone. Android has thousands of Apps. Including what I need; Google Navigation (which is free, there is no navigation app on the Blackberry with free voice navigation). The phone also has front-facing camera for video chatting, HD Video, etc.

The email configurations people said before, I have no problem with because I use Google services for most of my things.

Like I said before, I really can't wait until the Atrix comes out to upgrade. I can always go back to Blackberry with my 9700, but I don't see myself staying with BlackBerry any longer, especially since AT&T still doesn't get the 9780.
    Last edited by Shad0w26; 01-15-11 at 01:27 PM.
    01-15-11 01:24 PM
    Those are odd symptoms. What do you mean better apps are scarce? My bb does everything I can think to make it do... The only lacking area is games imo, and bb's aren't gaming devices. I don't know about att's coverage (I'm on vodafone.de) but I doubt that is the torch or bb's fault, and you can switch to tmo with your torch. As for the leaked specs, they don't look that bad but they are all just rumor so I wouldn't place too much weight on them. Waste of design!? That's personal preference, but this phone gives you both touchscreen keyboard and physical, so I don't get what you mean. Maybe you should switch to an iphone so you don't have any 'waste of designs' to choose from.

First things first... Actually I never stated nor indicated that I wanted an iPhone. Personally I think that its annoying and over hyped (hence the reason I use BlackBerries in the first place). Secondly, who said that the coverage was the Torch's or RIM's fault?!? I thought that I clearly stated that "At&t's 3G" was weak as for "Boston"! As for waste of design the keyboard and touchscreen are nice features, but with it constantly freezing, what good is it?, I'm not the only one you might need to read around before you give suggestions, otherwise you look like a fool in debate, thanks BTW... Follow me on twitter @IamJamik... You may learn something on independence of thought.

01-15-11 03:13 PM
    If you noticed I suggest you move to a different carrier. Also, you said "waste of design" which I took to mean form factor , being that you are complaining about the torch and it has similar specs; as many bb's do. As someone who thinks those new leaked specs are "corporate death" I don't think you know what independent thought is...I have been reading this forum since before we knew what this phone would be called, I know the 'freezing' you speak of and have yet to see any of it on my device or others. That leads me to believe its either; A) made up BS or B) few and far between, or maybe even C) third party apps that not many people use. Muting, also few and far between. Inactive icons, never heard of, probably a theme issue. Anyway, I hope you find a device you love as much as I love my torch!
    GL

Last edited by dfairlite; 01-15-11 at 05:36 PM.
    01-15-11 05:33 PM
    I wouldn't waste your time. He's just venting his spleen and more than a bit touchy despite his lecture about free speech. The Torch is a great phone, and while I'm sure that something even better will come out, I'm quite happy with my little flame for now.

Someone will always want to pi$$ on your cornflakes. Don't let 'em! ;-)
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-15-11 06:18 PM
    @dfairlite I am so sorry for working your nerves but c'mon seriously. Check the forums dude, I'm not the only one going through it on this phone. It is what it is. I love BlackBerries and RIM, but we all know that they are falling further and further behind iPhone's and Android's alike. Take a look at Advertisements and Billboards, Apps are commonly being developed for other platforms rather than ‪ . As for @webmaster..."Freedom of Speech" it was more about freedom of choice. That was mentioned nowhere. Did you have a bowl of Corn Flakes and Pi$$ before posting? Lol Just joshin' around with you sucka's! Y'all be cool! Much love for ‪ and RIM!

01-17-11 09:20 PM
    Falling behind is a subjective phrase I think. As dfairlite said,my BB does everything I need it to do. I,and many people I know, aren't hung up on the newest and coolest features that come out almost daily. I am over 30 so that explains a lot. I just want it to work and be reliable. It is.

01-17-11 09:36 PM
    @mcg3745 I understand that my friend...All jokes aside, my point is that we all have personal preferences. Where you may like something...I may not. And that's that! Congrats if it does everything that you need it to do! That has nothing to do with the "Torch" that I am holding in my hands. That's you and the one that you purchased. To let you know I happen to be well past 30, and don't go for every bell and whistle that's thrown out at me. I just expected more than what I received after all the hype behind it. Be easy on yourself and stop getting worked all out of shape over opinion! Geesh, for crying out loud! ;>)

01-17-11 09:47 PM

I have had none of the problems you are describing. I wonder what OS version you are running and what apps you have installed or themes. Sometimes the problems you describe are related to them.

If you transferred stuff over from your other phone, sometimes there are some problems related to that, espcially with themes. Also the SD card, if you moved it from your previous phone may need to be reformmated.

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting.
    Yeah, I haven't had any of those issues- with the exception being an occassional lag issue prior to upgrading my OS. Whereas my wife has the original device OS with no issues. However, she has minimal apps and/or themes on hers.
    01-17-11 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD