So I went on this live chat thing with rogers and talked to a rep just to see what they had to say about the 9800... I didn't get much info from her, either she didn't know much or she wasn't able to tell me, anyways this is our conversation..

Lauren says:
    Hi Jean, I was told I qualify for an upgrade, and the phone I wanted to upgrade to is the blackberry 9800.. I know it's not out yet but I was just wondering if you were able to give me any information on when you guys are expecting it, I've heard aug 15th but I just wanted to see from you guys if that was true. hopefully you can help me out!

Jean says:
    Yes very soon. I do not have a specific date yet but I have heard we will be carrying it very shortly

Lauren says:
    awesome news, do you know what the prices will be for lets say the 3 year contract

Jean says:
    Maybe 299

Jean says:
    I do not know I apologize

Lauren says:
    that's okay, so all they have been saying is that you guys will have it shortly?

Jean says:
    Yes

Jean says:
    That is all I have heard so far

Lauren says:
    cool! Guess I'll just have to keep checking the stores. Thanks for your time =)

So I'm not sure what very shortly is... but thats good news!
    07-21-10 10:39 AM
    sounds like me talking to the peeps at att and best buy.
    I tell them I am due for an upgrade, and then ask about any new blackberrys... hoping they bring up the 9800 first.

i hope she's wrong with the $299, it's suppose to be more competitive then that.
    07-21-10 11:08 AM
    Yeah i have a feeling the 299 will be wrong, even the iphone wasn't 299 when it first came out for a 3 yr contract haha
    07-21-10 11:10 AM
    Everyone says shortly, which can mean anything lol. I've heard shortly turn into over 6 months....
    07-21-10 11:55 AM
    I'm due a HUP through Rogers too. Just holding out for the 9800, otherwise I would already have gotten a 9700 a couple months ago.

I feel like really big things are about to happen in the Smartphone arena over the next 2 months, only reason I've held out so long.
    07-21-10 12:02 PM
    The 9000 was a $300 upgrade on AT&T when it first dropped, and that was with a $100 rebate.
    07-21-10 12:20 PM
    got mine 900 at $199 at FS 1.5 year ago and it was on "special" because the reg price was $299CAN
    07-21-10 12:30 PM
    I'll be depressed if the 9800 launches at 299 with a 3 year contract
    07-21-10 12:31 PM
    3 year contracts are just plain absurd... Good for the phone carrier, but extremely stupid for the user...
    07-21-10 12:49 PM
    when I got my 9000 when it first came out I paid $100 for a 3 yr contract and got a $50 rebate
    07-21-10 12:53 PM
    Good things come to those who wait!

Lauren.. patience =P...
    p.s. yes im due for an upgrade too! and im kickin myself for getting a storm 2 just 2 months ago.. but im defo going for the 9800 as soon as it's out in the UK!
    07-21-10 01:01 PM
    Good things come to those who wait!

Lauren.. patience =P...
    p.s. yes im due for an upgrade too! and im kickin myself for getting a storm 2 just 2 months ago.. but im defo going for the 9800 as soon as it's out in the UK!
    haha oh I got the patience, I'm liking this phone a lot so I'll wait however long I have to... but it's always fun to see what different rep people have to say about it hehe.. most times each person says something different
    07-21-10 01:11 PM
    I too have an upgrade coming in Sept. But I'm gonna wait till ATT start putting up refurbished Sliders and get on of those. I never buy the initial devices and I always get the refurbs for free. So all you impatient guinea pigs please buy away and do the "consumer testing" side of this device for me. )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 01:31 PM
    so, I've been killing time at work seeing how I'm the only one here so i went back on the chat with a rogers rep, and talked about the 9800, clearly I have nothing better to do, but it's all good .. I also tried talking to more than one person but I kept getting the same people on the stupid chat
    anywhoo... heres what this guy had to say

Lauren says:hey Shehzad. I was told I qualify for an upgrade, and the phone I wanted to upgrade to is the blackberry 9800.. I know it's not out yet but I was just wondering if you were able to give me any information on when you guys are expecting it, I've heard aug 15th but I just wanted to see from you guys if that was true. hopefully you can help me out!

Shehzad says:I can certainly look into the issue for you

Lauren says:alright

Shehzad says:Thank you for holding, unfortunately there is no specific release date as to when the 9800 will be released.

Lauren says: oh lame.. I was hoping you would be able to give me an idea on when it was coming out....will rogers be getting the 9800?

Then he left............
    07-21-10 02:46 PM
    The 9000 was a $300 upgrade on AT&T when it first dropped, and that was with a $100 rebate.
    i got mine a month after release for $200. either way, what a waste of money for what i got. I was pretty pissed how fast the 9700 came out after the 9000, it had the 5.0 os. lol.
    07-21-10 03:19 PM
    i never heard of a 3 yr contract till today? being a large business customer, i get the 2 yr att contract price, without the contract.
    07-21-10 03:22 PM
    I always get the 3 year contract because then I pay less.. but with rogers after a yr you can get an upgrade as long as you always pay your bill on time... at least thats what they always tell me
    07-21-10 03:24 PM
    so, I've been killing time at work seeing how I'm the only one here so i went back on the chat with a rogers rep, and talked about the 9800, clearly I have nothing better to do, but it's all good .. I also tried talking to more than one person but I kept getting the same people on the stupid chat
    anywhoo... heres what this guy had to say

Lauren says:hey Shehzad. I was told I qualify for an upgrade, and the phone I wanted to upgrade to is the blackberry 9800.. I know it's not out yet but I was just wondering if you were able to give me any information on when you guys are expecting it, I've heard aug 15th but I just wanted to see from you guys if that was true. hopefully you can help me out!

Shehzad says:I can certainly look into the issue for you

Lauren says:alright

Shehzad says:Thank you for holding, unfortunately there is no specific release date as to when the 9800 will be released.

Lauren says: oh lame.. I was hoping you would be able to give me an idea on when it was coming out....will rogers be getting the 9800?

Then he left............
    ROFLMAO. "Then he left"
    Shehzad was probably sitting next to the lady you were talking to earlier.
    07-21-10 03:24 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised. Frick I've tried 5 times and I either get that dude or Jean.. like does anyone else work there!!!!!!
    07-21-10 03:26 PM
    your bill on time... at least thats what they always tell me
    It is 2yrs now with Rogers for a smartphone.
    07-21-10 04:06 PM
    I always get the 3 year contract because then I pay less.. but with rogers after a yr you can get an upgrade as long as you always pay your bill on time... at least thats what they always tell me
    I believe the yearly upgrade only applies towards regular mobile phones. Smart phone upgrades are every two years.
    07-21-10 04:12 PM
    i never heard of a 3 yr contract till today? being a large business customer, i get the 2 yr att contract price, without the contract.
    In Canada, (on Rogers and Fido, dunno about the other networks) we have 3 year terms on smart phones ... ie: iphones and BBs for maximum subsidy on the unit. But as someone said- you can upgrade way before the 3 year point. The long contract is there to insure you stay with them. You don't have to wait that long for a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 05:10 PM

Then he left............
    haha oh boy...

a flirtacious *wink* at that point might have helped your situation...

(albeit i should really be calling it "our" situation...)
    07-21-10 05:22 PM
    Oh and just to put it out there, tried my luck with Voda UK customer service today... they (apparently) just seemed to have had a "briefing" by blackberry... but there was no mention about any 9800.

they did however get hands-on with the pearl 3g that's coming out soon here!

So he was just like "sorry... don't think we're gonna carry that..."

I was like "never say never my friend..."

lol
    07-21-10 05:24 PM
    not true no more, now it's 2 years before upgrade, even if you pay all your bills on time
    07-21-10 11:12 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD