Hey all,

I thought I'd share my experiences with the 9800.

I LOVE this phone. It's by far the best I've ever owned, the best BlackBerry as far as I'm concerned.

These are the issues I've encountered:

1) I have the 'metallic' sound when I talk. The listener says I sound just fine, but I can hear myself talking in my ear. It's not a huge issue, and if I turn down the volume during a call, I don't hear it as much. I'm not worried. It sounds like a few other people have this issue, and though some have had theirs replaced, it still exists. If they fix it, great, if not, I'll live with it.

2) When I first got the phone (from an ATT retail store), they popped in my SIM card and battery, and much to my surprise, I had no reception at my office anymore, where I'd previously had several bars. I noticed the phone appeared to be stuck on GSM (not EDGE or 3G), and as such, BBM and other data apps refused to work - at all. I pulled the battery, and upon coming back up, it switched to EDGE and I got the message saying my BB was registered on the network. It's been working just fine, ever since. Weird, huh?

3) I have a passcode set on my 9800, and after I type it in, there's a delay of 3-4 seconds (after the passcode dialogue disappears) where touching the screen or touchpad does nothing. It's nothing more than a lag, and I'm not sure if it's because of GMail/Google Sync, or something else I've downloaded, but just thought I'd see if anyone else noticed a delay in being able to use the device, after putting in their passcode.

A few personal thoughts: I had considered getting an iPhone 4 prior to buying the 9800 (I had a 9000, and prior to that a 3GS). I opted to get the 9800, as it met my needs, without going overkill. That, and I'm a BBM addict. Do I need a thousand apps? Nope. Do I need tons of flashlight/fart apps and "games"? Nope, that's why I have a DS. Do I need a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU in my phone, requiring I charge it every few hours/day? Nope, so long as the OS runs smoothly (and OS 6 has been smooth as silk), there's no need (that I can see) for such intense hardware. Oh, and just for fun, I picked up the iPhone 4 at the AT&T store, and holding it in my right hand (with my middle and ring fingers against the left side), I watched the signal go from 5 bars of 3G, to no connectivity at all. I wasn't sure what to believe with the whole antennae fiasco, but it certainly looks like Apple screwed something up there. Oops.
    Last edited by jasphair; 08-13-10 at 07:27 AM.
    08-13-10 07:25 AM
    The part where you have, "A few personal thoughts...", that is funny...

I had an issue where when it's connected to the charger, the screen refuses to function. All to weird. I've not even tried a call on it yet, to hear this metalic type call people seem to be referring to.

And I'm desperately trying to get use to the typing on the virtual keyboard (currently an iPhone 4 user)...
    08-13-10 10:02 AM
    I love the hardware buttons, and will likely return my iPhone 4, as it's only real advantage (for me) is the 720p video camera- but how often will I need that as opposed to answering text and email all day, every day?
    08-13-10 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD