Please help! I am now on my second Torch, LOVE the phone but while I am on a call I can hear a "tin can" noise as I speak. The caller on the other end hears nothing but I hear it every time I speak and it's driving me crazy. This is a real deal breaker for me because underneath all the glitz it is just a phone and if it doesn't make calls well then it's not the phone for me.

Anybody else having similar issues and did swapping for another Torch fix it? I have tried talking with the slider open and that doesn't help at all!
    08-27-10 06:36 AM
    Get the 161 patch, it's a software issue.
    08-27-10 07:22 AM
    Some people report their phones don't exhibit this problem while others have said many that many exchanges later, they are still having the problem.

I also read where switching the phone from ear to ear during the call somehow stops the phenom. Maybe it has something to do with the screen coming out of lock via the prox switch?

The .161 patch is reported to eliminate it. Can't say for sure as mine has worked great right out of the box.

There are tons of posts on this issue.
    08-27-10 07:35 AM
    I have read that the 161 patch has been known to cause some other issues with the phone. Have you tried it and how hard is it to install? I'm pretty new to the Blackberry game and have never done anything like that to my phone. Also, would putting that on there void my warranty? Like I said, I'm very new to this and have never had a problem with my previous Blackberry. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
    08-27-10 07:40 AM
    I have not tried it as I have no need too but I have read where there are a few other minor 'bugs' that come with .161. Again, lots of good reading on here about all of this.

If you want to install the .161 OS, there are several threads with step-by-step instructions on how to. It might seem overwhelming the first time but it's really not. Just follow the directions. Will it void the warranty?... I doubt it but I'd guess that would be a call someone replacing the phone would have to make. Keep in mind if you are with ATT... the .161 OS is not an official ATT release.
    08-27-10 08:07 AM
    I have not tried it as I have no need too but I have read where there are a few other minor 'bugs' that come with .161. Again, lots of good reading on here about all of this.

If you want to install the .161 OS, there are several threads with step-by-step instructions on how to. It might seem overwhelming the first time but it's really not. Just follow the directions. Will it void the warranty?... I doubt it but I'd guess that would be a call someone replacing the phone would have to make. Keep in mind if you are with ATT... the .161 OS is not an official ATT release.

Does it being official matter if it fixes the issue for the OP like many others with the issue have reported?
    08-27-10 08:09 AM
    I am not trying to do anything that would void my warranty. If it is a software problem how come every one with a Torch isn't reporting the problem. There are plenty of folks who don't hear this noise when they are on the phone. I have tried 3 different Torch's now and I have heard the issue on all 3. This is incredibly frustrating!
    08-27-10 08:36 AM
    try the patch first..
    then if you must exchange the device..
    try a different retail store..
    and can you post to the thread where your torch was manufactured?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/po...origin-514378/
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 08-27-10 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added info
    08-27-10 08:38 AM
    Lol, running any certain load will not void your warranty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 08:45 AM
    I don't seem to be having any problems with the call quality except for the first call I made on the device. There was a bit of static but I've been find after that.

08-27-10 08:48 AM
    Does it being official matter if it fixes the issue for the OP like many others with the issue have reported?
    Nope, it doesn't to me... but... the OP was concerned about voiding the warranty and indicated little to no experience with installing OS's. Just posting the fact that .161 isn't an 'official' fix put out there just to solve this problem.
    08-27-10 09:05 AM
    Nobody has experience at first loading an OS. That is not limited to BB. That is why forums like CB exist. The instructions and tools requied are in the beta OS and How To sections of the forums.

All that's requied is:

About 2 hours (go very slow the first time:read twice, then do),
    1 roll of paper towels,
    1 can of Lysol to clean the stains out of your chair (first time seeing all the expected errors and maybe a few that are not),
    The OS installed on your PC,
    The guide,
    A few tools of your choice (found in the guides).

Any issues our questions, just create a thread and send a few PMs, help will soon arrive.

Last edited by shansmi; 08-27-10 at 09:45 AM.
    08-27-10 09:20 AM
    LOL... that pretty much sums up a noobie's first OS load.... thanks! you made my day!
    08-27-10 09:23 AM
    I get that crackling tin noise as well. Not on every call but I have had it since day one. That coupled with the phone call plastic button coming off, the annoying OS with all the scrollling and the lack of a proper unlock without using a password or adding an app will likely send me back this weekend for a return. I've given this phone 2 weeks and am disappointed.
    08-27-10 11:50 AM
    I need to try the .161 patch for the 'tinny' sound on my torch also but am nervous. I love technology, but it doesn't always love me back! LOL!

I will give it a go this afternoon though. Cross your fingers for me please!
    08-27-10 12:21 PM
    This has basically been said in bits and pieces, but to sum it up:

I have the same issue with sound quality. I downloaded and installed the latest OS leak (.161) and the call quality was 100%. However, I had to reinstall the current version because there were issues needing to be addressed (applications not working, phone freezing, etc).

I can deal with the sound quality until the official update is released. Rest assured, it will be fixed.
    08-27-10 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD