I bought the Torch on the release day and have been using since. I love this phone and like it more and more every day. Last week I put the .214 OS on. .214 made it even better.

One thing that hardly gets talked about here is how good all Blackberries are at what Blackberry is known for: communicating. I mostly use e-mail on an enterpise system. I have access to my e-mail, calender and contacts when I need them. This is not something you can assume will happen on other platforms. The full keyboard makes using the system great, I have tried to use the virtual keyboard and, to my surprise, I am pretty good at it. I make less mistakes on it than I do on the iPhone. So, communication is easy and a pleasure. This is enough for many people.

But, the Torch is also supposed to be for fun. This is how I used the Torch yesterday: I had an appointment yesterday and I had to sit around for a few hours. I pull out my Torch and browse the web for a while. Everything comes up quickly and accurately. I get bored with that. I listen to some music. I take a few calls. I watch some You Tube. I watch some TV on my Slingbox. I browse for music on 7 Digital. I leave the appointment and go on some errands, I use the phone throughout the day. I use the Garmin trial app for true turn by turn directions. All of this works flawlessly. At the end of the day, I still had battery to spare. Is this fun enough?

Some other comments: the Torch has never crashed on me; I have never depleted my battery in a single day; I never made an embarrasing typing mistake in an e-mail like so many people I know who use phones that only have virtual keyboards; I type in complete sentences because it is easy to do it; the device is quick, smooth and lag free.

Would I want a bigger higher res screen? Not unless I could have it without sacrificing battery life. Would I want a faster processor? Not really, the Torch is plenty fast for everything that it does. How about more and better Apps? Of course, RIM has a way to go to make App World competitive.

I really hope the word gets out on the Torch and especially on how good OS6 really is. I picked up my wife's 9700 yesterday and tried tapping the screen to open a program. I laughed at myself.
    Last edited by lawguyman; 09-12-10 at 07:10 AM.
    09-12-10 07:08 AM
    I enjoyed reading your post. Not because it's a Blackberry, but because you enjoyed your device and it just shows through.
    09-12-10 07:28 AM
    I agree with DG. So many negative posts have cropped up lately that it makes me cringe when I come here. It really is good to see someone is really enjoying their device and getting the most out it. Thanks for sharing Law.
    09-12-10 07:40 AM
    Today is the last day for me to return the Torch...
    and i'm happy to say that i have never thought of doing that since the 12th..
    and with the new OS 6.0.0.214, everything and i mean everything feels to be smoother..
    gonna stay with with.. i feel sorry for those who spend aroune 30 minutes with the device and never really gave it a fair chance.
    09-12-10 07:43 AM
    We're loving ours!!!!

Got the Otterbox out and put it in a case, and it's actually extending the battery life so that now past one and a half days, so I'm a happy camper!!!! Not up to the 9700 battery life, but certainly past the one day that I got the first couple of days.
    09-12-10 07:59 AM
    I have depleted my battery more than once.. Just because I'm on it all day.. This is a great device but not good enough to keep me fron selling it and getting a 9780~ can't wait

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 08:07 AM
    Nice post, OP.
    I'm loving my Torch and never thought about switching back. (to my 9700. My wife has it now and wouldn't give it back anyway)
    This thing does everything I need it to do.
    I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about it.
    I guess, if I had to pick something....I wish the camera shutter speed was faster.
    I'm extremely happy with my Torch and I'm stoked to see what RIM does for an encore!!!
    Good job RIM.
    09-12-10 08:33 AM
    I got my Torch 30 days ago also. I've loved it right from the start. Best Blackberry to date.
    09-12-10 09:21 AM
    Yeah - good post, OP. My 9800 does what I want it to do as well or better than my beloved 9000. For the complainers out there, for the life of me, I can't find a product of any kind out there that does everything for everybody. I am patient that RIM will respond to the pressures of competition ( competition is a good thing for everybody ) and we will all benefit.
    09-12-10 09:22 AM
    lawguyman agree with you 100% and purchased mine on launch day too. First and foremost my Smartphone has to be an extention of my office. I have been on company Blackberry since 2002 - first BB e-mail only, next BB added phone, third added camera and limited web surfing (8310) and now the Torch. When on the road I am this close now to being able to leave the laptop at the office. I attended 3 day seminar last week and didn't fire up the laptop at all. Also didn't have one dropped call or any reception problems when on calls. Someone sent me a document to review - no ptoblem. Opened in documents to go, made changes and sent back. Another needed wording of a regulation - no problem. Able to surf web copy needed info and send back. And then...at night and while at airport, I was able to keep myself amused, find places to go at night, listen to music, check TV schedules, etc. Will be 100% happy when the ap world catches up with us - as able to view news clips etc as I have limited interest in viewing clips on YouTube. Oh and my Torch has been solid out of the box (Mexico 4). I love my Torch!

09-12-10 09:37 AM
    I love my Torch and that's coming from an Apple crazed iPhone 4 using zombie lol. I'm glad to be back on here with a Berry again
    09-12-10 09:48 AM
    Had mine sense launch day too. Totaly extatic with mine. Now that I have loaded the new OS leak I am blown away. I am convinced the browser rendering is easily as fast as the iphone now. Like most of you, my main use from a phone is communication. Heavily use the physical keyboard and with new OS update the virtual one isn't bad either. Only one small quirk with mine. When I want to expand the home screen dock up to full, I have to swipe it several times to get it to release up. Is it just my phone with this quirk? I came from a 8520 and having a large screen AND full gps functions makes me say this is the best device I have ever owned.
    09-12-10 10:03 AM
    I'm a new Blackberry convert. Been using an iPhone 3G since it came out with Rogers back in Canada two years ago. That iPhone and I went through heck (oh, I can't say the double-L version) and high water together, I jailbroke the crap out of it, dropped it every which way possible, and yet I still can't express how refreshing the 9800 has been.

Initially I had some serious qualms about the lagginess and the build quality (actually, I'm still not the biggest fan, but there are moving parts so I can only ask for so much). Actually, I didn't realize how many problems there were on it until I came on these forums. Then I remembered: it's just a phone!

Even before updating to .214, I realized that I was using this thing more than my laptop. Anyway, here's to hoping the slider lasts until my next BB or until the iPhone gets more productive.
    09-12-10 10:08 AM
    Nice post, OP.
    I'm loving my Torch and never thought about switching back. (to my 9700. My wife has it now and wouldn't give it back anyway)
    This thing does everything I need it to do.
    I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about it.
    I guess, if I had to pick something....I wish the camera shutter speed was faster.
    I'm extremely happy with my Torch and I'm stoked to see what RIM does for an encore!!!
    Good job RIM.
    Glad you're all loving it! Can't wait for mine.

As for the post above, isn't there a "sports mode" option that makes the shutter instant? Or am I sadly mistaken..
    09-12-10 10:26 AM
    I loved this review of this phone.
    Law kept the phone in perspective, it's a phone, not a replacement laptop.
    I keep hearing people complaining about this and that. oh lag this internet that.
    I ask them did you upload the .214 update and they look at me dumbfounded. I mean people if you dont give the thing a chance whats the point in even buying it?
    Are you expecting it to build an island for you when you unpackage it?

All in all Law thanks for your view on the phone and i can't wait to get mine on the 24th.
    09-12-10 10:59 AM
    Got mine launch day and still loving it. Luckily I haven't had any of the problems others have had.
    09-12-10 11:07 AM
    I got my Torch on launch day - I had to swap it for the front key issue, but this one seems to be a keeper. I actually returned the first Torch as I wasn't dead set on it - but after I went back to my 9700, the screen seemed so small! Not too mention the other features I missed. When I returned the Torch, the AT&T manager was a "head with no ears" and more or less said I messed the front keys up - I actually pointed him to this forum to show him there are and were problems with the keys lifting. In any event, I refuse to deal with his narrow a$$. So I call AT&T and see what they can do to get me back into a Torch. They offered me the Torch for $99, but I still had to pay the $75 early upgrade fee. Done. And they threw in free overnight shipping as well. I will note that my first Torch was made in Mexico 4 and this one was made in Mexico 5. It appears the "5" version is tight all the way around. I love the Torch and will keep it - until the Torch 2 comes out!
    09-12-10 11:16 AM
    I returned to BB after a year with iPhone 3GS. We're a Mac family and I never thought I'd release the iPhone but endless frustration over countless dropped calls and I said, "Enough!". LOVE my Torch and find it's much more versatile that the iPhone particularly when it comes to customizing. Not one dropped call. Not one day where I've had to recharge the battery several times. It is great. Just waiting for more apps and themes. . .
    09-12-10 11:20 AM
    I had a Bold 9700 for nine months and loved it though it was an incremental upgrade over my 9000. The trackpad alone made it worth it.
    But, once I got the Torch, also on launch day, the 9700 was destined for sale on ebay. I got almost as much as I paid for it when I bought it. I didn't touch the 9700 again until I prepped it for sale a week after purchasing the Torch. Nothing about selling it made me sad.
    So, I totally feel the same way, the Torch after a month is great. And I'm sure I'll love it until the next BB comes out that I want. I've gotten the past four flagship BB devices the week of launch from at&t. This is my seventh BB since May 2006 when I jumped into it feet first with an 8700. It is by far my favorite BlackBerry.
    After using a Pre Plus a few months ago, I wasn't sure I'd love the form factor, but something about a BB with a touch screen and sliding keyboard that just works better than any other device I've had.
    Like a couple others have posted, I'm definitely looking forward to more themes and more apps will be nice, but I'm not a big app user anyway so not a dealbreaker for me.
    It is nice to read posts like this. No remorse here as my 30 day return period ends.
    09-12-10 12:45 PM
    Glad you're all loving it! Can't wait for mine.

As for the post above, isn't there a "sports mode" option that makes the shutter instant? Or am I sadly mistaken..
    Yeah, you're correct. "Sports mode" does give quicker shutter speed. That's pretty muck where I leave it. Its a breeze to change photo modes/settings too, so no biggie.

09-12-10 12:54 PM
    I was going crazy with anticipation for this phone. I bought it on the release day for $500 since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I love it! And I agree it has only gotten better with .214. As for resolution, my 40 something eyes can't tell the difference and I wouldn't want to sacrifice battery life either. I have had two pearls, a 9000, and a 9700. I really liked my 9700 but I love this phone!
    09-12-10 01:51 PM
    My 9700 finally its new home with my MIL. I have mine since launch day and still finding new things that I like about my Torch.

09-12-10 02:03 PM
    loving mine also. Did the update to .214 and it's even better than before.
    09-12-10 04:12 PM
    To the OP:

Thank you for posting your positive experience.
    You inspired me..

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...59#post5573559
    09-12-10 06:16 PM
    To the OP:

Thank you for posting your positive experience.
    You inspired me..

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...59#post5573559
    dude i just read your post and it was awesome as I replied lol.
    09-12-10 07:23 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD