Is it possible to use mobile internet without Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) on BB Tourch 9800?

It is GSM version, currently I use it with AT&T SIM. Voice/text work, internet access via Wi-Fi also, but now internet connectivity via mobile network (I added correct APN to config in Advanced Settings/TcpIP).

As far as I understand, this device is not supported anymore and there is no way (and no desire from my side) to subscribe to BIS.... Or, may be, I am wrong in this point...
    08-21-19 08:21 AM
    Is it possible to use mobile internet without Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) on BB Tourch 9800?

It is GSM version, currently I use it with AT&T SIM. Voice/text work, internet access via Wi-Fi also, but now internet connectivity via mobile network (I added correct APN to config in Advanced Settings/TcpIP).

As far as I understand, this device is not supported anymore and there is no way (and no desire from my side) to subscribe to BIS.... Or, may be, I am wrong in this point...
    I'd start here The Bold Explorer

I taught AT&T was still supporting BIS....
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-21-19 08:55 AM
    AT&T does still support BIS... so far.

But, only on post-paid plans, and you have to get a BlackBerry Data Plan through them (that's what they called their BIS plans), or they won't know to send the proper service books to the device.

Then it will ask you to create a BIS account on the phone. Similarly, you can go to:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

...to access or create the account there. That link is the AT&T BIS portal.
    08-21-19 09:14 AM
    AT&T does still support BIS... so far.

But, only on post-paid plans, and you have to get a BlackBerry Data Plan through them (that's what they called their BIS plans), or they won't know to send the proper service books to the device.

Then it will ask you to create a BIS account on the phone. Similarly, you can go to:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

...to access or create the account there. That link is the AT&T BIS portal.
    Are you currently using a BBOS/BIS device on AT&T?
    08-21-19 10:26 AM
    Are you currently using a BBOS/BIS device on AT&T?
    I'm not, but there are other forum members here who are. There was a thread a week or two ago where it came up. Although, my last BBOS phone was also a 9800 Torch. Sold it back in 2013 when I got the Z10.

However, AT&T is getting to a point where they will stop activating any 3G only phone on their network. While they do plan to keep a 3G network alive a bit longer than they originally planned (sometime in 2020 was the original shut-down), they soon will only activate phones that have VoLTE capability. Actually surprised they aren't already doing that.
    08-21-19 10:47 AM
    I am using AT&T MVNO, not AT&T itself, so, there is no way to subscribe to BIS (and I do not want to pay for BIS). My only question was is it any way to use mobile internet on BB Torch without subscribing to BIS (my assumption is no, but I would like to be sure).
    08-21-19 11:03 AM
    However, AT&T is getting to a point where they will stop activating any 3G only phone on their network. While they do plan to keep a 3G network alive a bit longer than they originally planned (sometime in 2020 was the original shut-down), they soon will only activate phones that have VoLTE capability. Actually surprised they aren't already doing that.
    AT&T does not activate phones. You can use AT&T SIM card with any phone (with VoLTE or without VoLTE) that supports 3G network AT&T. The only thing AT&T can do is to force its suppliers (that manufacture AT&T branded phones) to manufacture only VoLTE capable phones.

But regarding old BB phones: indeed, AT&T can say "This is not VoLTE phone and we are not going to enable BIS plan for this phone. As result of this, this phone can be used only for calls and text and, depending on app, for internet access/browsing via Wi-Fi because some app requires mobile data and can not be used on Wi-Fi).
    08-21-19 11:11 AM
    I'm not, but there are other forum members here who are. There was a thread a week or two ago where it came up. Although, my last BBOS phone was also a 9800 Torch. Sold it back in 2013 when I got the Z10.

A couple years ago I decided I wanted to try a Torch 9810. I found an AT&T model and went to a local AT&T store to get it set up. It was like none of them had ever seen a BBOS device before, let alone set one up. They told me it was fine to set it up on a prepaid plan. Found out the hard way that wasn't correct. I finally got up and running and tried it out for a few months. I really miss those BBOS devices. Nothing has been quite as magical since, though BB10 devices came close.
    08-21-19 11:18 AM
    I'd start here The Bold Explorer
    Thank you. That's all I need (hopefully it is applicable to BB Torch).
    08-21-19 11:29 AM
    I'll chime in here. AT&T only activates BIS on postpaid account. I activated Torch All-Touch 9860 around latter part of 2016 and kept active until middle of 2018 for BIS fun. Adding to my account, device IMEI allowed for automatic BIS setup. The store rep had no idea that it even happened. There's NO extra charge for BIS data as it takes place of regular data plan.

If you're going to use any BBOS device at this point, Torch 9800/9810 and 9860 AT&T carrier devices are great on BIS compared to without. I've never seen any great savings with AT&T MVNO or prepaid AT&T over postpaid AT&T but I have a multiple line account.

To really enjoy the BBOS hardware, pay the little extra to have the full BIS experience while you can. After 12/31/2019, there's no certainty what the remaining carrier will do on their end but 3G will sunset eventually, sooner than later.
    08-21-19 12:06 PM
    As of today, 3G sunset time is April 2022. Regarding BIS, I do not think FreeUp Mobile allows BIS with its service.
    Last edited by danicell; 08-21-19 at 10:01 PM.
    08-21-19 01:46 PM
    Didn't AT&T change the sunset date last month to 12/31/2021?

BlackBerry had the sunset for BIS at the end of this year.... their recent announcement "might" have extended that for them. But who knows what Carrier's individually will do...
    08-22-19 07:38 AM