I took my kiddos to McD's tonight and when I pulled up in the drive thru my Torch popped up with a little blurb about "ATT Mobile Hotspot located - would you like to login" (or something similar). I didn't search or anything, just sitting there in the drive thru and it popped up on my phone. That's FREAKEN' AWESOME!!

These here dang fangled phones is perty smart
    08-26-10 09:44 PM
    The Wifi is included in the data plan, right? or we have to pay?
    08-26-10 09:59 PM
    I would assume that logging into a "free" ATT hotspot would be just like logging into your WiFi @ home? But I do not know for sure.
    08-26-10 10:04 PM
    that's interesting that it tells you that it found an att thing.. has it ever acknowledge any other 'free' wifi connection.

must be built into the software installed

I know my isp here had them support fast wifi broadband if you were a user at maccas. but maccas (mcD's) has wifi everywhere. dont know if there's any discernible difference. if its free,its free. not using yer phone data!?

can the torch be a mobile hotspot? now that would be awesome!
    08-26-10 11:08 PM
    AT&T Wi-Fi is included in your data plan with AT&T. Typically, it will recognize your phone and service and allow you to connect normally as you would at home. Otherwise, you enter in your account username/password...that's how I remember it anyway. But last I checked, using a supported browser of an AT&T phone will allow you to by-pass the login page (that was one of the ways around when they charged you if you had Safari in Developer Mode set to iPhone Mobile Safari)

Also, the Torch cannot be a mobile hotspot. It does not have the software nor does AT&T support it at this time.
    08-26-10 11:44 PM
    @zenson; no, my phone has not given me that automatic popup when I have entered into other WiFi areas.
    08-27-10 07:06 AM
    i dont get pop up notifications, it just auto connects on mine, its part of the data plan which is why i wish I could switch my existing home service to them totally but their speeds are slower than my cable now and I have too many trees for the dish to work. effin pine trees.
    08-27-10 07:45 AM
    i dont get pop up notifications, it just auto connects on mine, its part of the data plan which is why i wish I could switch my existing home service to them totally but their speeds are slower than my cable now and I have too many trees for the dish to work. effin pine trees.
    I don't recall, but it may have given me a "do not display this message" check box so that it would automatically connect in the future.
    08-27-10 08:32 AM
    it's part of the data plan that you're paying..
    in some McDonald's i get instant connection.. meaning i'm surprised that i'm already using wifi instead of the 3G
    in other places i get the pop up!

sweet!
    08-27-10 08:36 AM
    My 9700 has been doing that for ever. Its ok if you want to use it, kind of annoying if you don't.

You can turn that feature off.
    08-27-10 09:40 AM

Also, the Torch cannot be a mobile hotspot. It does not have the software nor does AT&T support it at this time.
    Though the Torch can not be a hotspot, it does do tethering and AT&T offers a plan (extra $20 a month to your data plan). There are also free ways to enable the feature.
    08-27-10 11:23 AM
    i haven't tried this yet but i will ride by known places with wifi
    09-04-10 11:34 AM
    They need to be ATT hotspots.McD Sbucks...
    09-04-10 04:06 PM
    Surf on the BB while you eat a Big Mac.....one handed of course.
    09-04-10 07:13 PM
    will do...lol
    09-04-10 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD