I've had many smartphones over the years, from most OSs (currently using a Nokia E72), but I have never considered a BlackBerry as it's been so focused on messaging, until 6, which looks quite good (=functional) in the videos.

Since I've never used a BB I have some general/basic questions, which I ask here since I'm interested in the Torch; if I can't get the answers here I don't know where I would...

- I assume it's possible to use a BB without BBM or any kind of RIM service? Regardless, how much do the service/s cost?

- Is it possible to watch Xvid/DivX movies on the Torch? If not, are there any 3rd party apps that can provide that functionality?

- How well does the Torch/6 handle multitasking? How many apps can I realistically run simultaneously without performance loss?

- How stable is 6 (and BB OS in general)? How often do you have to restart BB phones in general, whether because of slowdowns or because it hangs?

- I believe there has been a couple of updates of the OS since the Torch was launched; are they available only through providers or also for unlocked phones (which is what I would buy)?

- Does the Torch come with any document editing apps?

- How's the bluetooth performance on the BBs? (I ask because the E72 is awful)

Thank you
    10-08-10 05:44 PM
    Most US carriers require you to purchase a data plan with new smartphone purchases. The price depends on the carrier. The phone can be used without one, but would basically be useless, as push email, BBM and internet all require a BlackBerry data plan.

Not sure about about xvid or divx movies.

The OS is quite stable, someone here posted their own stress test a little while back of having several apps open as well as quite a few tabs in the browser before he noticed any sort of sluggishness. Take a look through this forum, it's here somewhere. Generally you shouldn't have to restart this phone at all unless required with an app or theme install.

Any OS designed for the 9800 (beta or official) can be installed on it, regardless of carrier or locked or unlocked. The latest official available (.246) can easily be installed (if it doesn't come with it already).

I believe it comes with Documents to Go, a basic set of document apps that I've deleted because I don't use it.

Some people have had issues with bluetooth synching to certain car systems and some headsets. I use a Plantronics headset and it works perfectly.
    10-08-10 06:10 PM
    Yep, docstogo is free. The free version doesn't let you make new docs, but there's a simple work around.

Create empty .word, .ppt, .xls files and save to the memory card. Open them and edit them and save as a new file name, same thing as creating a new doc.

Multitasking depends on what you do... Some apps basically use up a ton of cpu power, while others might do almost nothing... No real way to answer this.
    10-08-10 06:14 PM
    I agree with everything Noah said just wanted to add XviD works, I've never tried DivX but I've heard it works.
    10-08-10 06:47 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Most US carriers require you to purchase a data plan with new smartphone purchases. The price depends on the carrier. The phone can be used without one, but would basically be useless, as push email, BBM and internet all require a BlackBerry data plan.
    I do have a data plan, but I was wondering if, in order to sign up for BBM, I need to go through a carrier to activate it or do I contact RIM personally for the service?
    Also, I take it I'd need to create new email accounts that are hosted on the BBM servers?

The OS is quite stable, someone here posted their own stress test a little while back of having several apps open as well as quite a few tabs in the browser before he noticed any sort of sluggishness. Take a look through this forum, it's here somewhere. Generally you shouldn't have to restart this phone at all unless required with an app or theme install.
    I'd be very interested in reading that thread as that is my usage pattern with all my phones.
    I've searched the forums but couldn't find that thread. You think you could post I link to it?

Any OS designed for the 9800 (beta or official) can be installed on it, regardless of carrier or locked or unlocked. The latest official available (.246) can easily be installed (if it doesn't come with it already).
    Good to know.

Yep, docstogo is free. The free version doesn't let you make new docs, but there's a simple work around.

Create empty .word, .ppt, .xls files and save to the memory card. Open them and edit them and save as a new file name, same thing as creating a new doc.
    I'm familiar with that trick for document creation - when WM Smartphone officially got the Windows office apps you had to recur to the same trick to create new documents on the phone.

I agree with everything Noah said just wanted to add XviD works, I've never tried DivX but I've heard it works.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

- Another question: will Flash 10 come to BB?

Again, thank you.
    10-09-10 01:52 PM
    Its already been in the works for a while. Realistically I would expect it on future phones though. The performance on top android phones isn't even very good

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 02:10 PM
    I do have a data plan, but I was wondering if, in order to sign up for BBM, I need to go through a carrier to activate it or do I contact RIM personally for the service?
    I think your data plan would be sufficient. I don't use BBM, which is basically just instant messaging via BlackBerry servers, but I don't think there is any additional activation required other than initially setting up the app.

Also, I take it I'd need to create new email accounts that are hosted on the BBM servers?
    Nope, no new email accounts are needed. You only need to set up any existing email account(s) with BlackBerry, which can be done online on the phone itself.

Enterprise email is a little more complicated, if that's something you're interested in ... that's a different setup process on your end which can also be done online on the phone, but it also requires your company's email administrator to set you up from their end. Be warned, depending on your company, enterprise integration will most likely require you to have to enter a password and may lock you out of some of the phone's functionality. I had it for awhile because I wanted to sync my business calendar. But the idea of needing a password to get into my own phone ended up p$ssing me off to no end, so it got canned when I replaced that phone.
    10-09-10 02:57 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

So I will get my Yahoo and Gmail email pushed: excellent!

A couple of other questions (I think I'm running out though...):

- Is it possible to add new profiles (as opposed so simply modifying the settings for the existing ones)?

- What map options are available for the GPS?

Again, thank you.
    10-09-10 05:07 PM
    profiles as in sound profiles for certain people ?

I know of google maps and the stock ones that come with it. For true turn by turn GPS I am unsure but I use google maps for most of the time.
    10-09-10 05:25 PM
    Yes you can create custom sound profiles.

I use blackberry maps which to me is just as good as google maps but people do use/prefer google maps. One thing about blackberry maps carriers are blocking access it to from what I am understanding so if you do a google search for blackberry map ribbon and download/install it you can access it with no problem.

If your carrier will allow you to get away without having a data plan you can access a lot of the features through wifi as well.

You do not need to create a blackberry email address if you do not want too.

BBM just has to be turned on/setup from your phone and it uses your PIN that comes with your phone.

Flash is currently not supported but will be in the future... not really sure if they plan on implementing it in OS6 or waiting for the new QNX OS
    10-09-10 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD