Hi all,

I've looked around on the tips forums and in here and other places on the web but seem to be stuck. My situation is that I have a work issued BB (Curve 8320 I believe it is) with T Mobile which has no signal in my area (North East PA) so basically, I have a nice paperweight. Until yesterday, I had an iPhone for personal use with a personal email on it and also using Active Sync, my work email could show up too. What was nice was that by using Active Sync I had access to our corporate global address list and could "lookup" emails vs having to type them all longhand... And here are my questions:

1.) I have 2 personal emails (local ISP and yahoo) and also my work email using OWA info on my new Torch (company won't let my new device use BES). I have rules on outlook to take everything out of the server inbox and move it to a PST locally. Obviously, if I want email to end up on the Torch, I need to disconnect outlook from server which is no big deal, I had to do this with iPhone too. So I do that any time I'm away from my desk (I work from home). Where I'm stuck is that I don't think there's a way on the Torch to access the corporate GAL is there? So that I can look up email addresses?

2.) I know this goes against BB principles, but I get a LOT of email in Yahoo because of various lists I'm on. I don't want to go to digest versions so I'm wondering if there's a way to go to a pull based email system on one account so I can tell it when to get stuff. I'm thinking when I'm in front of the computer, I just use yahoo web based mail and it's really only when I'm AFK that I'd need to see the yahoo email on my Torch but I don't want to go to web based on the Torch too (though with OS 6 the browser makes it much easier to do that!)

3.) I have a ton of calendar items (all from my work outlook calendar only since I live and die by that) and right now it's 10:13am and I have meetings at 11, 11:45 and noon that show up on the Torch calendar but when I go to the notification area, it says I have no notifications. Shouldn't calendar items a few out show up there? I am using the default Torch theme (for now, I'm investigating a theme that might allow me to show more than just the next few appointments).

Thanks in advance everyone.
    01-20-11 09:15 AM
    1: I don't think so, because you're not using BES. Can you maybe export it from outlook and somehow import it?

2: I have an email account that's like that. It gets tons of yahoo groups stuff all day. I just have that acct set to not make any noise or notifications when it gets anything incoming. Then when I go to view it, I'll just mass-mark-emails-as-read. I don't think it'll work the way you want it to, although that'd be nice.

3: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Do you have reminders set in outlook? If not, it won't send notifications to your torch.
    01-20-11 09:20 AM
    1.) Not sure... might have to play with it but I'm not seeing something obvious and I don't think I'd want a few thousand entries from the GAL in my address book.

2.) I'm wondering if there's a program/app that can go on the Torch to do email for this one account. I'm like you, so far the best I've done is no noise/vibrate on that account.

3.) I have reminders in outlook and those calendar entries and reminders look fine on the Torch but the home screen when I pull down the notification area isn't showing the next few appointments.
    01-20-11 09:32 AM
    This number 3 issue is actually #1... this is driving me nuts to not see anything in the notification area for calendar items. Texts and emails show up there just fine when I expand the area.
    01-20-11 12:16 PM
    Ok it appears I have sorted this. Now my concern is I don't know if it's the battery pull (which I'm learning from reading things seems to be the first line of troubleshooting with a BB) or the fact that I removed a theme I got yesterday that I wasn't using... anyway, now I'm in search of a way to display more than the next 3 calendar items (on busy days at work, I can have 10 meetings or so and that's why I'd like to see more).

Still hoping to get an answer to my email questions.

thanks!
    01-20-11 01:38 PM
    anyway, now I'm in search of a way to display more than the next 3 calendar items (on busy days at work, I can have 10 meetings or so and that's why I'd like to see more).
    I don't think there is a way to show more than 3 calendar entries with the built-in notification bar.

I'm using the deToday app which allows you to show up to 20 calendar entries on the home screen. As of now, it will only show appointments, not alarms or tasks. It usually goes on sale through the Crackberry store fairly regularly, or you might want to check the developer's website (OdEve) to see if they are offering a special. It also integrates very nicely with Berry Weather.

Can't help with the e-mail question.
    01-20-11 03:12 PM
    Thanks I'll give it a look.

Apparently to get the GAL, since I can't get BES for work on my personal phone, I need something like Active Sync (which iPhone and Android has).... but I don't know if "something like" Active Sync exists for BB.
    01-20-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD