I'm really considering buying a bb torch and it sounds like a pretty solid phone however, I've watched almost all the youtube reviews and read many other reviews and they say that the touchscreen is sluggish and the overall the phone is quite laggy..

Can anyone actually confirm this for me?

Is web browsing actually going to be that laggy? especially when zooming in and zooming out as that is where I see the most amount of lag. I'll probably be going on facebook the most but facebook shouldn't be too demanding on the phone should it?

thanks guys
    03-05-11 05:24 PM
    Most of the videos you are seeing online with reviews were the Torch running .246 which was quite sluggish and even in the browsing part.

I'm running .448 and I'm having no issues and browsing is pretty impressive in speed. Battery life increased quite a bit from .246 to .448. Phone runs really smooth (at least mine does). Both .448 and .450 is to fix alot of the issues from the original stock OS
    03-05-11 05:40 PM
    I'm running .448 and I'm having no issues and browsing is pretty impressive in speed. Battery life increased quite a bit from .246 to .448. Phone runs really smooth (at least mine does). Both .448 and .450 is to fix alot of the issues from the original stock OS
    Same here. Changing to 448 made an almost new experience. The browser is fine. No fiber connection but good for a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 05:50 PM
    Most people here will tell you the OS that comes on the Torch is laggy and that you should upgrade as soon as you get the phone. I didn't experience any issues with OS6 .246. I did shortly upgrade to the .337 after getting the Torch. The browser is so fast for me and the phone in general is a breeze on .450. I don't use the touchscreen on the Torch at all so I can't comment about it being sluggish or not.

I adore my Torch. I use FB, Twitter, BBM, text, email, and music on a daily basis and have no lag issues. It is really a great device. Don't let all the nay-sayers discourage you.
    03-05-11 06:03 PM
    No lagg here on os .450

03-05-11 06:03 PM
    Torch with a current OS is very nice. I never found the phone to lag, even on the earlier .121 OS. Each OS update has made it even better. Browser is decent and much better than previous BB's, and the touch screen is very responsive. Screen response to touch gestures -- such as scrolling and pinch-zoom -- does not lag, but it's not quite as 'fluid' as what you'll find on an iPhone. It's not bad by any stretch, just not quite the same.

Some full web sites may load slower than on an iPhone or high-end Androids, and that's directly attributable to the slower processor speed. But for mobile sites, which is 99% of what I browse with the phone, the browser is perfectly adequate, especially over WiFi.

For texting, emailing, messaging, and social networking, it's as good or better than anything else out there. Facebook to the phone is just another app. I find it works quite well for the little I actually use it. You can set up notifications so that you know when you have Facebook updates without the app actually running, so it's no drag on the phone at all.

Bottom line, best phone I've ever owned.
    03-05-11 06:14 PM
    Thanks guys

the only issue was the lag and now that's cleared ill probably get it now
    03-05-11 06:43 PM
    Lag does exist, especially in the browser, but it's something that can be lived with.

For anyone that claims there's no lag, browse crackberry.com outside of the mobile view. Lagerrific!
    03-05-11 10:37 PM
    I notice lag randomly with the touch screen, no real issues in the browser in particular. I do enjoy the phone though. and there haven't been any issues in using facebook in the browser or the app.
    03-05-11 10:56 PM
    Lag does exist, especially in the browser, but it's something that can be lived with.

For anyone that claims there's no lag, browse crackberry.com outside of the mobile view. Lagerrific!

I have a couple of older spare blackberries that I use to browse the web as well and they all lag when viewing a non-wap version of any website. Ther's simply too much to load on the full version of a website thus, one of the reasons wap versions of websites were created.

03-06-11 12:00 AM
    I haven't looked at any Youtube clips of the Torch since it was released. If memory serves it was released with .141. I think the next OS was .160. .246 didn't arrive until several weeks later. I don't remember how quickly .160 came out, but once it did there was a new OS each week for 3 or 4 weeks. I would expect most reviews were done with the release OS, and as many have said here performance has increased drastically, most notably with release of .225. The only lag I notice is a slight lag moving around the home menus. That seems to be by design (who knows why) and I don't notice it beyond that.

03-06-11 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD