many ppl experienced lag when using the 9800. its all over video reviews (including CB Kevin's video) and I dont think many ppl can deny that it exists.

someone else attributed the lag to the fact that multiple people were using the units, opening far too many apps at once. they claim that the conditions the 9800 was under was out of the norm because a person would not normally have that many apps open in everyday usage in order to cause the phone to slow down - lag.

maybe those 9800 units really did lag because multiple programs were opened at once. that may very well be the case. however, is this an acceptable excuse?

my answer would be, heck no. in this day and age, we should not experience lag when scrolling on the home screen (even with multiple apps opened). that may have been acceptable 3-4 yrs ago when the pearl first came out, but i personally do not want to experience lag when performing such mundane tasks, like scrolling on the home screen or tapping the search button.

i want an os that is snappy. it does not have to be glossy or super customizable. but, i think it is not unreasonable to ask for an os on hardware that is snappy and does not lag. it’s a reasonable expectation. obviously, lag inevitably happens. of course! that is expected in real world situations because errors and other things happen. but it should not be such a widespread problem where (almost) everyone experiences lag when using the 9800. if everyone is experiencing lag, there really is a problem.

some point out that i should withhold judgment until i actually use it. thats true, my opinions are based on a bunch of videos that is told through someone elses perspective, which too is innately biased. however, something is wrong when everyone (even CB Kevin) experiences lag. it is something that cannot be easily dismissed or swept underneath the rug. again, maybe there is a design fall there when everyone who has used the device experiences the same problem. maybe the specs are too low? maybe the 9800 would not suffer from these problems had rim designed the phone with better specs.

obviously, ppl here disagree. it may be snappy enough for them, and some lag is ok under certain circumstances or etc. there are countless excuses or explanations. but for me, lag should not be an omnipresent issue when people are first testing out a phone and performing basic functionalities, no matter what conditions a phone is subjected to. that to me is a red flag.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 08-04-10 at 02:56 AM.
    08-04-10 02:47 AM
    Thats the biggest thing.. Rather than even just improvements, they have not even made their current junk work right.

Its sad people are trying to defend them so dearly..
    08-04-10 02:55 AM
    Ha, the iphone and droid both lag as well so I guess RIM isn't the only one with the problem. These posts are ridiculous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 03:01 AM
    And my pc with a quad core 3 ghz processor and 4 gigs of ram takes longer to open firefox than the CB video took to open the browser even with the lag in the video.

08-04-10 03:03 AM
    You would think people would hold off judgement until they have tried it themselves...
    08-04-10 03:06 AM
    My friend just demo'ed his brand new Galaxy S to me and guess what? It lags too.

You want a perfect phone? Make one yourself.
    08-04-10 03:13 AM
    wow, you guys really missed the point.

a little lag is ok from time to time (duh no phone is perfect)

but the 9800 is down right sluggish! it lags when you do normal stuff like scroll, search or exit from an app and everyone can clearly see in plain sight how slow it is.

if reviewers found so many problems within 5-10 minutes, i can only imagine how bad of a headache you'll get from daily use.

@pearl9100
    its fair, balanced, and well thought out. i think a lotta nay sayers are sounding off like chickens with their heads cut off, so...ppl are brushing them off. but you def put said it in a cohesive essay in a level headed manner and ppl cant blow you off. cuttos. cant really fault you on your logic. phones do lag (like you said) but its not as bad, universal, or onimpresent (as you put it) as the 9800.
    08-04-10 04:18 AM
    In the first six minutes of kevins video I saw 1 "hourglass" which happened when he opened the browser. It lasted only a second. I don't think that's sluggish. The ui looked pretty snappy to me.

I didn't watch past 6 minutes.

08-04-10 04:23 AM
    it locked up when he exited from the media. the clunkiness is very apparent on other review vids
    08-04-10 04:57 AM
    it locked up when he exited from the media. the clunkiness is very apparent on other review vids
    totally depends what OS it was running tho right? i mean we`ve seen .60 and .100 in some vids, and the one i tried in the london event yesterday was .141, i personally didnt get any lag, or any hourglassing when hitting up the browser, so i guess its down to (as we know) what the phone running and everything.

check out me vid, just dont slate me for the fact i cant really shoot a vid and use a phone well at the same time lol

08-04-10 05:05 AM
    I think kevin was swiping wrong when swiping through the homscreen he should of been swiping the menus bar left to right not the icons
    08-04-10 05:19 AM
    The video that BBThemes posted is pretty sweet. It's not sluggish at all in my opinion.

Anyway, as with most touch screens except the iPhone's, expect varying amounts of "lag". If you want the best touch screen experience, go with Apple!
    08-04-10 05:58 AM
    The video that BBThemes posted is pretty sweet. It's not sluggish at all in my opinion.

Anyway, as with most touch screens except the iPhone's, expect varying amounts of "lag". If you want the best touch screen experience, go with Apple!
    Yep, go with Apple(?) You gotta be kidding.....

Not only does the IP4 drop more calls than the 3Gs, it has a problem with the proximity sensor that causes face dialing/mutting/etc. I hate to break the news, but these are phones first.
    08-04-10 06:14 AM
    Ha, the iphone and droid both lag as well so I guess RIM isn't the only one with the problem. These posts are ridiculous.

The iPhone lags? really? Get real, the iPhone has issues but lag is hardly one of them.
    08-04-10 06:32 AM
    It is not acceptable... I might as well make a quick thread lol.
    08-04-10 06:37 AM

I have an iPhone 4 and my iPhone experiences no lag. Zero.
    08-04-10 06:40 AM
    I think kevin was swiping wrong when swiping through the homscreen he should of been swiping the menus bar left to right not the icons
    I think this is a very valid observation made that no one has commented on or been able to verify.

I mean if you wanted to select an app by clicking its icon, would you want the phone to be so responsive that it swipes to the next folder in an instant unintentionally? However, by swiping using the banner, that's obviously your intent and it will transition quickly to the next folder, that being what it was designed for.

So I'm very curious how the response time differs from swiping at the icons vs. swiping at the banner. Even tho it still moves to the next folder, I think the icon being selected first is where the delay is. As with all the above comments, judgments, only time will tell...until we get our hands on one for ourselves OR if someone who has access to one can conduct this little test.

Anywho, I think it looks great.
    08-04-10 07:05 AM
    I have an iPhone 4 and my iPhone experiences no lag. Zero.
    +1
    I've owned a BB Tour and now currently use an iPhone 4. I don't have any lag and that's with multiple applications running when I summon the multitasking dock.

So people who are saying iPhone 4 has lag are Blackberry apologists, pathological liars or have actually never used an i4.

Lag isn't acceptable on any phone. Stop giving RIM excuses. "Oh, it has just ENOUGH to handle all the apps I run." <--- Complacency.

P.S. My brother's Droid doesn't lag either. It's actually pretty damn fast in comparison considering it came out last year.
    08-04-10 07:24 AM
    +1
    I've owned a BB Tour and now currently use an iPhone 4. I don't have any lag and that's with multiple applications running when I summon the multitasking dock.

So people who are saying iPhone 4 has lag are Blackberry apologists, pathological liars or have actually never used an i4.

Lag isn't acceptable on any phone. Stop giving RIM excuses. "Oh, it has just ENOUGH to handle all the apps I run." <--- Complacency.

P.S. My brother's Droid doesn't lag either. It's actually pretty damn fast in comparison considering it came out last year.
    Well I've used the IP4, captivate, Droid X, and EVO. I've seen some lag at times in all of them. So what! Why would the Torch be any different. If the lag inhibits your ability to operate the phone that would be unacceptable. Understand your quest for prefection will never be achieved.
    08-04-10 07:30 AM

My Incredible never lags.

My 8330 did, my 8700 did, my 9530 did, the 9700, 9550, 8900 & 9630 I've tried did.

It's a bb thing. They do it. It drives me nuts, because it won't lag for hours and then for the three minutes I absolutely need to get some **** done, it hits me right in the face.

The only time my incredible ever lagged was with early versions of k-9, back when the application was still terrible.

It was acceptable in 2007, not in 2010. People who compare blackberry lag to incredible lag are fooling themselves. I tried so god damn hard to get over bb lag because I enjoy the interface, layout, and unified inbox, it was just not possible. It will cut me off when I need it most, for considerably longer times than the Incredible. Maybe in five years something will come out so much faster than the incredible that I notice it lagging, but right now it feels like a rocketship.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 08-04-10 at 07:53 AM.
    08-04-10 07:48 AM
    Well I've used the IP4, captivate, Droid X, and EVO. I've seen some lag at times in all of them. So what! Why would the Torch be any different. If the lag inhibits your ability to operate the phone that would be unacceptable. Understand your quest for perfection will never be achieved.
    I find it hard to believe you've used all four phones extensively. The Internet allows people to make claims just so that RIM can skate by pushing C+ devices to consumers.

You mean to tell me you jumped from AT&T to Verizon to Sprint in a matter of months and saw lag? Or, you went into each store and played with them at a kiosk? Or, you have friends who have them and used them for like 30 seconds? Big difference among all.
    08-04-10 07:51 AM
    I think what people are saying is that all phones lag at one point or another. Yes, its true.
    I have used the droid x: lags even through scrolling just like the torch
    Droid incred: usually almost no lag, specially if u r just scrolling through screens
    Iphone 4: hardly never lags, even with mult apps. I'm pretty sure it lags sometimes, but with my exp no lags.
    If ur having a presentation, and special invitations, for ur flagship model, I think it should be in the top shape possible, even if it means in reality It will lag all the time.
    This is a BIG flag!!!
    At this time of smarphone era, there shouldn't be this constant, annoying lag.

08-04-10 07:52 AM
    I find it hard to believe you've used all four phones extensively. The Internet allows people to make claims just so that RIM can skate by pushing C+ devices to consumers.

You mean to tell me you jumped from AT&T to Verizon to Sprint in a matter of months and saw lag? Or, you went into each store and played with them at a kiosk? Or, you have friends who have them and used them for like 30 seconds? Big difference among all.
    As a reseller, I have access to all 4 carrier's phones. Yes I have used these devices over the past few months. What do I carry? A Bold 9000 because it works for my needs. Its not the flashest of devices but it works.

So what is it you want to see? Lag can be a perception issue to many users. When it affects actually getting things done on the phone that's an issue and that was my point.
    08-04-10 07:57 AM
    I mean the droid can be very laggy at times. I just came from a Milestone (GSM Droid) and it would hang on just having 5 or more applications open. I would have to task kill some applications to keep from some heavy memory programs from lagging up the phone.
    08-04-10 08:00 AM
    +1

^^this.

100% correct
    08-04-10 08:01 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD