So I have had my torch for over a month now, yesterday, the keypad decided to stop working. Nothing. Only the touchscreen is responsive, no buttons at all work.

I have tried the usual: battery pull, reloading OS, removing media card, and NO IT HAS NOT GOTTEN WET!!!!

I called RIM and they said as I unlocked it, the warranty is voided. Wtf, i did'nt even open it? ANyway I am livid about now, I am back to using my 9700 and have put the torch in a drawer as I can't bare to look at it atm.

What can I do? I do have it insured, but i really can't be bothered with the hassle. Anyone know of a quick fix?

Thanks in advance
    10-03-10 03:24 AM
    Call your network carrier and ask them to do an exchange.
    10-03-10 06:49 AM
    I can't do that as I'm in the UK, and my carrier does not even have the device yet, let alone replace something that wasn't theirs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 07:58 AM
    The only thing I think you can do is go via the insurance route

I wouldn't imagine there's much else you can do to fix it bar dismantling it...which there is a video tutorial of somewhere

10-03-10 08:51 AM
    So I have had my torch for over a month now, yesterday, the keypad decided to stop working. Nothing. Only the touchscreen is responsive, no buttons at all work.

I have tried the usual: battery pull, reloading OS, removing media card, and NO IT HAS NOT GOTTEN WET!!!!

I called RIM and they said as I unlocked it, the warranty is voided. Wtf, i did'nt even open it? ANyway I am livid about now, I am back to using my 9700 and have put the torch in a drawer as I can't bare to look at it atm.

What can I do? I do have it insured, but i really can't be bothered with the hassle. Anyone know of a quick fix?

Thanks in advance
    Ok, I'm not understanding your logic here - you want the device fixed/working, but no-one seems to want to help. You can't exchange it through your carrier and RIM is of no help. But you have insurance and don't want to be bothered by going that route? So you'd rather put in the drawer so you don't have to look at it? Doesn't make sense to me. Isn't there a reason you have insurance?
    10-03-10 08:56 AM
    Well how did you get the Torch? I'm in the UK as well and had 3 replacements so far.
    10-03-10 08:56 AM
    Well how did you get the Torch? I'm in the UK as well and had 3 replacements so far.
    Got it from someone over the pond. Was orignally locked to ATT but unlocked it. How u get it replaced??

10-03-10 09:45 AM
    cant you wipe it and reinstall the locked OS via your computer? Then go through insurance?
    10-03-10 12:25 PM
    cant you wipe it and reinstall the locked OS via your computer? Then go through insurance?
    I have contacted my insurance company, and they are sending me a claim form. I have to send the phone to them, and they will send it off for repair. I don't want it repaired I want a fresh one :-(

10-03-10 12:30 PM
    I have contacted my insurance company, and they are sending me a claim form. I have to send the phone to them, and they will send it off for repair. I don't want it repaired I want a fresh one :-(

If I was in your situation I'd want a fresh one too, but realistically speaking its not likely that it'll happen. I had to replace my phone through insurance and they shipped me a replacement overnight.

I'm not completely sure if it's new or refurbished because there are very slight signs of wear (a few scratches on the button pad), but it doesn't really matter because it looks new and works just fine. If you get one that's refurbished I hope you get a good one.
    10-04-10 04:16 AM
    Got it from someone over the pond. Was orignally locked to ATT but unlocked it. How u get it replaced??

If a product has faults/flaws when you purchase it from a shop, under the sales of goods act they have to offer a refund/exchange if it's not fit for purpose and is faulty etc. - I've had cosmetic and technical faults with 3 different handsets. As you've bought it across, you won't have this availability. Even with my Curve I developed faults over the course of a year+ and Orange simply replaced for free.
    10-04-10 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD