Exchanged mine because the screen was "clacking" when I would type on it when it was closed (only clacked on the bottom half or right side if turned sideways)

4 on display - 2 of them acted just like mine the other 2 were solid, no clacking

She pulled 4 more from the back, the first was one solid but it had a pink sticker over the edge where it was taped that said "Quality Inspected" and the date of 8-6-10. That made be scared. The assistant manager said they pull random phones from their order and check to see if they are built correctly and include all accessories. Hmmm I said, they opened the other three and they all clacked.

Well, I chose the one with pink sticker, the slider is rock solid, BUT

The "G" button is printed higher than the other button, it is not as bright at night and it is whiter during the day.
    Also, the track pad was set to 70 percent, when I checked the track pad on my original it was 80 percent. Doesn't add up.

Here are my track pad and screen settings, can someone tell me if this is what theirs looked like straight out of the box? Thanks

Touchscreen
    Tap Interval 400
    Hover Period 300
    Swipe Sensitivity (high) 6

Trackpad
    Horizontal Sensitivity 70
    Vertical Sensitivity 70
    08-15-10 07:55 PM
    Dang I would be embarrassed to ask for that many phones to check. At that point you're working for the company for free! lol
    08-15-10 07:59 PM
    Its posts like this that has RIM shaking in their boots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 08:28 PM
    Its posts like this that has RIM shaking in their boots.

Hey, be nice please. I have never returned a phone and they brought them out I didn't ask to see 4 phones.
    08-15-10 08:32 PM
    i think you just have a mild form of ocd
    08-15-10 08:35 PM
    I had the same settings when I started.
    08-15-10 08:38 PM
    Unbelievable.
    08-15-10 08:41 PM
    Hey, be nice please. I have never returned a phone and they brought them out I didn't ask to see 4 phones.
    I had similar issue so I didn't buy. First one had typing issue: q=a and a=q. Moved on to next one. Next had terrible keyboard feel. Twice locked solid and had to pull battery. Moved on to next one. DOA. Simply would not even turn on and yes it was plugged in.

I left and went to Verizon to play with Droid X and then to Apple to play with iPhone 4. I phone smokes in every way except no keyboard. Droid is interesting (fast and awesome screen).

My BB 9000 is fine, but it's almost 2 years old and I'm am over the crappy browser. Something new soon but not sure what.
    08-15-10 08:44 PM
    Gosh, I really want to get one this week, but its post like these that has ME scared. I didn't have a good first impression of it when I looked at one at the store, but I chalked it up to me not having a lot of experience with touch screen phones, and it was a display unit, which I blame for youtube play bar that got stuck on the screen. The phone would work, but I couldn't get the youtube play bar to go away. I'm just worried that the build quality won't hold up. It's just part of the risk of being an early adopter to something. Hopefully, if I do pick one up, I get a solidly built one. *fingers crossed*
    08-15-10 08:54 PM
    I read somewhere one time that it had to do with where they were manufactured. i havent seen enough of these to know where the good and bad are from but since mine will be here in like 12 hrs I can tell more when i unbox it!
    08-15-10 08:59 PM
    Some people really need something better to do with their time. Obviously you are looking for something to not like and I guarantee you won't find a single phone that doesn't have SOMETHING you can nit pick. A letter being printed higher on a key?! Are you serious? It is really no wonder these cell phone store reps act like they hate humanity if they have to deal with people like this all day.
    Last edited by Nageki; 08-15-10 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo.
    08-15-10 09:08 PM
    I read somewhere one time that it had to do with where they were manufactured. i havent seen enough of these to know where the good and bad are from but since mine will be here in like 12 hrs I can tell more when i unbox it!
    All I have seen say made in Canada.
    08-15-10 09:34 PM
    Some people really need something better to do with their time. Obviously you are looking for something to not like and I guarantee you won't find a single phone that doesn't have SOMETHING you can nit pick. A letter being printed higher on a key?! Are you serious? It is really no wonder these cell phone store reps act like they hate humanity if they have to deal with people like this all day.
    I don't nit pick, I didn't mention light leaking around the keys or keyboard, the green phone key being unevenly lit and other slight defects, they happen.
    I was just posting to let people know what is up with a batch of phones, and to be honest I am starting to think the clacking sliders are normal and the quiet ones are the defects that all slightly bent or off some. Who knows, maybe ones that are stiff now will be loose in a month.

The G key is quite weird, to me atleast. It is about half as bright as the rest and when you look at all the keys in the row it is a lot higher than all the rest.
    08-15-10 09:38 PM
    here is my only gripe, I bought the torch, LOVE IT! However whenever I would talk I would hear like robot sounds sizzling in the speaker, only when using handset, no speaker or bt. Exchanged it, set it all up and when I got my first call, same thing. I am going nuts here!!!! Anyone else having this issue?
    08-15-10 09:39 PM
    Any slider phone is going to have SOME play in the mechanism, that is just the nature of the beast. The Torch is one of the best I have felt (Moto Droid is the most solid but it is also not spring loaded). Go play with a Palm Pre and you will understand what a loose slider really is.

You wrote: "The "G" button is printed higher than the other button, it is not as bright at night and it is whiter during the day.
    Also, the track pad was set to 70 percent, when I checked the track pad on my original it was 80 percent. Doesn't add up."

That is just silly and completely irrelevant to the operation of the phone.
    08-15-10 09:58 PM
    Any slider phone is going to have SOME play in the mechanism, that is just the nature of the beast. The Torch is one of the best I have felt (Moto Droid is the most solid but it is also not spring loaded). Go play with a Palm Pre and you will understand what a loose slider really is.

You wrote: "The "G" button is printed higher than the other button, it is not as bright at night and it is whiter during the day.
    Also, the track pad was set to 70 percent, when I checked the track pad on my original it was 80 percent. Doesn't add up."

That is just silly and completely irrelevant to the operation of the phone.

I never said it affected the use of the phone. The clacking did. I posted in another thread how great the slider is compared to others and that all sliders have wiggle. Even the solid ones I tested against the clacking had left to right wiggle when opened.

I do think that a letter out of alignment and half lit is odd. I RIMM sold parts I would get a keyboard and swap it myself but they don't and the ones cnn sells suck.
    08-15-10 10:06 PM
    Get the one you want. Don't settle. It's your money, you have every right to be as picky as you want. When I buy fruit I don't buy bruised peaches, I let someone else do that. Why should you buy a less than perfect phone?
    08-15-10 10:15 PM
    That stinks for the OP, I haven't had any problems. No wiggle, no lag, no software/hardware problems, no light shining through, no clacking, no miss printed keys... I love this phone. Bummer you had such a bad experience, to those who are skeptical because of these problems, I would insist you try the phone first, every phone has its problems, but luckily my 9800 doesn't.

08-15-10 10:18 PM
    the first was one solid but it had a pink sticker over the edge where it was taped that said "Quality Inspected" ...

... the track pad was set to 70 percent, when I checked the track pad on my original it was 80 percent. Doesn't add up.

Here are my track pad and screen settings, can someone tell me if this is what theirs looked like straight out of the box? Thanks

Touchscreen
    Tap Interval 400
    Hover Period 300
    Swipe Sensitivity (high) 6

Trackpad
    Horizontal Sensitivity 70
    Vertical Sensitivity 70
    I actually had to exchange my first torch. the first one didn't have any stickers on it, and it had the "wiggle" that made using the virtual keyboard and the bottom keys kind of awkward, and that clicking quickly became annoying.

The one I have now, also came in a box with the pink sticker that says "Quality Check". The wiggle is there, but not as severe as my first torch. My first torch also didn't charge correctly. Even though the USB was seated snuggly, it had a tiny bit of play, and it was go in and out of charging because of it.

This second one didn't have any charge problem whatsoever, and the play in the port isn't as bad as the last one.

I was kind of worried as well when I saw the sticker, but the plastic seal under the sticker was broken the same time the pink seal was so we could test the charging port.

If the wiggle gets worse, I might have to return completely. But other then that, I love it so far!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my settings are the same as yours, from the "Quality Check" box. I also believe that my tracpad was set to 80 as well, on my first device. There may actually be something there.
    08-15-10 10:20 PM
    Solid slider, no clacking, no mis-print, charges fine, not loose good fit, no wiggles any direction any way, trac pad set to 80 all other settings the same, no lag, The only problem is the Speaker feedback noise when I speak , not able to be heard by the other person. Software issue I believe. overall great quality so far.

Sorry about your luck, perhaps you should try a different store or lot.
    08-15-10 10:42 PM
    here is my only gripe, I bought the torch, LOVE IT! However whenever I would talk I would hear like robot sounds sizzling in the speaker, only when using handset, no speaker or bt. Exchanged it, set it all up and when I got my first call, same thing. I am going nuts here!!!! Anyone else having this issue?
    This is the first report of tinny call noises.

I suggest you post this in the bug section.

Hurry!

08-15-10 10:52 PM
    Get the one you want. Don't settle. It's your money, you have every right to be as picky as you want. When I buy fruit I don't buy bruised peaches, I let someone else do that. Why should you buy a less than perfect phone?
    Exactly!!! this place since Torch was out makes me feel that i live in Police Country...people have no right to say what they want to say, Cmon guys!!! this site was founded for exactly this reason, for people to share their thoughts, i love BlackBerry devices and have no plans to switch to another brand, but i respect what others saying about their experience with Torch which made me to not get it and wait for 9780 Bold.

Please!!! Instead of posting ugly posts that disrespects other peoples thoughts, why not just ignore it and keep going, Lol
    08-15-10 11:30 PM
    sorry for my French guys, my English is just 10 years old out of 52
    08-15-10 11:31 PM
    All I have seen say made in Canada.
    no problems nor issues with my phone since day 1.
    Made in Mexico. Accesories made in Japan, Turkey and France.
    bought from a retail store in Massachusetts.
    08-15-10 11:36 PM
    Mine was also made in Mexico. Solid build and no problems so far.
    Purchased in central Texas from AT&T corporate store.
    08-15-10 11:44 PM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD