As I sit and watch CNBC incorrectly say that Amazon has slashed prices on the Torch and that it is failing and that someone is going to buy RIMM, I had a brief moment of clarity.

Everyone is whining that the Torch has failed due to only selling 150,000 units in it's first weekend. Ummmm that really isn't that bad at all. If my memory serves me right you could pre-order the iPhone 4 roughly 45 days prior to launch...maybe more now lets see 1.7 million divided by 45 = 37,777.8 hmmmmm now 150,000 divided by 4 = 37,500 - ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO TELL ME BB IS GOING TO DISAPPEAR BECAUSE OF 200 UNITS/day!!! come on - the hype wasn't nearly the same for the BB as the iPhone - there aren't as many children buying it to play games on it and the BB did pretty much the same result....no one thinks to count that ALL of the iphone preoders were counted on the first day.....put that into you sandwich and take a big bite Jobs...

Sorry just love math!
    08-17-10 12:12 PM
    ...that is some serious Math! But, you have a very valid point.
    08-17-10 12:25 PM

Everyone is whining that the Torch has failed due to only selling 150,000 units in it's first weekend. Ummmm that really isn't that bad at all. If my memory serves me right you could pre-order the iPhone 4 roughly 45 days prior to launch...maybe more now lets see 1.7 million divided by 45 = 37,777.8 hmmmmm now 150,000 divided by 4 = 37,500 - ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO TELL ME BB IS GOING TO DISAPPEAR BECAUSE OF 200 UNITS/day!!! come on - the hype wasn't nearly the same for the BB as the iPhone - there aren't as many children buying it to play games on it and the BB did pretty much the same result....no one thinks to count that ALL of the iphone preoders were counted on the first day.....put that into you sandwich and take a big bite Jobs...

Sorry just love math!
    someone's paying attention during math class
    08-17-10 12:27 PM
    I'm just annoyed that everyone keeps flaming this device. I haven't had a single issue with it!!!
    08-17-10 12:28 PM
    AkCrimson - I am annoyed as well - I was an iPhone user, but I need a tool not a toy - the reason I got on CB was to learn whether or not the Torch would be a good fit for me - It seemed like it would be and IS! I love it, sold the iPhone 3g, 3GS, and 4 so going BB made me money woohoo!... I love the BB and with all the trolling going on here I figured that not even morons can argue with simple math haha....

I am new to the BBM thing too - love to meet other BB users. My PIN is 22C71B7D so pin(?) me!
    08-17-10 12:33 PM
    Please get your facts straight. The iPhone 4 was announced June 7, preorders began June 15 and went on sale June 24. How is that 45 days(or more) Mr. Math?
    08-17-10 12:34 PM
    150,000 isn't bad in general. But when you order 1 million. 150K is bad.
    08-17-10 12:38 PM
    You couldn't order the iPhone 45 days in advance. WWDC was In early June where Apple announce it and no one was allow to preorder the iPhone until a week after that. iPhone was released around 2 weeks after preorders. So that messes up your whole 45 day reach. 1.7 million was also for the entire launch weekend and not just preorders.

WWDC was June 7th
    Preorders started June 15th which is 9 days before launch.

If we use your math:

1,700,000/9 = 188,888 which crushes 37,500.

Nice try though.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-17-10 at 12:49 PM.
    08-17-10 12:39 PM
    Ummm, Apple reported 600,000 units sold via preorder, the rest were sold in stores.

Try again.
    08-17-10 12:40 PM
    Yeah it was like a week or two or reorders for the iPhone, but I too am baffled by the negativity around this device, it's quite nice, and this is coming from an iPhone user who's never touched a blackberry before this one.
    08-17-10 12:40 PM
    madlaw - forgive me - if my facts were incorrect - I am terribly sorry that I didn't correctly make my point - while my numbers may be off ( I asked one of my employees when the iPhone was avail for preorder - they said May - my bad) significantly - my point is that if pre orders had been available then the numbers for the Torch would be significantly higher and more on par with the other devices.

To be honest I COULD CARE FREAKING LESS what the numbers are I just don't see the point in running around the playground screaming my toy is better than yours...maybe your toy is better than mine....but I love mine more - proof - I care so little about yours that I don't even feel the need to bash it or you.... Both devices are good, very good - BB is just better for me and probably most on this forum.
    08-17-10 12:43 PM
    madlaw - forgive me - if my facts were incorrect - I am terribly sorry that I didn't correctly make my point - while my numbers may be off ( I asked one of my employees when the iPhone was avail for preorder - they said May - my bad) significantly - my point is that if pre orders had been available then the numbers for the Torch would be significantly higher and more on par with the other devices.

To be honest I COULD CARE FREAKING LESS what the numbers are I just don't see the point in running around the playground screaming my toy is better than yours...maybe your toy is better than mine....but I love mine more - proof - I care so little about yours that I don't even feel the need to bash it or you.... Both devices are good, very good - BB is just better for me and probably most on this forum.
    You really think if RIM had 2 months to accumulate preorders they would come close to 600,000? Bottom line: lackluster phone=lackluster sales.
    08-17-10 12:52 PM
    Hehehe. Anal-ists go for the linkbait is all. Rim are still #2 in world smartphone sales, the only reason they'll get bought is because someone want in on the action.

If I was an uneducated dik I'd be an anal-ist too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 12:54 PM
    I care so little about yours that I don't even feel the need to bash it or you....
    That's right.
    08-17-10 12:55 PM
    You really think if RIM had 2 months to accumulate preorders they would come close to 600,000? Bottom line: lackluster phone=lackluster sales.
    PLEASE stop feeding this troll. Its just what he wants. Every negative thread has a post by him.
    08-17-10 12:59 PM
    As I sit and watch CNBC incorrectly say that Amazon has slashed prices on the Torch and that it is failing and that someone is going to buy RIMM, I had a brief moment of clarity.

Sorry just love math!
    I have an analyst position open....would you like to come work for me?!?!?
    Bottom line, 1 phone a year equals good 1st weekend sales. Total yearly sales RIM wins. Fact.

I have an analyst position open....would you like to come work for me?!?!?
    His math was wrong dude/dudette. He admitted it.
    08-17-10 01:01 PM
    Bottom line, 1 phone a year equals good 1st weekend sales. Total yearly sales RIM wins. Fact.

RIM wins what? They have declining market share with little hope of getting it back. Win or fail?
    08-17-10 01:02 PM
    PLEASE stop feeding this troll. Its just what he wants. Every negative thread has a post by him.
    Remember that little red triangle at the top right corner?!?!? It's very, very useful!!!!! I love that little thing, it's my new best friend.
    Mods *do* respond!!!!
    08-17-10 01:03 PM
    His math was wrong dude/dudette. He admitted it.
    No the time frame was off, not his math.

RIM wins what? They have declining market share with little hope of getting it back. Win or fail?
    We will see, that is speculation on your part. They still have a bigger share than your Apple.
    08-17-10 01:05 PM
    You couldn't order the iPhone 45 days in advance. WWDC was In early June where Apple announce it and no one was allow to preorder the iPhone until a week after that. iPhone was released around 2 weeks after preorders. So that messes up your whole 45 day reach. 1.7 million was also for the entire launch weekend and not just preorders.

WWDC was June 7th
    Preorders started June 15th which is 9 days before launch.

If we use your math:

1,700,000/9 = 188,888 which crushes 37,500.

Nice try though.
    Don't forget, the system shut down around 600,000 preorders the first day preorders were taken, and they wouldn't take anymore after that unless you were willing to wait until July 14th.

There's a big difference between having plenty in stock and selling a certain quantity, and selling a certain quantity and being sold out leaving people wanting more.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-17-10 at 01:15 PM.
    08-17-10 01:08 PM
    By that reasoning, Apple must be close to failure also then afterall, they've lost share to Android and are still behind RIM. Of course, I'm more sensible than to believe that because I know all 3 platforms will co-exist together quite well. Although keep and eye on the numbers and you'll see that android ends up hurting apple far worse than it hurts RIM.
    Apple and Android are fighting for exactly the same market, RIM has it's own defined market.

08-17-10 01:10 PM
    To be honest I COULD CARE FREAKING LESS what the numbers are
    You're the one that started the thread with inaccurate numbers.
    08-17-10 01:12 PM
    No the time frame was off, not his math.

We will see, that is speculation on your part. They still have a bigger share than your Apple.
    Speculation? Do some reading. Many articles just in the past 2 weeks about RIM's declining US market share and hemorraging users to Android and Apple. Seen the stock lately?

My apple? I'm for former BB user and lover(7130c), have a 3Gs and was hoping the Torch would bring me back to RIM.
    08-17-10 01:12 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD