You can feel that all the screen transitions and effects strain the device a bit. It lags a bit between screens and the browser is a little jerky compared to what Android and the like has to offer, but its a huge step forward. Also, pinch-to-zoom didn't seem to be implemented OS wide. Just the browser.

The load times on idential sites against an iPhone 4 were longer, assuming data is still routing through RIM servers.

The YouTube app is great. Just as good as what the competition has to offer. Video looked clear, although I didn't see a HQ button. All in all great job here, I use YouTube a lot!

I like the Notification bar under the time and date on the home screen, very Android-esque. Which is a good thing

The boot up time was under a minute easy, faster than any berry I've ever seen. Great job RIM!

The screen really was....well.....underwhelming for the pricepoint the phone is going to be at. At 199.99, the iPhone and Galaxy phones blow this thing out for the same price. At least up the resolution. The reps excuse for that was battery life, give me a break!

The build quality was great, more of what you've already heard. Different battery!!!!! FS-1 is the code on the battery, resembles the 8900 battery. Didn't get a look at the rating for mah.

Overall a great phone for the blackberry loyalist, but it really didn't push me back in my seat so-to-speak the way other devices have. Would I carry one, sure! Would I pay $200 for it with an iPhone 4 and a Captivate right next to it, probably not.

p.s. I did nto set my email up on it, didn't have the time to do a wipe afterwards to remove it so I can't comment on HTML email performance.
    08-05-10 05:57 PM
    Nice quick review. We all know the screen doesn't compare to the IP4 or Captivate. THe captivate battery and GPS are awful. My IP4 (that I returned) dropped calls, but its worst problem was the proximity sensor causing all kind of problems on calls.
    08-05-10 06:09 PM
    You can feel that all the screen transitions and effects strain the device a bit. It lags a bit between screens and the browser is a little jerky compared to what Android and the like has to offer, but its a huge step forward. Also, pinch-to-zoom didn't seem to be implemented OS wide. Just the browser.

The load times on idential sites against an iPhone 4 were longer, assuming data is still routing through RIM servers.

The YouTube app is great. Just as good as what the competition has to offer. Video looked clear, although I didn't see a HQ button. All in all great job here, I use YouTube a lot!

I like the Notification bar under the time and date on the home screen, very Android-esque. Which is a good thing

The boot up time was under a minute easy, faster than any berry I've ever seen. Great job RIM!

The screen really was....well.....underwhelming for the pricepoint the phone is going to be at. At 199.99, the iPhone and Galaxy phones blow this thing out for the same price. At least up the resolution. The reps excuse for that was battery life, give me a break!

The build quality was great, more of what you've already heard. Different battery!!!!! FS-1 is the code on the battery, resembles the 8900 battery. Didn't get a look at the rating for mah.

Overall a great phone for the blackberry loyalist, but it really didn't push me back in my seat so-to-speak the way other devices have. Would I carry one, sure! Would I pay $200 for it with an iPhone 4 and a Captivate right next to it, probably not.

p.s. I did nto set my email up on it, didn't have the time to do a wipe afterwards to remove it so I can't comment on HTML email performance.
    Other than the browser what would you want to zoom in on by pinch to zoom? Photos? Spreadsheets?
    08-05-10 06:16 PM
    Yea, photos, documents, maps. That kind of stuff.

The battery life on the Captivates I've seen have been great thus far, easily going the whole day.
    08-05-10 06:20 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Regardless, I will be getting this
    device. I plan on putting my 9700 up for sale as well. Just
    got a new one from AT&T (replacement) so I can sell it.
    08-05-10 06:25 PM
    When moving through screens how did you accomplish this. Because I have gotten a chance to play with one today also when some RIM execs came into our BB store and I got a different experience. If you swap where the apps are it does seem to lag but if you use the banner it is instant.

The reason I ask is that I have seen all of the review videos and everyone including kevin swiped where all of the icons are located and not the banner. The banner is the right place to do this. Should really be an issue No but it does make a huge difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 06:32 PM
    Yea, photos, documents, maps. That kind of stuff.

The battery life on the Captivates I've seen have been great thus far, easily going the whole day.
    Well that's not my experience w/captivate. Used one for 3 days and never got thru the day. Check androidfourms.com and the battery and GPS issues top the list.
    08-05-10 06:36 PM
    I swiped in the apps, shouldn't have to "reach" up the banner bar. I see what you're saying though.
    08-05-10 06:39 PM
    Well that's not my experience w/captivate. Used one for 3 days and never got thru the day. Check androidfourms.com and the battery and GPS issues top the list.
    i don't think this is really what this topic is about
    08-05-10 06:41 PM
    OP, was the browser going thru 3G or wifi?
    08-05-10 06:41 PM
    3G.

One other thing, the camera was disapointing. The clarity just wasn't there, even after taking several shots.
    08-05-10 06:45 PM
    Which cities are y'all getting the reps in the ATT stores to pony up with their Torches? The store in Baltimore I went to said they're "not allowed" to show anything more than the dummy unit until right before release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.comb
    Last edited by howserow; 08-05-10 at 07:58 PM.
    08-05-10 07:14 PM
    3G.

One other thing, the camera was disapointing. The clarity just wasn't there, even after taking several shots.
    Simple question, did you view the picture on the phone, or on a computer?

If it was the phone, here's the problem, its a 480x360 screen, displaying a 5mp picture which is either:

2584 x 1936 (5.00) - aspect 4:3 (1.33 - normal)
    2696 x 1856 (5.00) - aspect 16:11 (1.45 - widescreen)
    2832 x 1768 (5.01) - aspect 16:10 (1.60 - widescreen)
    2984 x 1680 (5.01) - aspect 16:9 (1.78 - widescreen)

Depending on what aspect the camera is shooting in (I don't think I've seen anywhere make that clear, or give an exact image size) .

The problem is, the higher the picture resolution, the more downsampling has to take place to display it on your screen. This means that you could be looking at a 12MP shot from my Nikon DSLR, which in real life would easily look fantastic in a 13x19 print, and because of downsampling it would look even worse! In real life that 5MP could easily be printed out as an 11x14 and look great.
    08-05-10 07:36 PM
    I have gotten a chance to play with one today also when some RIM execs came into our BB store
    Where in ATL was this? Ive heard reports that ATT corporate stores in NYC and Texas area had the phone out for people to play with already. Id love to play with one for a few moments before I tell my corporate person to go ahead and get ready to order that joker on the 12th.

Dixit
    08-05-10 07:38 PM
    You can zoom into the actual 1:1 size on the phone to examine the quality.

Thanks for the review. I think you probably summed it up perfectly. I thought pinch to zoom was shown off on demos for pictures and wallpapers so that does surprise me.
    You can zoom into the actual 1:1 size on the phone to examine the quality.

Can yes, but did he?
    08-05-10 07:45 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Regardless, I will be getting this
    device. I plan on putting my 9700 up for sale as well. Just
    got a new one from AT&T (replacement) so I can sell it.
    For some odd reason I always keep all my old phones. Usually I just give them to my daughter to destroy. She loves blackberries. Always trust the 3 year old. They only know the truth.
    08-05-10 07:48 PM
    Can yes, but did he?
    Who knows, but your post was so long-winded with explanations I felt like offering a one-sentence reply :P

08-05-10 07:50 PM
    Where in ATL was this? Ive heard reports that ATT corporate stores in NYC and Texas area had the phone out for people to play with already. Id love to play with one for a few moments before I tell my corporate person to go ahead and get ready to order that joker on the 12th.

Dixit
    I am in new jersey. I just got done playing with a live unit that was in a at@t store. I liked it a lot. I didn't really notice any lag it was smooth to me. the browser was great . I want this phone lol
    08-05-10 07:50 PM
    Who knows, but your post was so long-winded with explanations I felt like offering a one-sentence reply :P

I figured a few extra words may have offered more insight than "Big picture doesn't fit on little screen good", but you may be onto something
    08-05-10 08:26 PM
    I thought I saw a video where someone used pinch zoom on google or blackberry maps???.....maybe that was a different device....I've been looking at a lot of video reviews lately....
    08-05-10 08:45 PM
    Edit to fix dang double post....
    08-05-10 08:47 PM
    Deer Park Illinois at&t store has a live unit to play with. Just played with it for a couple of minutes, didn't really have time to do a heavy run-through. I really like it; if I wasn't still in the middle of my contract I'd be there on launch day.

08-05-10 09:00 PM
    If this is, indeed, true - I'm sold.
    08-05-10 10:02 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD