Just bought my new Torch, and the vertict is......I friggen love it!!
    I can't say enough good things about it. I think also because I sported the Bold 9700 since its release (and loved that too) the physical keyboard on the Torch is a dream to use even with my clunky fingers!

The only little gripe I have is that my trackpad isn't as responsive as on the Bold. I hope its not a hardware thing. On my 2nd day and it seems to be a little better now. Anyone else notice it not being as smooth to navigate?

Cheers guys! Loving my Torch nonetheless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 08:19 AM
    Glad you're loving your Torch like most of us are!

If your trackpad continues to seem less responsive than you'd like, maybe go to your store and see if the display unit is any better. If so, just swap for a new one while you're there.

Make sure you do a backup right before you go though! And don't forget to take your MicroSD card out if you do swap (unless you have the stock 4GB one in there and haven't touch it).
    10-02-10 08:22 AM
    I tested one out yesterday and one thing that really popped was how responsive the trackpad was. Have you checked the tpad settings?

10-02-10 09:00 AM
    my trackpad is really bad too! and my camera wasn't working.
    hoping both issues resolve with a new handset.

One thing i realised is u should use the trackpad with your thumb flat,, and not the tip of your thumb.. which is what u need for the trackball instead.
    10-02-10 09:02 AM
    my trackpad is really bad too! and my camera wasn't working.
    hoping both issues resolve with a new handset.

One thing i realised is u should use the trackpad with your thumb flat,, and not the tip of your thumb.. which is what u need for the trackball instead.
    Have you changed your trackpad settings? What about your camera is not working? Are you aware that the right-side convenience key is a two-step button?
    10-02-10 09:55 AM
    Have you changed your trackpad settings? What about your camera is not working? Are you aware that the right-side convenience key is a two-step button?
    jcp007, can you explain what you mean by "two-step button?" I'm not sure I understand how you are applying the term.
    10-02-10 12:26 PM
    I found the trackpad at the default 80/80 setting way to sensitive. I ended up dialing it down to 70/70.

The 2 step convenience key is sorta like the shutter button on a digital camera - press and hold halfway to focus lock and then push through to take the picture.
    10-02-10 12:33 PM
    It seems to have gotten a little better, however, I find I still have to swipe down a few times to get the pointer to move before it responds. And yes, I played with the sensitivity settings. I absolutley LOVE everything else about it though. I'm gonna pop back in the store and check it out. The track pad on this is no where near as fluiid as it was on my 9700. And I think it should be no?

10-03-10 11:52 AM
    My trackpad seems to be working fine, I think it has something to do with the moisture on my fingers. When I use the trackpad with gloves, or with a piece of fabric in between my finger and the trackpad it works wonderfully, but with my bare fingers it maybe "sticking"...not as smooth. It definitely doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.
    10-03-10 03:14 PM
    I am loving this phone. My trackpad seems just fine for me altough I came from a 8130 which had a trackball instead. But none the less I have had no problems with it at all!

10-03-10 04:16 PM
    How is the keyboard of the torch compared to the 9700? I was thinking of getting the Torch but I don't know if I would like the physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard seems great, but I worry about the lag that I have been reading about. I had that with the EVO that I used to own. I don't need it on my BlackBerry as well. Also, what is the battery life like compared to the Bold? If the battery life is comparable, I may have to reconsider.

10-03-10 08:07 PM
    How is the keyboard of the torch compared to the 9700? I was thinking of getting the Torch but I don't know if I would like the physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard seems great, but I worry about the lag that I have been reading about. I had that with the EVO that I used to own. I don't need it on my BlackBerry as well. Also, what is the battery life like compared to the Bold? If the battery life is comparable, I may have to reconsider.
    There is no lag on the Torch if you upgrade to one of the .2xx builds.

The keyboard takes a week or two to get used to but, though I miss my 9000 keyboard, the Torch's is plenty good. Though I don't use the onscreen keyboards often, they are quite good too - again, much improves with the .2xx builds.

Battery life is a little worse since there is now a more-power-hungry touchscreen to feed but I was never one to drain it down to empty every day so it hasn't been an issue at all - I'm sure it will continue to improve as RIM optimizes OS6 further.
    10-03-10 08:16 PM
    Are the .2xx builds official OSs or are they leaks? I did test out the Torch in the store and I didn't experience any lag, but I do know that when you get a device home, sometimes it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. The one thing that I wouldn't be able to tolerate is a keyboard on a BlackBerry smartphone that lags a lot.

10-03-10 08:27 PM
    .246 is official with the Canadian carriers.

.141 is still the latest for AT&T.

Absolutely no good reason to stay on .141 in my opinion.
    10-03-10 08:49 PM
    How long will .141 be the latest official for AT&T. Hedge your bets!

10-03-10 08:57 PM
    I find no lag with anything. In fact - I wish I could turn down the sensitivity on the virtual keyboard! I already did that with the track pad...
    10-03-10 11:24 PM

I'm betting 'til next year.

As far as the trackpad issues, mine were fixed after an upgrade to a .2xx build, so give that a shot if you haven't already.

10-03-10 11:35 PM
    The odds for 1 month are probably about the same as 1 year lol
    10-04-10 06:11 AM
    Thanks to all the replies, I did an OS upgradde and no more lagging navigation with the track pad. I love this thing man!! As much as I loved my Bold 9700....just lovin it!

Cheers guys

10-06-10 12:09 PM
    The odds for 1 month are probably about the same as 1 year lol
    Funny after I made this post AT&T released .246 the next day. Always a surprise when AT&T does something good in a timely manner!
    10-06-10 12:21 PM
    Scratch the solution for the OS update, my trackpad is no good...I'm not letting that stop me as I'm heading back to the store and exchange it. After doing allot of reading from others, my track pad works as good as my Bold 9700 does then I cover my finger with a cloth....sounds stupid but true. I've tried a ton of things now...and weird that it staggers and lags when it's direct contact with my thumb. Cover it with a cloth or shirt and it's great. Really weird. Anyway back it goes....so I can feel the love.
    10-10-10 02:26 PM
    Ok I gotta say.....wow! No I'm even more impressed with the Torch now that I did a return and got a new one with a proper functioning track pad!!!! Its just as fluid if not better than my Bold 9700!! Completely happy now!! Unreal cheers guys again for the feedback

10-11-10 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD