Ok, so I know jpg.rem is a encrypted version of a picture file. I recently added a 2 GB Sandisk memory card to my Torch (9800) and I did a customary back up as I was deleting the old files on the memory card.

After the back up was complete, I realized that some of my pictures were saved in a jpg.rem version. I later discovered that I can't rename the file extension. If I try to drop the .rem, I get "Error decrypting header."

I have done extensive online searches and I have tried the following: emailing the file to myself, it comes back as jpg.rem. I have tried turning encryption on/off to rename the file, failed.

Are there any suggestions?
    11-24-11 02:25 PM
    11-24-11 03:04 PM
    I tried that as well. When I attempt to move files from one location to the next, I get "Error decrypting header."

I believe I have done everything correctly but could you tell me how to turn off encryption on the Torch.
    11-24-11 03:16 PM
    It's under Options-Security-Encryption. Uncheck the boxes
    11-24-11 04:38 PM
    I did that several times. All boxes are unchecked. It still has not worked. I tried uploading the images to facebook but it would not accept the file.

I also tried emailing the image to myself. I don't have a email configured o my phone so I used webmail, the file remains jpg.rem.
    11-24-11 10:28 PM
    You said you added the card to the 9800. Did it come from another phone? If so, what was it?
    11-25-11 08:53 AM
    His phone is the same as mine... a 9800
    11-25-11 09:43 PM
    Have you tried this in his phone? One encryption setting is device specific. If that was his setting, you can *only* decrypt it in his phone.

About file encryption - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0
    11-26-11 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD