First off I love my Torch and I want to keep it for sure. BUT, this issue Im having with tiny fonts on certain webpages is kind of a deal breaker for me. On my previous BB Bold 9700 I never had this issue at all with any webpage. I just used column view and all pages loaded more than readable.

With my new Torch there is no column view setting that I can find and a certain very few web pages load with the tiniest font Ive ever seen on a BB with no apparent way to fix it other than to zoom, which is not an acceptable option for me. I do not want to have to scroll horizontally to read a webpage.

Even if I set the font to 14 (the highest) the font doesent get bigger at all on the web pages in question. It does on all my other bookmarked pages, the font gets huge. But on the websites in question the font stays exactly the same, tiny.

So Im wondering if theres a setting or something Im not finding that would address this issue. Two of the websites in question are: Yahoo!, and Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.com�. Both websites that I viewed with zero problems without ever zooming on my BB Bold 9700.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is pretty much a make or break deal for me and my Torch. Thank you!
    08-16-10 04:18 PM
    Try the Yahoo! mobile site to view the mobile version of yahoo. Also, you can double tap on an area of text in the browser to make the text wrap to the screen so it can be seen easily. So for example you can double tap the screen with your finger on the news feed on yahoo's full site and you can read it fine without scrolling left or right.

edit: the yahoo mobile site is m.yahoo.com in case you don't use the link above
    Last edited by rgharris; 08-16-10 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarify link
    08-16-10 04:39 PM
    If you double-tap the screen you will get a column view with very readable type.
    08-16-10 04:42 PM
    Double tap zooms is all I can get it to do. It zooms in on the page and makes it so I have too scroll left to right to see it all. Yes, it makes the text more than readable, but I want it to work like my Bold did, never having to zoom any page for any reason. As far as the Yahoo Mobile site suggestion, that does work. Alot of the other sites I'm having issues with are mobile sites though. Such as that POF site.

I do appreciate any and all suggestions though, whether they work or not :-)
    08-16-10 04:52 PM
    First off I love my Torch and I want to keep it for sure. BUT, this issue Im having with tiny fonts on certain webpages is kind of a deal breaker for me. On my previous BB Bold 9700 I never had this issue at all with any webpage. I just used column view and all pages loaded more than readable.

With my new Torch there is no column view setting that I can find and a certain very few web pages load with the tiniest font Ive ever seen on a BB with no apparent way to fix it other than to zoom, which is not an acceptable option for me. I do not want to have to scroll horizontally to read a webpage.

Even if I set the font to 14 (the highest) the font doesent get bigger at all on the web pages in question. It does on all my other bookmarked pages, the font gets huge. But on the websites in question the font stays exactly the same, tiny.

So Im wondering if theres a setting or something Im not finding that would address this issue. Two of the websites in question are: Yahoo!, and Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.com�. Both websites that I viewed with zero problems without ever zooming on my BB Bold 9700.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is pretty much a make or break deal for me and my Torch. Thank you!
    yah, it looks fuzzy and unclear. its a little annoying though to have to zoom in on small font just to be able to read the webpage
    08-16-10 04:59 PM
    Yeah I will not do zoom at all, no horizontal scrolling for me. Im having the problem with only a very few webpages though. Most pages load up and look great.
    08-16-10 05:01 PM
    I have the Bold-9650 but was curious about the Torch and I was in a Mall yesterday with an AT&T shop.

No one was around so I got to play with the Torch. One of the first things I did was the Browser and was met with the tiny fonts (as I had been on my Bold but column view solved that problem on the Bold). I, too, went immediately to options but did not find Column View and the font option did not help.

So, is there a Column View option or a way to get to a larger font and not have to scroll? Has Column View been found in some subfunction somewhere or will one be relegated to using a magnifying glass?
    08-27-10 04:07 PM
    I haven't found the option for column view either. If you open the browser, then options, there is a selection for the minimum font size. Maybe this will help.
    08-27-10 04:19 PM
    I have never had this problem. Double tap does not make it so you have to scroll horizontally, it reflows the text so that you don't have to scroll.

Now when I clicked the Yahoo link above it took me to the mobile site and the font was pretty big. Double tap doesn't work on mobile sites, but you can click through to the desktop site and double tap will reflow your text. I don't think it will make it any bigger than the mobile though.

I don't click on free dating sites for any reason, so I can't help you there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 05:12 PM
    Guffy,
    When you navigate to a persons profile on POF, double tap the screen and it will wrap the text to where you do not have to horizontal scroll to read their profile info. Double tap again if it isn't readable. The pictures and the rest of the page also should be wrapped and easily navigated by vertical scrolling only. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mamaluka; 08-27-10 at 05:33 PM.
    08-27-10 05:26 PM
    I haven't found the option for column view either. If you open the browser, then options, there is a selection for the minimum font size. Maybe this will help.
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just got my 9800 (trying it out for 30 days) and can't figure this browser thing out.

On my Storm 2 pages such as CNN, ESPN, FoxNews, etc. (all mobile sites) display with nice larger font sizes (8-10). On the 9800 these same sites display in painfully small (for me) fonts. I've tried setting the font size in browser options to 10, 12, 14, all with no effect. I've tried double-tapping, no effect. Now on CERTAIN sites (m.crackberry.com), double-tapping DOES work. But not on most sites I visit.

So am I to conclude from all this that there are certain sites (again, ESPN, FoxNews, CNN for example) that will ALWAYS be displayed in small fonts, REGARDLESS of what settings are chosen in Browser->Options (or anywhere else)?

I'd just like to stop hitting my head up against a wall if it's going to do no good. I'd also like to factor into the decision whether to keep the 9800 or not the knowledge that, if I do, I will most likely never be able to read the above-mentioned (and, I'm sure, other) mobile sites unless I have a magnifying glass with me.

Thanks for any additional info or pointers.
    03-31-11 03:50 PM
    nlk10010, what OS are you running ?
    03-31-11 05:05 PM
    Also are you referencing the cnn mobile site, or desktop site?
    03-31-11 05:08 PM
    As best I can determine, OS 6.0.0.246. It's the OS that came loaded on the device, I don't want to fiddle with it unless and until I decide to keep the phone.

The mobile sites, a.mw.cnn.com (CNN), m.espn.go.com/wireless (ESPN), "www.foxnews.mobi" (FoxNews).

As I say, I can see SOME sites react to the double-tap (I guess these are the full sites; e.g. forums.crackberry.com). Look, if changing fonts simply won't work with mobile sites then I'll have to deal with it, although my Storm 2 Browser displays those mobile sites in nice large type. I realize they are different devices and different OSs, just thought I'd make double-triple sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks both for your posts.
    03-31-11 05:15 PM
    Mobile sites should work as well. Double tap simply does a zoom in + font wrapping + font resizing.

However if the webpage doesn't seem to need zooming in, a double tap doesn't zoom in. I can't really try anything though because i'm not running .246, and the cnn mobile site font seems fine to me...
    03-31-11 05:18 PM
    As best I can determine, OS 6.0.0.246. It's the OS that came loaded on the device, I don't want to fiddle with it unless and until I decide to keep the phone.

The mobile sites, a.mw.cnn.com (CNN), m.espn.go.com/wireless (ESPN), "www.foxnews.mobi" (FoxNews).

As I say, I can see SOME sites react to the double-tap (I guess these are the full sites; e.g. forums.crackberry.com). Look, if changing fonts simply won't work with mobile sites then I'll have to deal with it, although my Storm 2 Browser displays those mobile sites in nice large type. I realize they are different devices and different OSs, just thought I'd make double-triple sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks both for your posts.
    if you are running 6.0.0.246, chances are that's the issue... i am running my carrier's offical release of 6.0.0.448, and have no browser issues. zooming works great, double tap make the text wrapping much easier to read etc...

head here : BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites and see if your carrier has a more recent version than .246, if not, check out the leaked OS section of crackberry...
    03-31-11 05:23 PM
    Mobile sites should work as well. Double tap simply does a zoom in + font wrapping + font resizing.

However if the webpage doesn't seem to need zooming in, a double tap doesn't zoom in. I can't really try anything though because i'm not running .246, and the cnn mobile site font seems fine to me...
    Well, reasonable eyes may differ....

What font size would you say ESPN mobile is showing? To my eyes the body text on all those mobile sites couldn't be more than 6 pt.

I can see needing to carry my reading glasses and/or a magnifying glass in a pouch next to the 9800!
    03-31-11 05:24 PM
    TBrenn: If I had to guess, the OS loaded on my device (it just arrived yesterday) is the latest official one from AT&T but I WILL check.

Thanks.
    03-31-11 05:26 PM
    The espn mobile site does not respond to double tap because it's already mobile optimized and already font wraps, etc. So basically nothing runs over the screen so it doesn't detect that zooming is necessary.
    03-31-11 05:33 PM
    TBrenn: If I had to guess, the OS loaded on my device (it just arrived yesterday) is the latest official one from AT&T but I WILL check.

Thanks.
    I know this sucks but try Opera mobile. I use it and love it! Font size is perfect. I have a bb bold 9700 with os6 and miss column view.
    03-31-11 07:53 PM

Thanks.
    Check the link I posted to see if your carrier has a more recent version, most carriers have launched 6.0.0.448. There are some browser fixed in the upgrade... Should solve your issue

03-31-11 08:04 PM
    ok guys here is my 2� worth...

I went to CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News but I got moved automatically to their website optimized for mobile devices, m.cnn.com once once their mobile site, I found I could not change the text size, though I thought it was a reasonably legible font size. At the very bottom of the page in quite a tiny font was a link to the "full site". I clicked on that link and it took me to the main cnn website. I went to the same article I had looked at on the mobile cnn site and the double-tap feature worked just fine. The text wrapped to my screen size and even toggled between portrait & landscape modes as I rotate the Torch.

Hope this info is of some help to you. I think a lot of the mobile websites come up automatically even if you specify the web address for the main website. Plus, I think a lot of the mobile versions of websites have eliminated the users option to resize the font.
    04-01-11 02:11 PM
    Yea, I just tried it and, apart from the fact it takes a while for the full site to load, the double-tap thingie works. Sometimes the resulting font is no better than on the mobile site but sometimes it's actually larger, so I'll keep this as an alternate way of gathering news and information. Because there's no way (at least with my device/OS) the text size on those mobile sites is changing.

Thanks for the tip.
    04-01-11 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD