Am I one of the only few that remember what the blackberry was originally for in the first place???

Business/professionalism over media/fun???
    Maybe I'm the confused one.

Sorry folks, I am still Blackberry Die Hard, and will wait patiently while Blackberry upholds it's purpose with future innovations!!!!!!

Also, I am sooooo glad they left the option in there to type on a physical keyboard!!! Gooooo BB!!!! Great Job on the 9800 (even though I will have the 9700 until my funds support an upgrade)
    08-06-10 07:04 AM
    Finally, a voice of reason appears in a sea of all the trash-talking about the Torch which has been hyped with completely unrealistic expectations. RIM has the dominant share of the business professional market. Give them some time to catch up in the consumer arena. They will take some time to adapt their paradigm to embrace the entertainment side of smartphones such as the i4 which is a iPod Touch on steroids with a phone attached.
    08-06-10 07:31 AM

Sorry folks, I am still Blackberry Die Hard, and will wait patiently while Blackberry upholds it's purpose with future innovations!!!!!!
    Right on. Entertainment can be had in so many ways these days but fine business function is not so easy. Go BB!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 07:52 AM
    Kool guys! i have to say however, the 9800 wasn't purely made with the corporate person as its sole user. In fact, i think it is a consumer phone. I am sticking with the 9700 but i have no doubts crackberry addicts will love the phone.
    08-06-10 08:00 AM
    Undoubtedly, there are those who buy a Blackberry just to have one, as with the other phones on the market. "Being seen with it." Search "Do I need a data plan for this xxxx phone?" on this site and you will be surprised.

Give me a phone which receives E-Mail (client or private,) makes phone calls and allows me to text "Pick up cat food on the way home" to my lovely wife and I'm good. I don't want or need a device that makes me any more anti-social than I already am.

The music/media player allows me to review tunes I will be learning with my band, but as far as movies or video, I can't spend that much time being a slave to my phone. I'm way to busy daily to have this thing stuck to my face.
    EXACTLY my sentiments, and is why I think a BB is the absolute best phone I could ever need. Seriously, is it really necessary to try and watch a blockbuster movie on a relatively tiny 4" screen while killing your battery so you can't actually use the phone as a PHONE? I think not.
    08-06-10 08:41 AM
    I for one have been looking forward to this phone and am eagerly awaiting its release in the UK. As long as it does what it says on the box it will be a huge step up from my current 9000. I was burnt when the storm 1 came out (went through 4 of those) and didn't think the storm 2 was much of an improvement.

I use my blackberry for personal use, primarily for phone, email, text, diary and Worldmate live and very occassionally the internet browser. A huge increase in screen real estate will be awesome and with the improvements on the browser, I may even use it.

Like a lot of blackberry users I was keen to move on, so I tried the HTC Desire. Nice phone and everything and as much as I tried to love it, much of the functionality /efficiency/ease of use in the blackberry we take for granted it just didn' t have. Especially email, diary sync. The majority of the funky stuff the HTC offered is cool for a second or two, but if you dont need it somewhat wasted. Sure you can get games, but if I want to play games I will do it on the xbox or a psp.
    08-06-10 08:56 AM
    Techman09,

you really nailed the point of BB with this topic!

I�m on my first BB and what moved me from my previous phone was the chance to do more work related stuff while out of the office... i just never imagined that i was going to be able to do so much, including VPN access to my laptop...

I still consider my BB 9700 a very work oriented equipment and i hope that RIM never loose sight of that objective
    08-06-10 09:28 AM
    Well, it's obvious you guys aren't into hanging out in mom's basement with your Androids and playing video games, like the guys below.

Hey, look, there's shacknews!

08-06-10 09:37 AM
    Well, it's obvious you guys aren't into hanging out in mom's basement with your Androids and playing video games, like the guys below.

lol that made my day

08-06-10 09:47 AM

We get it, Troll Boy. Now run back to Mom's basement and play with your Xbox.
    He's a young gamer. No wonder he feels like that. He probably really wants something he can hook up to his PS3 so he can power up and win the game.
    You are generalizing about this phone by labelling it as such. And this is the problem. Most of those bashing the phone are gamer consumer kids in their teens and early 20s or related types.

I don't care. But then again, I don't live in my mom's basement.
    I'm sure they will. Remember, the skinny-jean shiny-art-toy lovers and gamer/mom's basement types who constitute the majority of line-waiters have expressed their disapproval of the phone.
    Here's a clue, Troll Boy. Read my post. I said "most" were or were "related types."

You're definitely a "related type," even if you aren't a young kid and don't actually live in your mom's basement.
    Kids today . . . .
    Get a new joke.

Starting to feel like you actually live in your Mom's basement. You keep mentioning it so much.
    08-06-10 10:01 AM
    If RIM decides to "uphold its purpose" and never deviate from that, they will die.

What RIM is doing, and has done a rather good job at with the 9800, is mix new school with old school. This something they MUST do to stay relevent.
    08-06-10 10:02 AM
    No offense but I think your logic is a bit flawed.

Search my posts if you like, I've been thanked by many members of the BB community for giving a detailed, unbiased review of my Dx (I was asked to so I did). I compared and contrast the different OS'es and highlighted the pros and cons of each, mainly the Android cons as those don't seem to get mentioned much by anyone, which I always found odd. Either way, don't take this as me coming in trying to be a troll, I actually like BB and like what I've seen out of OS6.

My gripe is that folks make it seem like having a multimedia device and a business device are mutually exclusive things. All three folks (RIM, Google, and Apple) are in a rush. Apple and Google to continue to enhance their consumer oriented OS while making it more appealing to the needs of business users, RIM is doing the opposite.

I know lots of folks who are sick of having two different phones, I know our company (large gov't contractor) teamed up with Apple and we have a lot of our execs dump their company provided Blackberries for iPhones. We've also rolled out iPhones for Federal Government agencies to use (yes they're secure, we're a large IT company after all). The reason we're doing it is because developers (on our end and for other contractors) simply find the API and SDK's easier to use in making custom applications that efficiently meet company needs and to increase productivity. We've developed custom apps for our contractors to use alongside whatever Federal Gov't contract they have. In this regard, Apple has made some strides in getting its feet wet in the corporate market.

RIM just needs to do the same with the consumer market. I think the first who has a device that can do both, will end up dominating. Honestly I think RIM or Google has a better shot at this...they have one huge advantage over Apple...they sell different models under different carriers giving corporations more choices so they don't have as many hurdles to overcome as Apple would.

But I hope my little rant provides another point. I notice that the RIM faithful talk down on applications as if they're only used to create games and useless things, while yeah you can do that, businesses are beginning to go out there and create apps that they can use to enhance their business, the platform that's easier to develop for also has a big advantage.

My $0.02 FWIW.
    08-06-10 10:10 AM
    Kool guys! i have to say however, the 9800 wasn't purely made with the corporate person as its sole user. In fact, i think it is a consumer phone. I am sticking with the 9700 but i have no doubts crackberry addicts will love the phone.
    Consider it like the truck/cars now...CROSSOVERS.

BB is slammed by those who should have never owned one, thinking they did other things. Android and Iphones....cool....i like them...but for what they are. I don't hate them because it doesn't fit what I need.

And Im sure you're right...crackberrians will love it because its a blackberry with more options...and we can copy paste easily...LOL..
    08-06-10 10:15 AM
    If RIM decides to "uphold its purpose" and never deviate from that, they will die.

What RIM is doing, and has done a rather good job at with the 9800, is mix new school with old school. This something they MUST do to stay relevent.
    Agreed. I think we've seen great increases in bb users over the past few years, who would have ended up leaving anyway because a bb isn't for them...or what they do or need.

It's that simple. The numbers reflect need, not disappointment. And if you look at Iphones and Androids, they don't fit the needs of many who will stay.
    08-06-10 10:18 AM
    Get a new joke.

Starting to feel like you actually live in your Mom's basement. You keep mentioning it so much.

Sorry, Apple Boy, if you want new material, you'll have to pay me.

Remind me why you're here and not on the tipb forums? Miss the BB or something? Regrets? Insecurities?

On second thought, don't remind me. I'll just pretend you're playing with a fart app in, yup, mom's basement
    08-06-10 10:20 AM
    Get a new joke.

Hahaha Hater!

Sorry, Apple Boy, if you want new material, you'll have to pay me.

Remind me why you're here and not on the tipb forums? Miss the BB or something? Regrets? Insecurities?

On second thought, don't remind me. I'll just pretend you're playing with a fart app in, yup, mom's basement

Haha. Nice one!
    08-06-10 10:28 AM
    Come on, you two. Why does this thread HAVE to become a pissing contest? Just pull the battery out of you phone or your mouse and just chill.

It's just a phone.
    But Mom, he started it.
    08-06-10 10:31 AM
    Come on, you two. Why does this thread HAVE to become a pissing contest? Just pull the battery out of you phone or your mouse and just chill.

It's just a phone.
    Hey, I like reading threads and people are offering great perspectives from both sides of the debate. It seems like every other thread I go into, it's this guy and his "mom's basement" shtick. Where's the objectivity? He's talking about uselessness and that's nearly all of his posts in this forum. Thought I'd bring it up. I don't regret calling him out.

I'm not a current BB user but a former one and have said numerous times I'd be interested in seeing what RIM does past their upcoming 2010 releases.
    08-06-10 10:35 AM
    I LOVE that because you have an Android device, you're automatically some child who lives in their mothers basement.

Its foolish to assume that, the same way its foolish for anyone to assume that all BB users are business people.

Its all fine to dislike a manufacturer or platform, but I dont see where insults will get anyone.
    08-06-10 10:47 AM
    I would like to agree with the OP comments but ....
    I have a Storm 1 on VZW. When I first got the phone ( I upgraded from an 8830) I would receive text messages for business that had links in the message. Those links would highlight and I could click on them and the browser would open to that page. Now with the new OS5 that doesn't happen anymore. The only solution from RIM is to go back to the older OS.

Problem #2 is I receive solicitations from companies that require me to log in on their websites. One site requires Windows and AJAX to be operational on the phone browser. Not gonna happen on the Storm.

Where can I get RIM quick push email and a functional browser with the features I need? VZW is not interested in business users.
    08-06-10 11:03 AM
    Hey, I like reading threads and people are offering great perspectives from both sides of the debate. It seems like every other thread I go into, it's this guy and his "mom's basement" shtick. Where's the objectivity? He's talking about uselessness and that's nearly all of his posts in this forum. Thought I'd bring it up. I don't regret calling him out.

I'm not a current BB user but a former one and have said numerous times I'd be interested in seeing what RIM does past their upcoming 2010 releases.
    The funny thing though, is not one of those "perspectives" ever handled the phone themselves, yet they feel the need to spew garbage. Funny ain't it.
    08-06-10 02:12 PM
    What happens when rim finally catches up to the rest of the crowd. Then you old farts will be singing a different tune. Don't worry. I'm sure rim will make a decent phone before 2020.

08-06-10 02:15 PM
    We old farts know that it also will take time to take the lead in the entertainment business which is part of the company's strategic focus but they can't alienate a market in which they have the dominant share. It will also require a great deal of investment capital to develop or acquire the necessary technologies as well as having enough reserves to survive economically uncertain times. I would rather have a solid build that focuses on the business professional, some of whom make these choices so that RIM can focus more on the younger age demographic and remain a viable company.
    08-06-10 02:24 PM
    Am I one of the only few that remember what the blackberry was originally for in the first place???

Also, I am sooooo glad they left the option in there to type on a physical keyboard!!! Gooooo BB!!!! Great Job on the 9800 (even though I will have the 9700 until my funds support an upgrade)
    Great Post -- couldn't agree more.
    08-06-10 02:35 PM
    Solid build you say? Like the build of the 9630? I had to do two exchanges before I got one that I was comfortable using. And even that one had problems. Don't fool yourself. Rim is a long way from solid build.

08-06-10 02:36 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD