07-28-10 05:29 PM
    It's kind of funny, when you come right down to it. The invite to the RIM/AT&T event gets posted on the web, and everything else is speculation. The bloggers start reporting on the speculation. Then the financial rags start reporting on the bloggers. Then the stock market responds. Now the "legitimate" press reports on the stock market movement - referring back in to the massive online speculation. And yet not a single NEW FACT has come to light since the date we saw the invite posted. This is all kind of surreal. You can only hope that RIM is smart enough to have anticipated this response, and that they have not just set themselves up to provide the most massively disappointing press release in smart phone history.
    07-28-10 05:42 PM
    Kinda like the storm 1 took on the iphone?
    07-28-10 05:46 PM
    Kinda like the storm 1 took on the iphone?
    Funny. Or sad, depending on your point of view. But seriously, this one might give the iPhone 4 some real competition. Based on comments from CX, the screen/OS is highly responsive. And based on some of the testing Sal has reported, the web performance is spectacular. Combine that with a portrait style slide out keyboard, and who knows? This one may be the real deal. Let's just prey they implement the sliding mechanism well...that's my one big fear...
    07-28-10 05:53 PM
    Funny. Or sad, depending on your point of view. But seriously, this one might give the iPhone 4 some real competition. Based on comments from CX, the screen/OS is highly responsive. And based on some of the testing Sal has reported, the web performance is spectacular. Combine that with a portrait style slide out keyboard, and who knows? This one may be the real deal. Let's just prey they implement the sliding mechanism well...that's my one big fear...
    +100 on the sliding mechansim. I hope it stays shut inside the pocket when I carry it.
    07-28-10 06:36 PM
    Pretty crappy reporting by CNET - They have an older iPhone up against a Bold 9000. Couldn't they at least have Photochopped an iPhone 4 against the BlackBerry 9800 to make it more accurate and relevant?

07-28-10 07:09 PM
    I don't listen to Sal. He made a lot of the same comments about the s2, which have since mysteriously disappeared.
    07-28-10 07:43 PM
    I don't listen to Sal. He made a lot of the same comments about the s2, which have since mysteriously disappeared.
    Well, I can't speak to that, since I didn't follow it at the time. But didn't his contact run a bunch of tests on the 9800 browser in real life environment and compare them to similar tests on iPhone and Droid? I thought the results suggested the 9800 provided impressive results. Perhaps I misunderstood...
    07-28-10 07:50 PM
    Off topic post, but I have to mention that your sig made me laugh for what ever reason.
    07-28-10 07:53 PM
    Regardless of what Sal did or did not say, I think it would be a mistake to compare anything that's going on here to the Storm 1 or 2.

RIM went off the deep end with those phones, in large part to respond to the iPhone. They aren't proper BBs because they don't have a BB keyboard.

With the 9800, RIM is moving forward on its own terms, adding a large touchscreen and a good browser to a BB keyboard device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 09:00 PM
    I sure hope this deal on Aug. 3 isn't to announce that ugly *** clamshell monster! Come on 9800!!!!!!!!

07-28-10 10:58 PM
    I sure hope this deal on Aug. 3 isn't to announce that ugly *** clamshell monster! Come on 9800!!!!!!!!

Haha! Luckily no! The Clamshell is CDMA so will not be releasing on AT&T first. Most likely Verizon.
    07-28-10 11:28 PM
    It's hard to argue with a pre-existing, unbiased web program. Some words used in the reviews like "spectacular" or "amazing", sure - those are personal opinions, but the programs he used on the web browsers pull speed stats. And he ran the same tests on different phones.
    07-29-10 10:42 AM
    Regardless of what Sal did or did not say, I think it would be a mistake to compare anything that's going on here to the Storm 1 or 2.

RIM went off the deep end with those phones, in large part to respond to the iPhone. They aren't proper BBs because they don't have a BB keyboard.

With the 9800, RIM is moving forward on its own terms, adding a large touchscreen and a good browser to a BB keyboard device.

How is a 3.2" screen considered large? It's smaller than the iPhone 4 which is smaller than the Galaxy S, which is smaller than the Evo/Droid X. For a multi-media, web surfing phone, which the 9800 allegedly is, a 3.2 inch screen is a FAIL.
    07-29-10 02:12 PM
    How is a 3.2" screen considered large? It's smaller than the iPhone 4 which is smaller than the Galaxy S, which is smaller than the Evo/Droid X. For a multi-media, web surfing phone, which the 9800 allegedly is, a 3.2 inch screen is a FAIL.
    I think you're just missing the point. Blackberry is focused on it's core - messaging, battery life, keyboard. They are catching up on the other stuff...enough so that we don't have to feel like we've been left behind. If Blackberry continues to crush it in the core areas, and is pretty much in line on everything else, then you have an overall winner. You can always get the Dell Streak if you really want that big screen...
    07-29-10 02:33 PM
    No, I got the point. Blackberry has been focused on its core and it's lost market share. Thus, they are trying to compete with more consumer/prosumer phones like the ones I mentioned and they are bringing a knife to a gun fight. I for one was hoping they would retain the core and step up the specs. People would pay $399.00 for a Blackberry slider if it truly competed with the Galaxy phones or the iPhone.
    07-29-10 02:45 PM
    No, I got the point. Blackberry has been focused on its core and it's lost market share. Thus, they are trying to compete with more consumer/prosumer phones like the ones I mentioned and they are bringing a knife to a gun fight. I for one was hoping they would retain the core and step up the specs. People would pay $399.00 for a Blackberry slider if it truly competed with the Galaxy phones or the iPhone.
    I still disagree. Blackberry hasn't really lost share - they just haven't picked up their "fair share" of the new smart phone market created by Apple and Google. They are clearly going after that "new" consumer market now. And they are doing it by chasing specs. On some fronts, they are playing catch-up slowly. On other fronts, we are hearing reports they are actually leap-frogging the competition (as in the new Browser experience). The larger screen size is a choice - the 9800 offers a massive improvement over the 9700, but will hopefully not drain the battery too much. It is also close enough to the competition that it will be able to entice folks with the core functionality it offers. I would bet the 9800 makes RIM a real player in the consumer market. Maybe not to the tune of its dominant share in the professional market, but it will be a real player. At least that's my point of view.
    07-29-10 02:58 PM
    You can always get the Dell Streak if you really want that big screen...

Better get a pair of very wide and strong suspenders to hold your pants up, as well as a bluetooth headset so you don't have to hold that brick in your hands while you use it as a phone!

07-29-10 03:07 PM
    3.2 is a great size for this form of phone, the Pre is 3.1. Can you imagine a 4-4.5 inch screen with the keyboard deployed the thing would be 8-9 inches long! As stated if you are interested in a screen of that size move along go get a Droid, or an iPad!

Is anyone else getting quite sick of this "FAIL" crap?
    07-29-10 03:08 PM

i disagree, the email and notification features make a blackberry, not the buttons. i left bb for droid last month, and although my incredible is a kick *** phone, i miss my storm every day. i soooo wish this slider was coming to verizon.
    07-29-10 03:09 PM
    the droid x is a monstrosity. and one thing i really miss about my storm was being able to navigate the entire screen with one hand/thumb, which i can't do with my incredible. i think there is a limit to the value of a large touchscreen.
    07-29-10 03:13 PM
    Between the absurd Streak and even the Droid X, RIM could've at least used a 3.5" screen like on the iPhone4. The Captivate has a 4" screen and its very pocketable. Going with 3.2" and hyping the multi-media web experience is just dumb.
    07-29-10 03:18 PM
    the droid x is a monstrosity. and one thing i really miss about my storm was being able to navigate the entire screen with one hand/thumb, which i can't do with my incredible. i think there is a limit to the value of a large touchscreen.
    Thanks for sharing this perspective alexsupertramp. To be honest, never having used the Storm, I was not familiar with this aspect of the device. Interesting that there may be a functional downside to the size of the screen (other than the aesthetic comment about holding a brick to your ear).
    07-29-10 03:18 PM
    Between the absurd Streak and even the Droid X, RIM could've at least used a 3.5" screen like on the iPhone4. The Captivate has a 4" screen and its very pocketable. Going with 3.2" and hyping the multi-media web experience is just dumb.
    Again, interesting perspective. But are you really saying the 9800 will be a failure because RIM went with 3.2" instead of at least 3.5"? Maybe I'm not envisioning this properly, but I just don't see why this is such a big concern...
    07-29-10 03:21 PM
    Thanks for sharing this perspective alexsupertramp. To be honest, never having used the Storm, I was not familiar with this aspect of the device. Interesting that there may be a functional downside to the size of the screen (other than the aesthetic comment about holding a brick to your ear).
    i have learned quite a bit about blackberry features since picking up a droid. i realize now that a lot of what i took for granted was very intentional in the design of the bb os.
    07-29-10 03:27 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD