some of you may remember me as being an active 9000 user over a year ago, but many may not. I left BlackBerry and switched to the iPhone 3GS last December and got an iPhone 4 in June, it just made sense. Then here comes the Torch and my whole perception of RIM changed all over again. I always loved BlackBerry keyboards and the email (even as just personal/fun) is just unparalleled in my opinion. I just wanted to post this to show my level of appreciation for the Torch because I think it's been attacked a wee bit too much by tech blogs and "professionals". So here's some positivity
    09-14-10 04:48 PM
    Nice post, keep up the positive vibes, there is so much crap being written at the moment that it would seriously put people off buying the torch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 04:53 PM
    What is it about the Torch you love so much? I'm only asking because I have given some thought to getting it as well, although I'm due for an upgrade any time soon so it would be full price. I'd like to hear your opinion, pro's and con's on the device. Web browser, screen resolution, bugs, screen lag. Also what OS are you using? Thanks.

09-14-10 04:59 PM
    The most obvious pro's are the touchscreen, OS6, webkit browser, physical/virtual keyboard and trackpad. The trackpad, touchscreen, and keyboard offer an interface capability that the 9700 lacks. The webkit browser is great as well with pinch to zoom, tap, and tabbed browsing. The customization and menus are much better. The incorporation of media and social networking capabilities are also great. While the 9700 may eventually get OS 6, it may not be anytime soon.

The most obvious con's are the screen resolution, processor speed and battery life as well as non-stereo speakers. These are only minor as all these aspects meet my needs. There are some very minor OS glitches. I have noticed no lag with the Torch although some have claimed to have seen it. I wish the processor and browser were faster and that the Torch had battery life like the 9700. The OS issues should hopefully be addressed in the next OS release.
    09-14-10 06:10 PM
    ME TOO! after i finally got one that worked (most of the problems were my fault) ... i am so pleased. i can't imagine not having a touchscreen now. i've always wanted an iphone because of the touchscreen but never got one because everyone i know has a bb & i only use BBM to communicate. now i can say "screw the iphone!"

my only cons are speaker volume & battery life. so i plug my headset up if i'm going to be on the phone for awhile & i got a car charger plus another home charger for work.
    09-14-10 06:33 PM
    What is it about the Torch you love so much? I'm only asking because I have given some thought to getting it as well, although I'm due for an upgrade any time soon so it would be full price. I'd like to hear your opinion, pro's and con's on the device. Web browser, screen resolution, bugs, screen lag. Also what OS are you using? Thanks.

I am using OS .214 and have ZERO lag. the web browser is much improved from the old Berry browser and is just as usable as the iPhone one, and I prefer the way RIM made tabs VS. the way apple did, but that's just my opinion. The screen resolution is probably the only bummer of the device, but you get used to it really quick aha.

and what I really love about the Torch is how I don't feel like I'm going to break it just by using/touching it like I did with my iPhone 4. The notifications bar is awesome and having specific alerts for every little things makes me feel like I have some control, finally lmao. & emails come in INSTANTLY and don't use my battery life, that truly amazes me aha.
    09-14-10 06:44 PM
    OP, I'm so glad you started this thread. I've had my Torch for over a week and I'm in love. I had the iPhone 4 and it was a good computer and but a horrible phone. I can't stop playing with my blackberry. I haven't upgraded the OS yet, I have a little lag, but it's not consistent. The is by far the best phone I have purchased since my 8310.
    09-14-10 06:59 PM
    Ugraded from an 8310 to a torch a few weeks ago. Only complaint I have is with the phone and I wonder if others have had the same issue. The earpiece is very tinny when I hear my own voice while talking. The voice on the other end of the call sounds fine. Other than that I ove the phone. It's leaps and bounds ahead of my old curve and the browser and touch screen are huge improvements. Also love that you can use itunes.

09-14-10 08:29 PM
    Ugraded from an 8310 to a torch a few weeks ago. Only complaint I have is with the phone and I wonder if others have had the same issue. The earpiece is very tinny when I hear my own voice while talking. The voice on the other end of the call sounds fine. Other than that I ove the phone. It's leaps and bounds ahead of my old curve and the browser and touch screen are huge improvements. Also love that you can use itunes.

yep, this is something i have experienced too, and in switching out my original Torch for a replacement, the issue was still there though slightly lessened. in reading techie blog reviews, this was something that was mentioned a couple times, so i expected it, or at least was not surprised. however, since i rarely use the phone, and it is not unbearable, i decided i dont care enough abt it to keep me from absolutely loving my Torch. now if it affected text and email, that would be a true issue! lol

i was using my 9000 for 2 years, and when it came time for my upgrade, i was tempted by android and tried the captivate. beautiful phone and screen, but oddly too lightweight (the Torch may be heavier than other BBs, but i love that about it, i like a solid phone in my hand, not one that i barely feel and fear dropping). and i realized while android, or even iphone, apps might be fun at first, it really doesnt hold my attention or matter enough to me to lose the incredible batter life and superb email functionality (i'm a yahoo email user, and this was a ***** to set up on android!! shocking...). plus i missed my fave apps like berrybuzz, and being able to set ringtones for people's texts, etc. the Torch is just rocking my world and i am re-enamored with ymy BB again. Torch FTW by a long shot!!
    09-14-10 10:02 PM
    I have Torch since launch day so it has been over a month..and I am still using the very first .135 East Asian ROM. I actually upgraded to .225 but lack of East Asian input made me downgraded back to .135..even so..I have nothing but love for Torch..I am lucky I never experienced any of the issues some people here are facing (like BIS, lag, poor hardware, etc)..talking about lag..is it laggy? Not to me..switching application, flipping menu page, scrolling pages is a breeze..I have used iphone4 and nexus one..sure these 2 devices have a smoother feel when flipping and scrolling but Torch handles that very well too though Torch don't give you that silky smooth scrolling and flipping of pages but the so called "lag" is so insignificant..I think if one don't measure it under a microscope one will really enjoy its true potential..I am on ROM .135 and I am so happy with its performance that I don't even think of upgrading the ROM. The more I use the Torch, the more I gain its potential..it is now my work tool and play tool..i just can't put it down..I type and type on it every moment, composing my work email, personal emails, BBM, forum posting..trade stocks, surf net, post face book..I recently purchase a be buzz application, and now I customize my LED by sender so I know at a glance at the LED color who has sent me emails/text and I can prioritize my response..for instance if an email from my boss come in my LED lighted up in disco light and I know I got to respond...what a nice feature and I truly think this feature should some in as default after all a bb is a communication tool and it is little feature like this that make a bb such a productive tool..I love my Torch..

09-14-10 10:03 PM

These "tin" noises you are experiencing are fixed in the newer updates. If you haven't already I'd recommend the .214 upgrade to further enhance your BB experience. And if I'm not mistaken the Asian character bundles have now been released for .214 as well.

09-14-10 10:11 PM
    Excellent thread! Everybody post about how much you love your Torches!
    09-14-10 10:36 PM
    I love my Torch too, one of the better BlackBerry devices in my opinion after trying nearly every one on the market... It's good to read the positive instead of the constant complaints (makes you start looking for things you never knew existed)

09-15-10 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD