I would like to buy a white housing and T1, T2 screwdrivers, however, I've heard that if I replace the housing, even with an original one, the value of the phone will go downhill. Is that true? I am not sure if I want to mess around with it, but I am sick of the black color and definitely the bezel which just scratched out of absolutely NO where.

Do you guys think it is easy to do by getting the correct screwdrivers and following a tutorial on YouTube, for instance? And does it feel the same afterwards or does the sliding mechanism feel a bit different or less smooth, for instance?

Thank you.
    08-19-11 10:13 PM
    I posted this in another thread. How long do you plan on owning the phone. Lets face it, its not a collectors item. So long as you keep the old housing your good to go.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-torch-639069/
    08-19-11 10:29 PM
    Thank you. I guess if I am ever bored with it, I can give it to my sister instead of selling it; I want the new iPhone when it comes out, plus, I already have an unused Bold 9000 that I can use for BBM.

Anyway, the thread is cool, but, it didn't really help me with some of my questions. Is it easy to install a housing? The guy seems experienced so I can't tell. And does it feel the same afterwards or does the sliding mechanism feel a bit different, less smooth, rough, etc.?
    08-19-11 10:40 PM
    The Torch is probably the hardest device to change the housing on, at least from what I've heard. It's pretty easy on a 9000 or 97xx... but the Torch looks scary to me, because you practically have to disassemble everything on it.
    08-19-11 10:50 PM
    The sliding part is probably the most difficult. However, the white one looks amazing and I couldn't find one when I bought this. Been sad ever since, lol.

Thanks for your post.
    08-19-11 10:53 PM
    I started it and gave up. You need to break things to get it apart and also a heat gun. This was way way harder than any other BB ive ever done.
    08-19-11 11:00 PM
    Break things? Heat gun? I am not doing those. I tried disassembling my Xbox 360 once because it got RROD'd and it required some "extra" tool-work done and I failed at it miserably and ended up screwing it even more. I am not doing that to my Torch.

Are you sure, though? I am currently downloading something and my internet is slow, but as soon as it's done, I'd like to view any video of someone replacing the housing of a Torch.

I noticed that in Out_Of_Ideas's thread, his Torch still has the same bezel (the one above the camera), which is weird.
    08-19-11 11:04 PM
    I just watched a video of an expert replacing the house of a Torch 9800. Wow, it's definitely way harder than I expected. I guess I'm hitting the brakes on this one, as I know I will not be able to do it, and I won't risk damaging my main phone.

Thanks for the information guys.
    08-20-11 12:13 AM
    I started it and gave up. You need to break things to get it apart and also a heat gun. This was way way harder than any other BB ive ever done.
    If you need to "break things", your doing something wrong.
    A heat gun isn't necessary, though it does make it easier to disassemble some parts.
    08-20-11 07:26 PM
    I understand from the video I have watched that there are two parts that have several clips that need to be de-attached, and that's very hard to do without breaking them. One of those parts is the mute/lock keys piece on top.
    08-20-11 07:40 PM
    The hardest part is getting the LCD out of the bezel. It is glued in and just about impossible to get out without breaking it. It also involves prying out the digitiser, which is glued in as well.
    08-20-11 08:00 PM
    Cheap after market parts added to the fact you are wanting to switch the housing on the hardest unit to switch will leave you with a dysfunctional phone and a lot of money down the drain.

I say find another project, this one will only end in disappointment.

Or you could send it to www.horizonwirelessonline.com and have them do it for you.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-20-11 at 09:57 PM.
    08-20-11 08:40 PM
    Cheap after market parts added to the fact you are wanting to switch the housing on the hardest unit to switch will leave you with a dysfunctional phone and a lot of money down the drain.

I say find another project, this one will only end in disappointment.

Or you could send it to HorizonWirelessOnline and have them do it for you.
    It all depends on what kind of aftermarket parts you are talking about.. I replace the housing on my phone all the time, and my Torch is fully fuctional. I have a couple of threads here with the pictures of my Torch. Yes, they are difficult to install, but after the first time, it gets a lot easier.
    08-22-11 02:39 PM
    I'm one of the ones sending a phone to out of ideas. the work looks great!
    08-22-11 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD