im still baffled and want to know why my unlocked torch that im using with tmobile cant get 3G? can some one give me a explianation on this?. can i load the 9780's os onto this phone and get 3G service?? I love my torch but i hate the fact that when im on the phone nothing else works. please someone school me!!!
    11-24-10 04:58 AM
    ...I suppose the obvious question is do you have a data plan?
    11-24-10 05:04 AM
    Data plan has nothing to do with 3G
    I believe att and t-mobile have different
    Bands, So you won't ever get 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 05:07 AM
    Data plan has nothing to do with 3G
    I believe att and t-mobile have different
    Bands, So you won't ever get 3G

A data plan has Everything to do with 3G. Without it you will only be able to browse using Wifi (unless you have a blackberry specific plan that allows for facebook/email/myspace).
    11-24-10 05:15 AM
    If you read the op's post, he is saying he
    Can't even get 3G! So in this case a data plan has
    NOTHING to do with it, like I said the bands for att and
    T-mobile are different so the op will only get edge

11-24-10 05:18 AM
    A data plan has Everything to do with 3G. Without it you will only be able to browse using Wifi (unless you have a blackberry specific plan that allows for facebook/email/myspace).
    Actually, it doesnt. You can get 3G without a blackberry data plan so...

The real problem is that the torch doesnt support 3G bands from t-mobile and op didnt research before buying.

Torch bands for 3G:
    2100/1900/850/800 MHz

TMobile bands for 3G:
    2100/1700 Mhz

Thyforrrr, not compatibleh, you are going to be stuck on EDGE for the rest of your life unless you upgrade to a t-mobile band compatible device haha.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-24-10 at 07:04 AM.
    11-24-10 07:01 AM
    If it is an ATT Torch on T-Mobile you will never get 3G.

As stated the two carriers use different bands for their 3G frequencies.

You are and will be stuck on EDGE.

sorry for your luck.
    11-24-10 07:03 AM
    I understand you only have 55 post at this time, so i'll be gentle.

EVERY phone out there has a set of frequency bands programmed into the phone. T-Mobile and ATT use different bands sets.

DATA PLAN has nothing to do with accessing 3G frequencies. I can take a regular T-Mobile phone that has a 3G (HSPA) radio in it and unlock it for AT&T use and not get 3G on it.

The only way to get HSPA on a phone is to buy one that has the band frequencies you need it and use it on the carrier, that supports those bands.

THE only carriers that i am aware of that uses T-Mobile bands in North America is Wind Mobile out of Canada, and Cincinnati Bell out of the Miami Valley in the mid-west.
    11-24-10 07:52 AM
    im still baffled and want to know why my unlocked torch that im using with tmobile cant get 3G? can some one give me a explianation on this?. can i load the 9780's os onto this phone and get 3G service?? I love my torch but i hate the fact that when im on the phone nothing else works. please someone school me!!!
    AT&T and T mobile both have 3G BUT... and a big BUT
    on different frequencies... so you'll only get EDGE.
    so far, if you want Torch and 3G you need to switch to AT&T.
    11-24-10 08:08 AM
    LOL, how many replies saying the same thing does it take...

I smell an Aggie joke in there somwhere. Something about a lightbulb, LOL...

That joke can go 2 ways...

Answer is 5: 1 to hold the buld and 4 to rotate the ladder

Or

Answer is 5: since they are usually "boss", it takes 5 to stand around watching the worker bee do the work just to ensure it is done right!

Last edited by shansmi; 11-24-10 at 09:23 AM.
    11-24-10 09:19 AM
    I understand you only have 55 post at this time, so i'll be gentle.
    I don't want to start a thing here, because I do understand the fact that different carriers have different bands and are thus not cross compatible. What I'm saying is that you cannot access the 3G network on any phone, regardless of carrier, locked or unlocked if you don't have the proper access.

I can only use myself as an example: When I purchased my iphone 3G i didn't get a data plan initially because I thought wifi would be sufficient. I could only get internet access at school, Starbucks, or on my home wifi etc. I realized quickly that I wanted that constant connection and thus upgraded to a data plan.

No plan = wifi only, data plan = 3G. Right?
    11-25-10 01:48 AM
    Wrong. 3G has nothing to do with data. Going back to my Motorola Razr, I had no data plan but always had 3G. 3G is a connection between the phone and the carrier. This connection can be used for making a call or for transferring data.

If you don't have a data plan, you can still have a 3G connection.
    11-25-10 01:54 AM
    I don't want to start a thing here, because I do understand the fact that different carriers have different bands and are thus not cross compatible. What I'm saying is that you cannot access the 3G network on any phone, regardless of carrier, locked or unlocked if you don't have the proper access.

I can only use myself as an example: When I purchased my iphone 3G i didn't get a data plan initially because I thought wifi would be sufficient. I could only get internet access at school, Starbucks, or on my home wifi etc. I realized quickly that I wanted that constant connection and thus upgraded to a data plan.

Nope, put any sim card without data plan in a blackberry on any 3G zone, you will get 3G, just no blackberry data (no blackberry symbol), however, you will have access to carrier data "WAP" internet access, if and only if you have allowed them to do so, but they will charge you. Otherwise you will get 3G but no data whatsoever, but you are still getting 3G. iPhone and blackberry are not the only ones who have data, carriers do too, carriers have WAP and MMS services for which they have to provide the signal.

Blackberry or iphone data plan doesnt mean 3G access... Its just a registration to connect to the servers in case of blackberry. You connect to BIS, your identification with the server (or so) is the plan you paid for. The carrier only routes that connection through their infrastructure and antennas and servers, for which they usually put limits on it. When you use wifi on a wifi capable blackberry, the BIS connection gets rerouted through wifi, through the ISP and you dont incur extra data charges since you are not using the carrier's infrastructure.

Data plan is access to specific data, not to the 3G carrier's connection. You dont need a data plan to be able to get a 3G signal. Data for specific data, bands for signal.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-25-10 at 02:14 AM.
    11-25-10 01:57 AM

I'm under the assumption that the OP has a data plan, because he is specifically complaining about the lack of 3G, and not data. That suggests that he has a data plan, but his phone is only connecting to EDGE.
    11-25-10 03:56 AM
    Data plan or no data plan

That is not the issue here

The simple fact is the device will not get 3G on t-mobile

End of

11-25-10 05:25 AM
    Data plan or no data plan

That is not the issue here

The simple fact is the device will not get 3G on t-mobile

End of

I should obviously stick to just Using my torch and not trying to solve problems
    11-25-10 05:31 AM
    I'm under the assumption that the OP has a data plan, because he is specifically complaining about the lack of 3G, and not data. That suggests that he has a data plan, but his phone is only connecting to EDGE.
    Exactly! You are correct, sir.
    11-25-10 07:52 AM
    When I purchased my iphone 3G i didn't get a data plan initially because I thought wifi would be sufficient. I could only get internet access at school, Starbucks, or on my home wifi etc. I realized quickly that I wanted that constant connection and thus upgraded to a data plan.

I'm sure you got the gist of gbsn's post above, but to clarify: a Wi-Fi enabled BB without a data plan canNOT use data over Wi-Fi either. As someone pointed out, there is a small bit of browsing that can be accessed over the carrier's WAP network with Wi-Fi, but no apps requiring data will work.

No data plan = No BIS access = No nuthin'!
    (Sorry to get all high-tech on y'all� )
    11-25-10 07:57 AM
    AT&T and T mobile both have 3G BUT... and a big BUT
    on different frequencies... so you'll only get EDGE.
    so far, if you want Torch and 3G you need to switch to AT&T.
    +1. The 9000 never left AT&T. The Torch was developed with AT&T in a joint venture. I also understand that TMO users are fiercely loyal as AT&T are as well but @mark is correct. With impending release of the 9780 on AT&T, it seems that the device exclusivity is long-term. No offense but VZW (CDMA) and TMO (GSM) owners need to stop wishing for something that ahs very little chance of happening.

11-25-10 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD