I had a Bold 9000 way back when and currently have an iPhone 4, but I REALLY want a Torch and think I'm getting one in the coming days.

Do you guys think it's a good switch? and any tips?

I'm excited to be coming back
    09-10-10 11:46 PM
    Well heck ya but I am just a wee bit biased. I would suggest you hit a corporate store and play with a live Torch, then make your final decesion.

IMO, what the heck are ya wait'in for!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 11:54 PM
    I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Bold 9700 and then to a Torch. I had been an iPhone user since 2007 and was dedicated to the platform but grew tired of their insane app approval process, lack of true Google Voice compatibility, and an email client that simply doesn't perform very well. Also, after switching to the Bold, I realized that the tremendous service-related issues I always experienced with my iPhones (dropped calls, etc) were more Apple's fault than AT&T's. I have yet to drop a call on my Blackberries, and data is as solid as ever.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 4 is a GORGEOUS device, and in a lot of ways is a really incredible phone. I found I was unable to depend on it though. Switching to the Bold gave me a phone I knew I could depend on to have great battery life, always get my emails immediately, and never drop a call.

My switch to the Torch has been a little rocky, but it's ended up well. I had a few build related issues and had to swap it out a few times to get a good one, but now that I do, I really really like it. I'm not a huge fan of slider phones, but I think OS 6 is so far ahead of OS 5 that it's worth dealing with. Once the 9780 comes out, I may switch to that.

After switching to the Blackberry platform, I simply haven't looked back. I own an iPad for all the iOS apps that I enjoy, but for my main mobile needs, Blackberry OS is so much more powerful than even the latest versions of iOS are. Customizability and utility are on a whole new level. I really enjoy it, and if you're someone that values productivity and efficiency, you will too.
    09-10-10 11:55 PM
    Switch to the torch . WIih the new .214 version of the OS things are a lot smoother. Don't think ull be disappointing. I was an iphone 3gs user, then 9700, and now 9800. Loving the torch.
    09-11-10 12:49 AM
    Switch to the torch . WIih the new .214 version of the OS things are a lot smoother. Don't think ull be disappointing. I was an iphone 3gs user, then 9700, and now 9800. Loving the torch.
    will there ever be a way to update software on a Mac?
    09-11-10 12:59 AM
    will there ever be a way to update software on a Mac?
    Eventually? Probably.
    For right now you'll probably be better off dual booting

09-11-10 03:21 AM
    Yeah I've got an old Acer netbook lying around that has pretty much no other function other than for updating my Blackberry.
    09-11-10 11:44 AM
    Think I'm going to be joining you as well. Coming from the Tour

09-11-10 02:44 PM
    Of the 4 blackberry phones i have used, I think the Torch is the best to date.
    09-11-10 03:18 PM
    I just left the AT&T store this afternoon. I was messing around with the Fascinate, iPhone 4, Pre Plus, and the Torch. I have to say that the Torch is the best phone that they have. Before, I thought that it would be the fourth best phone, but it is a lot better than I thought. The browser is really nice. The hardware was ok, a little loose, but that could be because I was using a demo unit. But I was really impressed with the device.
    09-11-10 07:01 PM
    I have to say that when I was at the AT&T store getting a new phone for my wife's promotion, I was drawn to the Blackberry because I know that BBs are great business phones. When I picked up the Torch and felt it's hefty weight feeling in my hand, I knew this was the phone to get. We are new to BBs and I am very glad I tried them out at the AT&T corporate store.
    Only two weeks and I am BB envious of my wife's Torch and can't wait for my current contract to end so I can upgrade to a BB. It's gonna be a while so by that time, there should be even better BBs out there.
    Last edited by ghostryder12; 09-11-10 at 07:59 PM.
    09-11-10 07:55 PM
    Interesting comments Dwayne, how would you compare it to the EVO?
    09-11-10 07:55 PM
    beside minor light leakage around the call and menu button & very slight wobble when closed this phone is perfect. I have no regrets trading my iPhone 4 on craigslist for it

is there a way I can get my contacts from "Address Book" on my iMac onto my BlackBerry?
    09-11-10 09:01 PM
    beside minor light leakage around the call and menu button & very slight wobble when closed this phone is perfect. I have no regrets trading my iPhone 4 on craigslist for it

is there a way I can get my contacts from "Address Book" on my iMac onto my BlackBerry?
    I think so. This should have the answers you seek
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/desktop_mac.jsp

EDIT: And congrats!!!

09-11-10 09:12 PM
    I think so. This should have the answers you seek
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

EDIT: And congrats!!!

thank you!
    is the slight wobble when closed normal? I feel like it is because every portrait slider I've played with does. just wondering
    09-11-10 10:37 PM
    I hope you will enjoy your Torch. Actually I must say your folks in the USA are very fortunate because you are first to get new phones and you have 30 days return policy so you can try it out to find out if the purchase suits you. Me in Asia we tend to get new phone several months after US release so firstly to try out a new phone we must bid crazy price on ebay and secondly if we don't like it we have no recourse. Back to Torch I am really enjoying it. It is a great phone. I have used many phones including iphone, nokia, google and other bb models and I really think the Torch is my best phone.

09-11-10 10:48 PM
    thank you!
    is the slight wobble when closed normal? I feel like it is because every portrait slider I've played with does. just wondering
    Every slider I've touched, be it new or a beaten display model, has had at least a little wobble to it. The worst was the Pre I had for 28 days that had serious Oreo and touch screen wobble. It was solid with the screen up though The best has been my GF's CLIQ and my backup Moto Z9. Both of them feel like they were handmade, but I've always had good experiences with Motorola hardware My 9800 has a little wobble when closed and using the touchscreen, but no Oreo effect or spray paint rattle. Sliding the screen and with it open it feels nice and tight.

09-11-10 11:14 PM
    exactly the same here. no rattle or oreo or dead pixels so I'm STOKED!
    09-11-10 11:18 PM
    Interesting comments Dwayne, how would you compare it to the EVO?
    I will try to be as objective as possible seeing aa though I own the EVO and that I hace had limited time with the Torch. But here it goes.

The EVO is probably the beat device on th planet right now, but it has its flaws. One big the keyboard. I like using the compact qwerty because I have big hands, but it lags at times which can be frustrating. I didn't experience this with the Torch at all. The Suretype virtual keyboard was great to use. Of couse the screen size of the EVO is larger, but I thought the Torch was decently sized. I have read a lot of complaints about the screen resolution, but I didn't see it as being an issue. I like the look of the screen. Navigating through the OS was easy. I wouldn't expect it to have the customization of the EVO, but that's ok with me. The browser on the Torch is nice. My honest opinion, if I disabled flash on my EVO, there really wouldn't be a difference in the browsers. The phone seemed snappy and well thought out. Of course I couldn't test some of the other features like the social networking application and the email, but I'm pretty sure blackberry still does push notifications and email well. When I think it really excels over the EVO is battery life and personal information management.

Again, I would give the edge to the EVO, but the Torch seems like a great product.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 09-12-10 at 12:45 AM.
    09-12-10 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD