Okay. So I went from iPhone 1G, 2G, 3G. Then switched to a Crackberry addict with the Blackberry Bold 9000 (ABSOLUTELY FAVORITE). I just recently broke my Blackberry Bold 9000 which screen turned completely white suddenly during a phone call so I used my old iPhone then upgraded to my new Blackberry Torch 9800 thinking I'd love it since I loved my iPhone's simplicity but needed BBM and the physical keyboard. My mom pays for all my bills so she was hesitant to buy the Torch for me since I go through phones like crazy. I insisted I'd love it so I got it. Problem. I hate it. I can't tell my mom cuz she'll kill me.

The main reason I hate the Torch is because of the interface. I hate OS 6! Its not snappy, it's fat, it's big, it's not necessarily attractive. The only thing I love about this phone is the Camera and the internet browser. I hate the BBM interface and much preferred it on OS 5. OS 5 was so much cleaner, than this new one. The Favorites, Frequently Used, and Media tabs are so unnecessary. The keyboard is fine and the touch is BEARABLE at best, but it's not like anyone would really use it. The keyboard COULD be bigger. I'm so annoyed though because the track pad and the actual touch screen sometimes overlap and when im trying to select something in a text it'll swipe to the next text message which is so annoying. I just want OS 5 on my torch. Im so tempted to put my damn SIM card in my BB9000. I played around with my old BB 9000 and found myself trying to touch the screen. WHY CANT BLACKBERRY recreate the BB 9000 with a touch screen (no touch keyboard) and just leave everything else the same?! Wasn't that supposed to be the Blackberry Magnum/Dakota? BlackBerry Essex photo and specs, BlackBerry Dakota specifications | DWS Tech I need it NOW. Also when I type on the top buttons of my keyboard I always rub against my case which is extremely annoying cuz it makes like a squeeky noise (it's a silicon case).

Im extremely unhappy with my Torch and am seriously considering trading it for a 9780 when it comes out... or a Blackberry Magnum/Dakota whenever it decides to come out.

My question. What would be a wise approach to my situation? I obviously can't return my phone. I've dropped the thing 4 times, every time I drop it the case explodes into pieces (no case seems to stay on even if you drop it). Attempt to trade my Torch for a 9780? wait for the Blackberry Magnum/Dakota?
    10-19-10 09:00 PM
    I'll trade you a 9000 for your torch :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 09:05 PM
    My advice is to give it a chance. I admit that I was skeptical too when I first got mine as well as didn't like the feel of it or how I didn't really know how to use many of its features. For a lack of a better explanation, it was awkward because I was so used to my old phone.

It must have been that I was used to my good ol trusty Curve because after some time, i got used to it and I love mine. And now, when I pick up my curve I keep hitting the screen.

10-19-10 09:09 PM
    Hide your kids, Hide your wife, and Hide your Torch because they be returning everybody out here.
    Just sell your 9800 online, and purchase a Bold 9000 or trade with someone here on the CB forums!
    10-19-10 09:11 PM
    Keep in mind the 9780 will come with the same OS6 interface you seem to hate...

10-19-10 09:11 PM
    I still have my 9000... It's a bit scratched up on the metal band around it, but it still works. My thing with the 9000 is it has HORRIBLE battery life and crashes very frequently. And often times it would not connect to my charger.
    10-19-10 09:15 PM
    Keep in mind the 9780 will come with the same OS6 interface you seem to hate...

Can I not downgrade it to 5.0? D:... Crap. I want the Dakota/Magnum so bad. The BB 9000 would be PERFECT. The PERFECT phone with touch capabilities and a keyboard. Im not even a fan of slider phones.

I am going to give it more time... I just find so much on the OS 6 operating system to be COMPLETELY pointless. The tabbed homecreen... most notably. I love the browser and zoom. Locking the screen gets all glitchy sometimes... Oh and for the Torch when im on phone calls I often hit speaker with my cheek. It has bad recognition of when the phones next to my ear versus when its not. It's really annoying. Also... how did Blackberry skip over the whole front facing camera that every phone seems to have? the 9780 should have been shipped with a front facing camera at the least ... SMH. I think front facing cameras will be standard in future phone models with the iPhone's revolutionary facetime app and such.
    10-19-10 09:20 PM
    I still have my 9000... It's a bit scratched up on the metal band around it, but it still works. My thing with the 9000 is it has HORRIBLE battery life and crashes very frequently. And often times it would not connect to my charger.
    You must just have bad phone karma!

Seriously, I had (actually still have) a 9000, and one of the toughest things about making the decision to move to the Torch was that I loved the Bold so much. But the Bold's browser flat out sucks, and I liked the idea of a bigger display and pretty much everything about the Torch's form factor, so I jumped and haven't looked back. But my Bold hardly ever crashed. Once in a great while it would freeze up, but I think I could count on one hand the number of times that happened in a year and a half. And battery life was decent, always getting a day's usage no matter how much I beat on it.

I'm very satisfied with the Torch. But as for pointlessness in 6.0, I will agree with ya about the tabbed home screen ... I don't use any of them other than the All tab. I really, REALLY wish they had made that configurable.
    10-19-10 09:30 PM
    Can't you just get a different theme to your tastes?
    10-19-10 09:30 PM
    Can't you just get a different theme to your tastes?
    If you have any recommendations. I'll gladly take them. : (
    10-19-10 09:33 PM
    You must just have bad phone karma!

Seriously, I had (actually still have) a 9000, and one of the toughest things about making the decision to move to the Torch was that I loved the Bold so much. But the Bold's browser flat out sucks, and I liked the idea of a bigger display and pretty much everything about the Torch's form factor, so I jumped and haven't looked back. But my Bold hardly ever crashed. Once in a great while it would freeze up, but I think I could count on one hand the number of times that happened in a year and a half. And battery life was decent, always getting a day's usage no matter how much I beat on it.

I'm very satisfied with the Torch. But as for pointlessness in 6.0, I will agree with ya about the tabbed home screen ... I don't use any of them other than the All tab. I really, REALLY wish they had made that configurable.
    I agree... It needed to be configurable. I loved the new settings features and friendly interface though.

Being that Im on twitter 24/7 on my BB 9000 and on the internet 24/7 and on BBM and texting... my BB9000 could easily die in 4-6 hours on a FULLY charged battery. Im a heavy user. The BB Torch even with the increased battery life still barely lasts me a day. Im always on it. It's the nature of my internship and such since im a student as well I use it throughout the day. The BB9000 would not suffice.
    10-19-10 09:36 PM
    Can I not downgrade it to 5.0? D:... Crap.
    Nope. There was never a 5.0 OS for the 9780, and OS's are device-specific. Yes, even between a 9700 and a 9780.

If that was a serious question, your only hope would be a hybrid loaded with old files. It would have to be a custom request, I'm sure. After all, most hybrids are aimed at progress...
    10-19-10 09:40 PM
    Indeed. You'd be better off looking for a theme.

10-19-10 09:48 PM
    If you have any recommendations. I'll gladly take them. : (
    Check out the HTC Theme in the Themes Forum. It gets rid of all the useless tabs but still gives you the option to keep up to 12 icons on the home screen.

What OS are you currently running? There should be no reason your cheek is pressing any keys on the phone unless the proximity sensor is eff'd up. And I'd suggest maybe turning down your screen sensitivity if your constantly swiping from the trackpad onto the screen..or turn up the trackpad sensitivity. There should be no reason that's happening other than you're getting all crazy with your thumb action lol.

10-19-10 09:54 PM
    I too Love my 9000, but once I got the Torch, I fell in Love all over again. Trust me, It was a little weird for me to get used to it at first, but now I can't Live without it. It's has way more memory and so many other goodies. Play with it a little longer. If you still hate it I'll trade u my Bold for your Torch

10-19-10 10:12 PM
    Hide your kids, Hide your wife, and Hide your Torch because they be returning everybody out here.
    Just sell your 9800 online, and purchase a Bold 9000 or trade with someone here on the CB forums!
    +1 ha ah ha
    10-19-10 10:20 PM
    Check out the HTC Theme in the Themes Forum. It gets rid of all the useless tabs but still gives you the option to keep up to 12 icons on the home screen.

What OS are you currently running? There should be no reason your cheek is pressing any keys on the phone unless the proximity sensor is eff'd up. And I'd suggest maybe turning down your screen sensitivity if your constantly swiping from the trackpad onto the screen..or turn up the trackpad sensitivity. There should be no reason that's happening other than you're getting all crazy with your thumb action lol.

Hahahah I do nothing of that sort! My touch sensitivity is at 80 and I have the newest version of OS 6 that AT&T released. I'm going to definitely check out the HTC theme! Thanks!

And to everyone asking if I want to trade... I'd want to trade, but find myself not able to because the 5 MP camera... which I love. Perfect for taking pics of text for exams :] and because the fact that the battery life is unbearable with all the activities I do on the BB such as twitter, internet, BBM, text, email which I do 24/7 making the BB Bold 9000 die in less that 4-6 hours. Idk if I just had a faulty battery, but I got my BB Bold 9000 replaced 4 times! and all of them had terrible battery life. I hear heavy BBM + twitter + internet users have horrible battery life.

I wouldnt want to trade for the 9000, I'd want to trade for the 9780 because the camera. BUT... Im so discouraged because of the OS 6 interface. I feel like the 9700's OS 5 would fit perfectly on the 9780s.... I hope so. :/ I feel like the 9780 should have been the Blackberry Magnum/Dakota/Essex. The only "plus" in the 9780 is the OS 6 (which really isnt a plus) and the camera. #Fail

PS. For all those saying I'll get used to it... I've had the phone for about a month now. :/ and still find myself yearning for OS 5... or EVEN THE CRAPPY 4.6 LOL.
    10-19-10 11:09 PM
    Oh might I add... The keyboard is smaller than the BB Bold 9000... I am an insanely fast typer and adjust to different keyboards fast, but I found myself clicking ALT + Delete/Enter so many times it's so frustrating! I type out these long messages and then I click ALT + Delete and it deletes EVERYTHING. -_-... Never had this issue with my BB Bold 9000.
    10-19-10 11:12 PM
    If you'd picked up the 9000 when it was first released, you'd probably not be a crackberry addict today. When it first came out, the first few builds of the os were less than ideal. I remember it crashing every day, and the wait logo popped up often etc..

With regards to the sluggishness, my first suggestion is to make sure you have OS 6.0.0.246, if not upgrade. If you are on 246, wipe and reload, and don't install any apps, long enough to confirm that it's not slow.

As for the squeaky case, try a different case. I used to use the silicone case on my bold, but, I just use a zagg sheild for my screen on this one, but I don't drop my berries.

Themes are starting to roll out and you might find one you like more than the original, or better yet, go get the tools to make your own theme.

I wouldn't expect any difference in BBM on the next model release, any updates would be available for the torch.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest hanging in there with the torch, and try not to drop it...
    10-19-10 11:13 PM
    I hate At&t but I stopped by to play with the Torch fo like an hour or more and must say I f@#�in love the Torch. Just got a Bold 9650 the other day put the leaked OS 6 on it and love it too. Yeah all the home screens are bs just give me folders and I'm good ther than that I love it oh and for some reason this o after all this I can't deleteidk... Lol
    10-20-10 12:44 AM
    i have a brand new 9700 that i'd love to trade for a brand new torch
    10-20-10 02:35 AM
    Did you upgrade your OS to .246? It's much better than .141. As for those views...try looking at themes. A lot of them get rid of those views.

Personally the Torch on .246 is just fine and I love the stock theme. I hope you get this sorted out and figure out what you want to do. Good luck!
    10-20-10 02:52 AM
    Also... how did Blackberry skip over the whole front facing camera that every phone seems to have? the 9780 should have been shipped with a front facing camera at the least ... SMH. I think front facing cameras will be standard in future phone models with the iPhone's revolutionary facetime app and such.
    Front facing cameras have been in phones for years, the Nokia N95 had one and so did the Sony Ericsson w800, and there are more I just owned those two.

Do many people actually use facetime? I dont know, i always thought they tried to introduce video calling years ago and it never really took off. Apple just took the idea of the front facing camera and sold it as if it was an incredible new idea noone had ever though of!
    10-20-10 03:42 AM
    op. after reading all ur comments here on this post-- what u want is a 9700.
    -more than capable
    camera (even with the fewer mpix)
    -ptobably the best batt life in the business
    -good old bold style keyboard
    -no memory leak issues like the 9000, hence no crashes or freeze ups.
    -opera or bolt solves the sh!tty browser issue

10-20-10 05:36 AM
    Sounds like a spoiled little brat to me. "i cant have what i want so someone fix it for me". Did you not play with the phone when you went to pick it up so you would know you hated all those things to begin with? Or was it just the "wow" and "new" factor that made up your mind on your purchase?

As far as the tabs on the homescreen, absolutely redundant and ********. A theme would fix that issue. Typical apple fashion roll out something that was done years ago and call it new so everyone goes gaga over it... roflmao
    10-20-10 05:49 AM
171 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD