Yes, I was waiting for the 9900. But I had the money in the bank and I was thinking:
    I really always wanted the Torch from the moment it was announced to when I drove to the AT+T store daily to play with it. When I literally started making themes for my OS5 9700 to make it look like BB6.

The 9900 looks definitely awesome, but it would have been a compromise from the start. I just love the Torch form factor.

Then I got a great deal on a new Torch and went for it! I am really please with my purchase is all I can say.

The good:

- typing on the Torch is actually more comfortable than on my Bold. The keys are nice and clickey and holding it adds a nice weight on the top that make it very comfortable to hold and type.

- the screen is fantastic. Yes the resolution is not very high, but it doesn't really matter in every day use and the QUALITY of my screen is outstanding. It's much brighter than on my ipod and I can actually use it all day and still have battery left. Hurray!

- blackberry 6. Wow. It's really obvious that it is optimized for Touch. The trays are SO FUNTIONAL on a touch screen. I didn't hate them my bold (annoying overscrolling of course), but it's very intuitive and useful on the Torch. The whole OS with it's kinetic scrolling and fluent action is really a joy.
    You don't wanna go back to non-touch after that.

- I do a lot of browsing on my phone and it's good to have that larger screen. But it's actually a better communication device, too. Having a touch screen actually makes the drop-down notification menue usefull, one touch of the finger and you're there. Very nice.

The bad:

- the device was very fast when I first got with version .523 (I think). Then I upgraded to .600 and it started to bog down. Browser was almost unusable, it actually gave me a 'your page is too large to load' error and crashed.
    But it seems like any Bb Os all that is needed is a couple of reboots. Now it's blazing fast again and I can have 5 tabs with ad-heavy websites open with no problem. Weird.

- the keyboard sometimes sounds like there is foil underneath it (which I bet there is) but it's kinda cheap-sounding.
    This , too went away after some heavy usage.

Should I have waited for the 9810? Maybe. Would have I have paid as little as I did for the 9800 for it? No.
    Therefore, I am quite happy with "last year's phone"

Now I can start making Torch themes
    08-10-11 01:08 PM
    That's awesome! Especially if you got a good deal. I got mine in March for $30 with a 2 year contact. I knew nothing about it but it was the only blackberry they had a Costco and I had my mind made up that I wanted a blackberry. Then I started learning about it and coming here a lot and playing with it and I was like Wow, I got an awesome phone!! The guy even tried to steer me away to something else for some reason so I went home doubting myself but the next day I went back and got it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 02:23 PM
    It is always nice to hear about someone enjoying their Torch. I've had mine since October and it is still rockin'! With that being said, I am surprised you didn't wait a few days for the new 9810. Think of this: liquid graphics, able to customize your tabs, 40% faster processor and a higher resolution screen to name just a few of the improvements.

You might want to consider scoping one out at you ATT store. If I remember correctly, you can return the Torch within 31 days and get the Torch 2 for just a few dollars (okay, maybe more than a few dollars) more.
    08-10-11 03:00 PM
    Well, actually I got it off contract, which was important to me. I might be leaving the country in a year and study abroad and don't wanna get a cancellation fee (and yes, my contract states that leaving the country is no longer a reason to waive the fee)
    08-10-11 03:19 PM
    Even though I LOVE my Torch, I am now hooked on blackberry and I want the new Bold BAD. Not willing to pay the price though since I'm only 5 months in. :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    atlkid891 likes this.
    08-10-11 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD