Ok after reading many of these threads, I did some testing and decided after responding in one thread to just create my own. I would strongly suggest others do the same especially on a new OS. Obviously RIM is still tweaking a bit and there are no instructions to read on how this stuff works yet.

The notification area from what I can tell is tied to only 3 places. The calendar, missed calls and Message folder delivery. This is the new Today function in OS6.

Many before would turn off message folder delivery for everything but PIN messaging. Now if you do that only icon notifications will be seen i.e. no entries down in the Today window. Now if you set TXT, VVM, email, missed calls via the call log options and BBM to go there as well. You will see icons and text entires in the Today area.

Missed calls are a bit special. If they are not going to the message folder, they have to be cleared manually from the notification area by clicking on the individual text entries or by drilling down through each missed call in the call log. Just displaying missed calls after missing a call when prompted will not clear these entries from the notification Today area but will clear the icons.

Each category has a 3 entry limit as on 214. That means if nothing else is triggering, only the 3 calendar entries are seen.

From what I have tested, twitter and fb will also deliver to the notification text area if those apps set to do so via their internal options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 09-10-10 at 08:09 AM.
    09-10-10 08:06 AM
    That's interesting - I didn't even know you could clear missed calls from the notifications.

I don't have missed calls going to my messages folder but you still get a notification icon when you miss a call - once you clear it, you'd think it would clear the item in the notification list as well but it doesn't.

I guess for now I'll put missed calls in my messages folder so I can mark them as read and clear the notification list easily. Now all I see are the 3 calendar entries and a bunch of free space so I wish even more than I could tell it to display more!
    09-10-10 09:30 AM
    interesting
    09-11-10 12:14 PM
    Is there a way to also add updates from other applications to the notifications area? For instance, it'd be cool to see the current weather conditions.
    10-10-10 05:36 PM
    Berryweather allows the current temperature on the notification bar through its own options.
    10-10-10 06:13 PM
    Funny how people are different. I can't stand things having access to my notification area except what I want. I had accuweather app on my torch and there was always a thermometer in my notification area with the temp but the temp was also listed on the home screen icon. Could not keep the app from accessing my notification area. At least with some other apps when you click the notification bar it took you there to the reason for the notification, not the case with accuweather alerts (storms and stuff) finally had to delete app to save sanity. Notification area must be clean! Would love info if anyone knows how to control what can get in the notification area.
    06-20-11 10:27 AM
    That is app dependant for example BerryWeather has features to turn all of that off. And wow, what an old thread!
    06-20-11 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD