Just wondering. Went to AT&T store to check it out today. Actually a very nice phone. Not nearly as bad as the reviews. But I asked the guy I usually deal with if he had one and he said he had 12 hasn't sold one yet. Pretty busy store in Dallas, TX. Not that it matters all that much. But I figure RIM is really depending on sales of this device to maintain its lead in total (enterprise/consumer) smartphone sales.
    08-14-10 09:39 PM
    it has sold eleventy million so far. :P

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/cn...esting-513451/

this thread might give you some insight... the true extent will be seen in a few months time. One things for sure, RIM won't be disappearing anytime soon if torch fails. I actually think its a remarkable device and can't wait for it to start shipping overseas
    08-15-10 12:37 AM
    My local store sold out. Of 2 phones. Haha
    08-15-10 02:38 AM
    If it doesn't sell out they should release it to more carriers. Who would choose the torch if there's an iPhone 4, captivate, and palm pre plus to choose from on att?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 02:44 AM
    I think you should be able to choose whatever phone you want and not have it be provider-specific. This is one of the biggest irritants in all of cell-phone-land for me. I can't go get a Torch because I have Verizon. But on the other hand, maybe when they release Storm3 on Verizon (which I'm guessing is currently the Torch for ATT) they will have worked out bugs found in the Torch.
    08-15-10 02:58 AM
    Who would choose the torch if there's an iPhone 4, captivate, and palm pre plus to choose from on att?

My husband and me! And my sister....and my neighbour...and a couple of friends in California.....and my trainer in VA.....that's who I know of so far.....

not everyone in the universe loves robots and apples....
    08-15-10 06:47 AM
    im in canada and yesterday i was at the mall at the bellmobility store five people in line and they were all buying blackberrys 3 were buying the nerw 9300 and 2 were buying the 9700 no one was buying the galaxy or any other android . o ya the iphone you didnt even no it exisited in the store no display model just a couple posters even if you wanted one you couldnt get one. thats the thing about blackberry they make a different type of phone for everyone. the 9300 might be lowend but if you want the new os6 then not badf for the price of the phone. the blackberry6 is suppost to run on it once its released
    08-15-10 07:23 AM
    when i made it to the at&t store at 6pm thursday, the rep told me they had already sold 10. to give some idea, that store is one of 3 at&t corporate stores and one authorized retailer within a 2 mile radius.

i would guess online sales might be a bit more robust considering certain "premier" customers had $99 upgrade offers.
    08-15-10 07:31 AM
    My husband and me! And my sister....and my neighbour...and a couple of friends in California.....and my trainer in VA.....that's who I know of so far.....
    Count me in here, too. There are those that love Apple products and would never do the PC thing. I was born & raised on a PC. I finally decided about 3yrs ago to give in and find out what all the iMac hype was about. Spent a fortune on a new iMac and found it to be one of the single biggest most expensive mistake of my life. I tried for 10 months and really tried to love it. Heck, I would settled for simple like ... but couldn't get even that far. I did love their screen quality and the style of the iMac hardware but that's the best I can do for liking it.

Needless to say, I'm not about to spend money on an iPhone after that experience.
    08-15-10 08:14 AM
    The store I purchased mine from had sold 18 by 2PM on Thursday when I bought mine. It is one of 3 corporate stores in my town and the one that has the least "traffic".
    08-15-10 08:22 AM
    Who would choose the torch if there's an iPhone 4, captivate, and palm pre plus to choose from on att?
    I chose the Torch over the other 3 without hesitation. Also my friend who has (and hates) the iPhone 3GS picked up my Torch yesterday, looked at it, slid it open, looked at it for another 5 seconds and said "I'm getting one."
    08-15-10 08:33 AM
    A co-worker who has gone through 4 iphones picked up a Torch on Thursday. I also played with the Captivate and the iphone before choosing the Torch. Don't let anyone fool you, Androids "lag" too at times.
    08-15-10 08:46 AM
    Just wondering. Went to AT&T store to check it out today. Actually a very nice phone. Not nearly as bad as the reviews. But I asked the guy I usually deal with if he had one and he said he had 12 hasn't sold one yet. Pretty busy store in Dallas, TX. Not that it matters all that much. But I figure RIM is really depending on sales of this device to maintain its lead in total (enterprise/consumer) smartphone sales.
    I was in a store in Mooresville, NC (a little town north of Charlotte) to get my Torch. I was there about an hour on Thursday morning and I saw them sell 4, including mine.
    08-15-10 08:49 AM
    I believe it is selling well, I feel though they need to put out a few more commercials besides the standard one they have been playing. Advertising is everything!
    08-15-10 09:13 AM
    you guys got to remember alot of the corporate ones where delivered direct
    08-15-10 09:18 AM
    markeing for the Torch is INFERIOR to the iphone 4.
    4 people in our household bought/upgraded last thurs.
    3 people in my work upgraded as well.
    and so far everyone is happy.
    08-15-10 09:18 AM
    I chose the Torch over the other 3 without hesitation. Also my friend who has (and hates) the iPhone 3GS picked up my Torch yesterday, looked at it, slid it open, looked at it for another 5 seconds and said "I'm getting one."
    LOL nice, everytime someone I know which is a non-BB user sees my Curve they think it's the best form factor phone they've seen and held (it really is, over the damn old Motorola and Nokia candybar smartphones). over 90% of my contacts are BB users, and I don't know anyone with an iPhone 4 yet (a couple with 3G/3GS) and a couple with Androids or some other brand otherwise BB is way more common where I am. I've had people look at my Android, the Android seems to have a steeper learning curve for those non-tech savvy people.

When I upgrade to the 9780, I think that'll be like riding up to the playground on a shiny new tricycle, I'm going to show it to people.
    08-15-10 09:50 AM
    Perhaps its not selling because it is going against the iPhone 4. I mean, really, what phone can COMPETE (one on one) against the iPhone. Its nearly at 4 million iPhones sold since June 23rd! NO ONE can compete. Its pretty much unstoppable. I can only imagine if the iPhone was on ALL carriers. It'd be around 8 million sold in TWO months. WOW!
    08-15-10 10:44 AM
    Perhaps its not selling because it is going against the iPhone 4. I mean, really, what phone can COMPETE (one on one) against the iPhone. Its nearly at 4 million iPhones sold since June 23rd! NO ONE can compete. Its pretty much unstoppable. I can only imagine if the iPhone was on ALL carriers. It'd be around 8 million sold in TWO months. WOW!
    It's not so much that it's "unstoppable", but rather the fact that Apple only releases one IPhone per year. When it does finally come out, it's big news. Not to mention, the IPhone 4 is a pretty big step up from 3GS, despite the issues.

RIM is the opposite. They release a lot of models per year, most being simple refreshes and updates. When they introduce a new phone, they just don't attract as much attention.

Both ways work. Apple's way causes a spike in sales when that "omg new iphone" is released.

08-15-10 11:16 AM
    Who's says it not selling if you call some stores they have already sold out don't believe every thing you hear
    08-15-10 11:16 AM
    Androids "lag" too at times.
    Bingo! How good a phone works is also at least partially dependent on the provider. For example, if you're trying to run a 4G capable phone on a 3G or less network ... uh yeah .. me thinks you're gonna have issues.
    08-16-10 01:12 AM
    Uh, isn't it little bit early to make determination as to whether or not the phone is selling? It only came out 2-3 days ago. And it sounds like it IS anyway. I would NOT be one of the 4 million or the 8 million no matter how good that phone is. My experience with anything Apple/Mac is done, over fineee! I learned my lesson there.
    Last edited by debsbb; 08-16-10 at 01:20 AM.
    08-16-10 01:16 AM
    It's not so much that it's "unstoppable", but rather the fact that Apple only releases one IPhone per year. When it does finally come out, it's big news. Not to mention, the IPhone 4 is a pretty big step up from 3GS, despite the issues.
    It seems like anything Apple does is always huge news. Maybe at least partially because they don't have a huge product line. I think their iPhone probably makes a LOT of people happy. I agree, when you only have one product it's going to make news when it makes an entrance into the intended market. Let's not forget it's not perfect either, there's that little issue w/the antenna, remember?
    08-16-10 01:26 AM

not everyone in the universe loves robots and apples....
    Go ahead and count me too, this is something I've been waiting on RIM to put out for a while now. About damn time. It still has a ways to go to catch up but it's an ok start

08-16-10 01:38 AM
    It seems like anything Apple does is always huge news. Maybe at least partially because they don't have a huge product line. I think their iPhone probably makes a LOT of people happy. I agree, when you only have one product it's going to make news when it makes an entrance into the intended market. Let's not forget it's not perfect either, there's that little issue w/the antenna, remember?
    Heh. Who can forget that debacle... That's why I said, "despite the issues".
    08-16-10 01:47 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD