I don't understand this comment?

Would you prefer to have no service over not having 3G?

Basically the way ATT set the device up is so it prefers 3G but will fall back to 2G when 3G is not available.
    The reason it is different in Canada is because Bell and Telus do not even have 2G (EDGE) networks. They only have HSPA+ or CDMA (which would not work for the 9800).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 12:42 PM
    The reason it is different in Canada is because Bell and Telus do not even have 2G (EDGE) networks. They only have HSPA+ or CDMA (which would not work for the 9800).

I know why it's different in Canada.

I wasn't referring to why it's that way for Canadians but rather why an ATT customer would want it to be 3G only.
    01-10-11 12:47 PM
    I know why it's different in Canada.

I wasn't referring to why it's that way for Canadians but rather why an ATT customer would want it to be 3G only.
    I quoted your post, even though I wasn't directly addressing you. I noticed an earlier post mentioning the 3G only option in Canada, not just overseas. I believe O2 in the UK also is HSPA+ only. (It could be a different UK carrier, but I know there is one that does not offer 2G. )

I agree with you. 2G coverage is better than no coverage at all.

01-10-11 12:52 PM
    I don't understand this comment?

Would you prefer to have no service over not having 3G?

Basically the way ATT set the device up is so it prefers 3G but will fall back to 2G when 3G is not available.

I understand that, but 2G sucks in my area for data(and I use data more than voice so speed is important), besides, when I have it set for 2G and 3G, for some reason my phone seems to favor EDGE even when there is 3G available (I've proven this now that I've had 2G disabled with no coverage problems)

I can always reenable 2G if i woud ever hit a deadzone. Thats why i wish there was a quicker way, or just a way to permanently enable the engineering screen.
    Last edited by bookemdano; 01-10-11 at 12:58 PM.
    01-10-11 12:54 PM
    Well I have an AT&T Torch but I don't use it nor live in the US. My country is small and its 3G coverage kinda covers everywhere, unless I'm really deep in the building underground :/ Thats why I wanted to disable 2G, as sometimes it would switch to 2G for no apparent reason. Ever since I've disabled switching to 2G, I've not noticed any deadspots or zones where I have no 3G coverage.
    01-10-11 06:28 PM

I have all 3 options as well and i'm on the Rogers network which means its the same as ATT except the coverage maps. So this adding it or removing it is carrier dependant I believe.

01-10-11 06:40 PM
    How to get to the engineering screen?

04-13-11 03:17 PM
    Nevermind I got it

04-13-11 03:42 PM
    I live in the Philippines & my gf has 9800 from AT&T unlocked. I did the engineering, and while it stays on 3G & life is good - it reverts to EDGE/GPRS after a reboot. How can I make sure it is for 30 days atleast?

Thanks! (sorry for bringing this old thread)
    04-06-12 05:24 AM
    Make sure its on 2G&3G in the mobile network options.
    Then on the engineering screen follow:
    Mobile network engineering screens
    PLMN selection
    Press the menu key and select "Disable RAT_GERAN".
    That will disable 2G and leave 3G only.

Hi guys,, does anyone know if we still could do the same with 9900? with OS7's Engineering screen?
    04-18-12 12:51 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD