Just talked to my friend who has worked at my local AT&T store for 5+ years...She sold my my first BB 3-4 years ago....as of today, Aug 3rd, she STILL hasnt heard ANYTHING about the Torch. Asked her a few days about it, and she hadnt heard anything (her store doesnt have a monolith)...

just texted her "sooo..the new BB Torch will be released August 12th...surely youve heard by NOW??"

Her response "Lol. We haven't."

Me: "Well WTF....let me know when you do"

Her: "I will. They rarely tell us anything. Lol. I find out stuff from Facebook and twitter. I'll keep an eye out though."

How is this possible?!?!?!
    08-03-10 10:58 AM
    Umm. It was announced an hour ago.
    They (RIM & ATT) have been trying to keep this launch a secret until the big 11am announcement.
    08-03-10 11:00 AM
    they will know soon... just not soon enough for our liking haha
    08-03-10 11:01 AM
    Right, but I find it strange that the employees havent been told ANYTHING about a new device rolling out...I mean, officially it was just announced, but youd think the stores would know SOMETHING...
    08-03-10 11:04 AM
    I don't find it strange at all. That's how information gets leaked. Tell a handful of employees in an AT&T store... they tell their friends... and/or someone wants to be a bigshot and posts the info on the internet.
    08-03-10 11:08 AM
    I guess Im just ancy....lol....gotta have it
    08-03-10 11:12 AM
    Right, but I find it strange that the employees havent been told ANYTHING about a new device rolling out...I mean, officially it was just announced, but youd think the stores would know SOMETHING...
    why would you expect that? AT&T store employees know less about upcoming devices than the average engadget/gizmodo/crackberry reader does.
    08-03-10 11:14 AM
    Carrier employees are told NOTHING, EVER.

Any time you hear anything from a rep about a phone that isn't out yet means that they got the information from 3rd party sources.
    08-03-10 12:34 PM
    I just called and spoke to a respresentative and she knows nothing either. smh. :-/
    08-03-10 12:47 PM
    Thread fail.
    08-03-10 01:00 PM
    I stopped at my local store and they knew nothing about it. They will when I am standing there at 10:00 on the 12th.
    08-03-10 01:07 PM
    even APPLE employees and their geniuses don't know IN ADVANCE..
    08-03-10 01:15 PM
    I stopped at my local store and they knew nothing about it. They will when I am standing there at 10:00 on the 12th.
    I highly doubt you need to line up for this.
    08-03-10 01:24 PM
    Thread fail.
    Okey dokey pi guy, Im not a 24/365 crackberry guy, so I didnt realize stores dont get ANY info before a new device is rolling out...

scuuuuuse me for bein ignorant....lmao
    08-03-10 01:51 PM
    Okey dokey pi guy, Im not a 24/365 crackberry guy, so I didnt realize stores dont get ANY info before a new device is rolling out...

well i mean, you friend told you herself, and you're still in disbelief =P

Her: "I will. They rarely tell us anything. Lol. I find out stuff from Facebook and twitter. I'll keep an eye out though."

P.S. that sounds like she's pretty apathetic to what you're asking, and the conversation in general
    08-03-10 01:53 PM
    well i mean, you friend told you herself, and you're still in disbelief =P

P.S. that sounds like she's pretty apathetic to what you're asking, and the conversation in general
    Fair enough...lol...she is at the beach today, so Im sure her mind isnt on work right now
    08-03-10 01:55 PM
    You must not undersand that the sales people at AT&T are not nuts like you and I. They are trying to make a living opening new lines. They will get a 1/2 hour speil on the 9800 on 8-12-2010.

These people are the last to know.
    08-03-10 01:57 PM
    You must not undersand that the sales people at AT&T are not nuts like you and I. They are trying to make a living opening new lines. They will get a 1/2 hour speil on the 9800 on 8-12-2010.

These people are the last to know.
    I do now. lol
    08-03-10 01:59 PM

You don't need to be a 24/365 cb guy to realize phone sales people do not know whats up and coming, any more than the average cb person knows.

But all good. Still a thread fail tho lol.
    08-03-10 02:02 PM
    You don't need to be a 24/365 cb guy to realize phone sales people do not know whats up and coming, any more than the average cb person knows.

But all good. Still a thread fail tho lol.
    I can live with that
    08-03-10 02:05 PM
    thats not surprising. they are usually not well informed.
    08-03-10 02:05 PM
    Same with me...Stopped at a store and the guy had no clue. Was very unexcited about as well. That is where I see a major problem. There is no hoopla over this. Look at the local and national news when iPhone 4 came out. The Today show had reporters broadcasting live outside the stores. Look at the Evo the 2nd hottest phone and again all over the national news. Lets see if there is any national hoopla over the 9800? I have used BB for 10yrs (current 9630) and have been a die hard. But I want a phone that will make me want to keep it longer than 6-9mos. I have always told my sales team...Your customers perception is your reality! Right now the perception is RIM has boring corporate phones with no fun factor. Not slamming BB, but will this have the Wow factor the Evo has or the new Samsung Galaxy S?
    08-03-10 02:16 PM
    I took my Storm 1 in to a Verizon store months after it was released and the store employee(been there a long time) didn't know how to move an icon on my screen(very basic Storm function). He inadvertantly messed up an icon and couldn't get it set back where it was and asked me to do it.
    They don't know SHHHHHEEEEIIIIIITTT!
    08-03-10 02:50 PM
    Yeah and the best part about it is that i am sure her store had one of those huge blue monoliths in it! :-P
    08-03-10 02:52 PM
    Not surprising at all considering the fact that they sell more than just BlackBerries.
    08-03-10 02:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD