Our IT manager will not allow email to be pushed to a personal BB, only company ones, and they are 8330s. I would love to use my torch for work. His reasoning is that personal BBs put the network at risk for viruses and such. Is he right? Is there anything I could do to make my torch safer? By the way, we don't have BES. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Suffering with the old curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 06:38 PM
    Sorry, the smart as* in me is showing.

I don't see why the IT would worry about viruses and such since BlackBerrys don't get viruses. There are a few posts that I have read that the forum gurus state viruses don't attack BBs.
    Last edited by ghostryder12; 04-11-11 at 06:49 PM.
    04-11-11 06:46 PM
    You can activate your 9800 on the company BES and it will in no way be different than the 8300 on BES assuming the same IT Policy gets pushed. I don't know what your IT admin is telling you, but it is simply NOT true.
    04-11-11 07:04 PM
    If you don't have BES, how is he pushing mail out?
    04-11-11 07:14 PM
    Our IT manager will not allow email to be pushed to a personal BB, only company ones, and they are 8330s. I would love to use my torch for work. His reasoning is that personal BBs put the network at risk for viruses and such. Is he right? Is there anything I could do to make my torch safer? By the way, we don't have BES. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Suffering with the old curve.

If your Torch is not on BES then you can activate you email by going to the Email Setup. Just hit the Setup icon in the Menu and select Email Accounts.

04-11-11 07:21 PM
    Ask to have your work email forward to your personal email address
    Your not connected to BES, which in your boss's mind would "prevent" viruses etc... and you won't be restricted by IT policies.
    Only catch is when you reply it will not come from your work email address.
    04-11-11 07:30 PM
    Sorry, the smart as* in me is showing.

I don't see why the IT would worry about viruses and such since BlackBerrys don't get viruses. There are a few posts that I have read that the forum gurus state viruses don't attack BBs.
    That is what I thought, but this fellow has every one at work (including my boss) convinced that personal email and work email on the same BB is dangerous. Any idea where I could get some "official" articles to prove this? Maybe if I can prove it to my boss, I could drag them out of the stone age.

04-11-11 09:12 PM
    I have had the same issues with my company, on their BES...the only workaround I found was I got push email on my iphone cause the company has outlook web access as well.. You could try setting up your account as OWA through the email set-up, if your company offers OWA. Didn't work for me, somehow it knew I was trying it on a bb and refused the connection...

04-11-11 09:24 PM
    That is what I thought, but this fellow has every one at work (including my boss) convinced that personal email and work email on the same BB is dangerous. Any idea where I could get some "official" articles to prove this? Maybe if I can prove it to my boss, I could drag them out of the stone age.

Any email received on BlackBerry is routed through BlackBerry Servers which have virus protection built in. As a matter of fact, almost everything you do using a BlackBerry goes through their servers. That's why they don't get viruses.

They will need to contact BlackBerry to get their issues resolved. Send them here first to read about BB and small businesses. Then here to contact their business section, paying attention to the Corporate administrators section.
    04-11-11 10:04 PM

Get them on the phone with your wireless provider and have them tell your boss that what they think is true is a load of crap. That's my thought anyway.
    04-12-11 08:23 PM
    probably using old outdated version of BES. Usually compatibility with OS 6 difficult. For instance the IT policy that is in every one of those 8330's cannot be translated easily to the torch. This is why BB's are popular still in Enterprise. Easy control over one type of device. Honestly that's why iPhones are getting so popular. One device set IT policy.
    04-12-11 08:51 PM
    probably using old outdated version of BES. Usually compatibility with OS 6 difficult. For instance the IT policy that is in every one of those 8330's cannot be translated easily to the torch. This is why BB's are popular still in Enterprise. Easy control over one type of device. Honestly that's why iPhones are getting so popular. One device set IT policy.
    The OP says that the company is not using BES. The management doesn't understand that everything done on a BB goes through RIM servers first before going out to its destination, no matter who the carrier is. That's why BBs don't get viruses.
    04-12-11 08:56 PM
    A very simple solution for me is to go creste a yahoo email then give your email to everyone concerned. What mail daemon do yall use? Couldn't you use to beable to foward email with DM?

04-12-11 10:12 PM
    the easy answer is, turn in the receipt for your Torch and have them pay for it, then it's a company BB and not a personal one.
    04-13-11 09:25 AM
    Heck, at the very beginning of this I told them "please let ME pay to get a better phone"...that was before the IT guy even got me the curve. Can you say control freak? I will keep searching for official articles explaining how bullet-proof RIM's system is...that is its biggest selling feature - we all know this. Thanks for all the tips everyone.
    04-13-11 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD