I don't think that its an issue of everyone not tightening the 6 screws lol. i noticed that on mine they weren't tight but prolly had worked themselves loose through usage. when i first got my torch the screen was rock solid.. now after 3 or so weeks of constant use it was getting wobbly. So i figured well hey maybe they just work themselves looses from use. After seeing the video my guess was prolly correct as there's no thread locker on the screws.. best guess they just work loose.. maybe not who know but i do know mines tight again and well see if it causes any issues over time.

EDIT:

the screws weren't super loose just a 1/4 a turn or so was all it took to tighten the screen up again.

The 5 or so Torches I personally handled were all brand new, no way the screws loosened from use. My GUESS is that BB's assembly instructions warn against overtightening. That would explain why there is variation, but most have a tiny amount of play. Maybe BB felt some "give" was desirable, maybe too tight and the slider is stiff, who knows, but I'm nearly certain this is not a mfg error and that the screws didn't suddenly come loose in so many new units (maybe they did in your case). All guess work.
    09-23-10 09:22 PM
    who knows for sure what happens in manufacturing... im sure there's some "play" that's allowable in manufacturing and all slide phones do have some.. but i think what most people are describing isnt normal intolerance play in the screen but actual wobbly and for the most part is simply loose screws... maybe is ...maybe not.. and i didn't torque on the screws just made them snug. what u state is prolly true "RIM's assembly instructions prolly warn against over tightening" hence why some are more "wobbly" then other as each assembler just makes them snug to his or her specs( i would be curious as to whether there's a torque spec on theses screws in assembly or not). This would explain why some are looser then others.

but i would say this is a better fix then tape in the slider or foam stuffed in between the 2

roflmao
    Last edited by homer1475; 09-23-10 at 09:33 PM.
    09-23-10 09:27 PM
    on a side note i did notice that if i torqued on the screws it did make the slider not quite as smooth and there was an actual space i could see through between the the screen and k/b/bottom section when the phone was closed. i simply loosened them till they were just "snug" and all was good again ... slider was smooth and the screen didn't "wobble".

now after all making all these posts and thinking back to actually doing it i wonder if a small drop of locktite would stop the screws from loosening? anyone's thoughts on that?
    i guess I'll wait another couple weeks to see if the screen gets wobbly again before i try it.
    09-23-10 09:40 PM
    Who has the balls to try this out. Report back if you do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-10 09:55 PM
    Also if we remove that blue piece are we pretty much screwed on warranty claims

09-23-10 09:57 PM
    I think this may have been mentioned in another post, but since the majority of you guys probably use a case on your phone, the AGF-GRT case stopped the minor screen wobble I had. I used to have the otterbox case, but the front bezel came off too easily, and didn't help the wobble - in fact, it probably caused it to become worse.

If you don't use a case, then a drop of loctite or teflon paste should help keep those screws tight. I don't have any plans of taking my phone apart, since it's still new, and the above case hides "cures" this issue (at least while it's on the phone).

-Ryan
    09-23-10 10:47 PM
    I think this may have been mentioned in another post, but since the majority of you guys probably use a case on your phone, the AGF-GRT case stopped the minor screen wobble I had. I used to have the otterbox case, but the front bezel came off too easily, and didn't help the wobble - in fact, it probably caused it to become worse.

If you don't use a case, then a drop of loctite or teflon paste should help keep those screws tight. I don't have any plans of taking my phone apart, since it's still new, and the above case hides "cures" this issue (at least while it's on the phone).

-Ryan
    Sounds alot like antennagate with an iphone....

"here just put this case on it and it will stop doing that"

I personally was looking for more of a perm fix and hate a bulky case. just a screen protector from GA is all i need on my phone.
    09-24-10 06:26 AM
    Tightening the 6 screws made no difference to my screen. The wobble that was there is still there.
    09-24-10 10:38 AM
    The six on mine were t4.

i watched that video of the teardown.. i can say with all honesty that simply removing the bezel and battery holder parts, then tightening the 6 screws on the side under the sticker tightens the screen up and gets rid of the wobble. As stated in the video u need a t3 and a t6 screwdriver, the bezel and battery holder use the t6 while the screen assembly uses the t3. Had to drive around to a few stores to finally find the t3 one, but it defiantly fixes the screen "wobble"
    09-24-10 10:40 AM
    I now know why the 6 screws make no difference, all they do is hold the entire mechanism in place, the two sides of the slider are joined by "rivets" that slide in a channel. the only way I see to tighten this up would be to "hammer" (tap) the rivets to create a tighter seal between the two halves of the slider.

Imagine the chain on a door where the "rivet" end of the chain slides into the channel attached to the door frame, if you hammer the "rivet" down it will tighten the gap. Same concept with the slider.
    09-24-10 11:01 AM
    I now know why the 6 screws make no difference, all they do is hold the entire mechanism in place, the two sides of the slider are joined by "rivets" that slide in a channel. the only way I see to tighten this up would be to "hammer" (tap) the rivets to create a tighter seal between the two halves of the slider.

Imagine the chain on a door where the "rivet" end of the chain slides into the channel attached to the door frame, if you hammer the "rivet" down it will tighten the gap. Same concept with the slider.
    This is dissapointing. I was really hoping those six screws would fix the issue..i even went out looking for a stupid torx smaller than t4.
    09-24-10 02:50 PM
    Going to try this tomorrow, I'll report back.
    09-25-10 02:21 AM
    A t4 actually works fine for those 6 screws. I'd imagine a t3 is a lose fit which would concern me as they're brass screws and the head would strip very easily.

On a side note. If warranty isn't a concern you can just peel up the sticker under the battery to access these 6 screws without taking the phone apart. You won't get the sticker back down properly tho I don't think.

This is dissapointing. I was really hoping those six screws would fix the issue..i even went out looking for a stupid torx smaller than t4.
    09-25-10 06:49 AM
    Does n e one have a link to the youtube video to disassemble? Ill give it a try, and I kinda want to change the housing so as soon as I see video and buy the right tool imma get down and dirty and have a nice white torch

09-25-10 07:05 AM
    Does n e one have a link to the youtube video to disassemble? Ill give it a try, and I kinda want to change the housing so as soon as I see video and buy the right tool imma get down and dirty and have a nice white torch

Looking forward to your feedback!!!! I too would like to attempt to tighten my screen just a tad. It's nothing extremely noticable now but I do think over the 4 wks I've had it there may be some loosening. I wouldn't try anything though until my yr is up with the warranty. But would love to see how many feel it has helped the wobble.
    09-25-10 07:38 AM
    Tried it, didn't help that much.
    09-26-10 04:41 AM
    Probably try unscrewing the T4, setting the thing a bit wider and then tightening the thing without too much torque. It seems like mine does the Oreo, to which a much too narrow hinge is attributable. Widening both hinges slightly might help, in my case. T4!
    09-26-10 05:53 AM
    I tightened the six screws and i have had some success. It's not perfect, but it's better.
    10-10-10 03:48 PM
    hmmm so even this isnt a proper fix for the wiggle... tempting to go and get mine replaced now
    10-12-10 07:34 AM
    Here you go..

thanks for sharing. only thing that it doesnt show is if the top bezel (where the lcd is) can be removed as in the silver bezel part or does the LCD, digitizer, trackpad and outer keyboard gets removed and is put into a new top bezel?

ive actually chipped the top right corner of it which is gonna **** me off eventually that will make me replace it. hehehe.

cnn only sells this BlackBerry Torch 9800 OEM upper bezel - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Cell Phone

so im guessing u just put whatevers from the top bezel into the replacement one. anyone sucessfully done this?
    10-20-10 04:05 AM
    The chrome/metal bezel around the top portion of the phone is one separate piece. I couldn't tell from that photo whether it was the entire back plate(which it looks like) or the bezel. I believe by the looks of the pic its both pieces.
    10-20-10 05:05 AM
    So the actual top part is 2 pieces u reckon? One jus the top chrome bezel and the other being the slider where it holds the lcd, etc?

Hard to tell with pics. If only someone has pulled it apart. I might order the top bezel and see if it is or not. Least I won't screw up my fone.

Luckily its a small 'chip' on the top right hand corner of it so I might jus get some touch up paint that u use on a car n touch it up to prevent it from chipping any more.

Always happens with me when I get a new phone. Always make a small chip/damage on em. Iphone 4 even has a small one after a few weeks. I've only had this for a few weeks too.

10-20-10 05:12 AM
    Help! I was trying to unscrew the torx screws from behind the sticker and accidently stripped one of the screws. Now its not coming out! Anybody know how to get it out??
    10-20-10 04:29 PM
    I followed his video to take the phone apart to tighten the screws. Overall it's not a bad process. The only thing that he doesn't mention was that on part of the silver bezel on the back of the phone above the camera and LED flash it is attached with an adhesive. So you kind of have to pull it a little bit to get the adhesive to let go.

The other thing is that I absolutely hate are the plastic tabs, because when you're pulling them apart I'm not sure if the snapping sound is them letting go or breaking off. In terms of the big back piece, I was able to get the sides off but I couldn't figure out how to get the top piece (the camera and LED flash) off. It was ok for me to leave that part on because I was still able to gain access to those 6 screws on the side to tighten the screen.

I noticed a BIG difference when I tightened the screws up. Before, mine was flopping all over the place when closed. If I were to push the Call or end call buttons when closed, you could physically feel the screen depressing a few mm back. After I tightened the screws, no more movement!

I know a lot of people have mentioned that tightening the screws would cause the slide to have more "friction", but I've actually noticed the opposite of that. When I tightened the screws, my slider feels a little bit more "snappy", as in you don't need to push the slider the whole way up, as soon as you get it to start to move it will go to either the open or close position. Before I had to push it the whole way up or down to open or close the screen.
    11-03-10 08:30 PM
    Newbie here of disasembling and i want to change the housing to a red one but im really scared that ill end up breaking my torch if i try. Any advice?
    11-06-10 10:17 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD