Anyone have any thoughts on when we might expect a higher resolution variant of the 9800? Most new androids and now iPhone 4 have all left the 480x360 res in the dust.... Time for RIM to step up the res... 9800 would I've been perfect opportunity. It will have lower pixel density than the 9700/9780... Kind of like the storm now... Looks crappy in comparison... They could have at least made it 480x640 (ie 2 9700 screens stacked)

Before getting a 9800 I think I'll wait to see if RIM may have something higher res coming in the Storm 3 or that horizontal slider that keeps getting rumored...
    07-31-10 07:58 AM
    According to the UAProf document for the 9800, the phone has a 360x480 resolution.

Source:
    http://www.blackberry.net/go/mobile/...9800/6.0.0.rdf
    07-31-10 01:01 PM
    dude, I know... just wondering when RIM will ever go beyond 360x480 (or 480x360... same diff, just portrait vs landscape)... they've been stuck with that low res for quite a while now (since 8900 released)... even 320x240 still on the 9300.... unbelievable!
    07-31-10 02:23 PM
    Anyone have any thoughts on when we might expect a higher resolution variant of the 9800? Most new androids and now iPhone 4 have all left the 480x360 res in the dust.... Time for RIM to step up the res... 9800 would I've been perfect opportunity. It will have lower pixel density than the 9700/9780... Kind of like the storm now... Looks crappy in comparison... They could have at least made it 480x640 (ie 2 9700 screens stacked)

Before getting a 9800 I think I'll wait to see if RIM may have something higher res coming in the Storm 3 or that horizontal slider that keeps getting rumored...
    The hardware is the reason I decided not to upgrade my 9000 to the 9800 and went with the Moto X instead. I don't think I'd be happy using already outdated hardware for the next 2 years...especially on a phone that is supposed to be high end.
    07-31-10 02:23 PM
    I'm sure they'll eventually move to higher resolutions but actually sticking with average ones just to save battery life. Higher resolution = more GPU power required.
    07-31-10 02:34 PM
    Personally, I'd take lower res for better battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 03:52 PM
    Exactly. You can't just throw on a higher resolution screen and hope it sells more without considering the disadvantages. That includes a slower, more sluggish OS and decreased battery life. It's just not worth the advantages (if any) for me.

Last edited by Masahiro; 07-31-10 at 08:09 PM.
    07-31-10 07:14 PM
    The hardware is the reason I decided not to upgrade my 9000 to the 9800 and went with the Moto X instead. I don't think I'd be happy using already outdated hardware for the next 2 years...especially on a phone that is supposed to be high end.
    No offense, but frankly that's a laughable reason to switch from a BB. Why did you even get a 9000 to begin with? Probably 99% of the people who get a BB could care less that it doesn't have the highest of the high end specs when it comes to screen resolution. That's because the difference is not exactly earthshaking. And we're not talking about HDTVs here.

07-31-10 07:31 PM
    RIM's CTO said recently that they're more interested in reducing the area of black space around a pixel than just increasing screen/resolution size.

Android devices like to push the limits but they are having major supply problems at only several hundred thousand units. RIM is selling 11 million devices a quarter. It's always a business decision.
    07-31-10 08:50 PM
    RIM has no reason to increase the resolution over 480x360 for the 2.4". The current Bold 9650 has 250 ppi, which is high to begin with. They have no need to go beyond that.

Apple's 330 ppi screen is one of their many gimmicks since the 3.5" is really too small to read anything without squinting. A high-res screen is pointless unless the screen size is higher too.

Resolution on the Storm needs to go up though. Right now it's only at measly 185 ppi.
    07-31-10 09:42 PM
    No offense, but frankly that's a laughable reason to switch from a BB. Why did you even get a 9000 to begin with? Probably 99% of the people who get a BB could care less that it doesn't have the highest of the high end specs when it comes to screen resolution. That's because the difference is not exactly earthshaking. And we're not talking about HDTVs here.

I got a 9000 because I didn't know better at the time and although I did post this in a thread regarding screen resolution, I was talking about hardware specs in general. Actually, the resolution is the least of the hardware specs I'm worried about. It's the memory and processor. Honestly, I'd be fine with the 9800 if I was sure it could handle streaming video and music well while using text programs (gtalk) or the web. My 9000 couldn't.

There are many things I liked about the 9000 and it worries me a little that I won't get the same experience on another platform. I'm willing to give it a try though.
    07-31-10 10:23 PM
    RIM has no reason to increase the resolution over 480x360 for the 2.4". The current Bold 9650 has 250 ppi, which is high to begin with. They have no need to go beyond that.

Apple's 330 ppi screen is one of their many gimmicks since the 3.5" is really too small to read anything without squinting. A high-res screen is pointless unless the screen size is higher too.

Resolution on the Storm needs to go up though. Right now it's only at measly 185 ppi.
    I'm no fan of Apple, but if you've seen the iphone4 in person, you'd know the screen really pops. Is it necessary? Not really, but I'm sure many people are sold on the eye candy...whether it's a gimmick or not.
    07-31-10 10:26 PM

In Your Opinion!

I'm "evaluating" an iPhone 4 now - and I'm not squinting at all when I look at the screen. It's not a perfect replacement but reading text, either in portrait or landscape, shows NO discernible pixels and my eye don't strain at all. I suggest that you not make statements that you can't back up and pass them off as facts! I've been a professional photographer for the last 40 years and I know when something relates to visual acuity is a "gimmick" or not.
    08-01-10 06:39 AM
    I got a 9000 because I didn't know better at the time and although I did post this in a thread regarding screen resolution, I was talking about hardware specs in general. Actually, the resolution is the least of the hardware specs I'm worried about. It's the memory and processor. Honestly, I'd be fine with the 9800 if I was sure it could handle streaming video and music well while using text programs (gtalk) or the web. My 9000 couldn't.

There are many things I liked about the 9000 and it worries me a little that I won't get the same experience on another platform. I'm willing to give it a try though.
    I'm not sure why you'd want to have streaming video going while you are using the web, but as for streaming music, well, I'm listening to Pandora right now as I'm using the web on my 9000, and without problem. That you can't is probably more a limitation of your connection rather than any limitation of the 9000 (I'm connected via wifi right now at an actual speed of 24 Mbs). Again, this kind of thing is more than adequate for most people. If you're a hardcore gamer or something like that, obviously you have the wrong phone.

08-01-10 08:18 AM
    That's what i'm referring to, more so than the 250 ppi screens of the 9700/9650, which are great. But 360x480 on something like a Storm, and that goes with the 9800 too, which is near the size of a Storm's screen...
    08-01-10 09:40 AM

In Your Opinion!

I'm "evaluating" an iPhone 4 now - and I'm not squinting at all when I look at the screen. It's not a perfect replacement but reading text, either in portrait or landscape, shows NO discernible pixels and my eye don't strain at all. I suggest that you not make statements that you can't back up and pass them off as facts! I've been a professional photographer for the last 40 years and I know when something relates to visual acuity is a "gimmick" or not.
    the clarity and sharpness of an iphone 4 become obvious when held next to a 3GS... makes the 360x480 screen of the 3GS look archaic... much like the Storm (and 9800?) look in comparison with the small but MUCH sharper (higher ppi) screens of the 9700/9780/9650/8900, etc....

when you no longer can see the pixel granularity, - all the eye candy aside - I think it benefits the eyes, less strain, since it looks like a printed page....

I certainly found my 9700's screen less eye straining (despite being small) than a Storm or iphone 3GS screen...
    Last edited by LCW; 08-01-10 at 09:44 AM.
    08-01-10 09:42 AM
    I'm not sure why you'd want to have streaming video going while you are using the web, but as for streaming music, well, I'm listening to Pandora right now as I'm using the web on my 9000, and without problem. That you can't is probably more a limitation of your connection rather than any limitation of the 9000 (I'm connected via wifi right now at an actual speed of 24 Mbs). Again, this kind of thing is more than adequate for most people. If you're a hardcore gamer or something like that, obviously you have the wrong phone.

Come on, you're really parsing my words here. All I'm saying is I have some concerns about the hardware capabilities based on my experience with the 9000. I'm obviously not trying to watch video and browse the internet at the same time. However in 19 months of using the 9000, I'm not sure I've ever streamed one youtube video without the video hiccuping.

Yeah, streaming music through slacker or pandora is fine, but when you try using the browser and built in media player combo, there is inconsistency.

Anyway, I don't see why it's wrong to criticize RIM for not keeping up with the competition. Everyone can scream battery life this and that, but the fact is, Apple and the hardware manufacturers using Android OS are building phones with faster processors, better screens and improving battery life at the same time.
    08-01-10 09:45 AM
    I've messed around with a iP4 and the screen does look amazing. As far as reading text goes, it does look extremely sharp, crisp, and clear. I don't see what's wrong with hoping Rim would increase the screen resolution instead of using a resolution that they had on their phones 2+ years ago.

And as far as battery life, the battery life on the 3GS was terrible, but is far improved on the iP4. Especially when you consider what alot of people will be doing on the phone along with the high res screen.

Sure higher pixels and faster processors, etc... Aren't needed but it sure is nice to have. And nice to see an improvement after having a phone for 1 or 2 years.
    08-01-10 12:22 PM
    I had a samsung captivate and I had to return it when I compared nit to my wife's iPhone 4. The phone screen made the captivate's text look like and old LCD screen text very jagged. It is a great screen and it would be a welcome addition for the slider screen but not a deal breaker for me regarding the slider. I will use the slider for business and the iPhone for fun and family.
    08-01-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD