i am in the process of using the device switch wizard ...from the 9700 to the 9800.

everything was going great until my dog got tangled up in my wires & pulled the usb cord.
    so now when i power on the 9800, i'm stuck at the orange AT&T screen.
    i tried to go back through the process again & now it's stuck on "Task in Progress (3 of 3) ... Read device service information".

it has been stuck on that particular step for over an hour.

what should i do?! please help.
    09-08-10 07:57 PM
    first I would not use the wizard. just sync your organizer data off the 9700 then sync the 9800. it s best to clean install all apps on the 9800 anyway.

See if the DM will update your device and check he box not to take a backup. If that fails we may have to use some other tools like BBSAK.

oh and chain up the dog for about an hour.
    09-08-10 08:48 PM
    well, i can't do anything. all i have now is a white screen on the torch, so i won't even have the chance to sync anything.
    09-08-10 08:50 PM
    i said sync the 9700. once we get the 9800 back up you can sync it at that point.
    09-08-10 08:52 PM
    i have no clue how to get the 9800 back up.
    09-08-10 09:03 PM
    cancel out of anything you have going in the DM unless you are sync'ing the 9700. hook up the Torch and under device choose update device. see what happens.
    09-08-10 09:14 PM
    Do a battery pull on the 9800, that should help it get back up and running. Do what shansmi says about syncing the 9700, once the 9800 is back up just sync it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 11:47 PM
    Yes, doing the Batt Pull will work, or the ALt Shift Delete works too I tried that out for shiz and giggles. Boy that wasn't fun

Just like with getting a new OS, forget Upgrading the darn thing! Start Anew!
    09-09-10 12:49 AM
    first I would not use the wizard.
    Device Switch works absolutely fine, and should be the default choice. The only problem with Device Switch is if you have older versions of FB and Twitter. You should delete those versions from your old device because they will be loaded over the stock Torch versions and will not integrate with Social Feeds.
    09-09-10 06:05 AM
    My comments and instructions are based on it failing for me cutting over to a Torch from a 9700. Many reporting "lag" did the same thing and wound up with duplicate copies of several applications hence my recommndation to sync organizer data only but do a fresh install of all apps.

I stand by that recommendation.

09-09-10 07:36 AM
    my problem was that i was using the old DM ...not DM6. that's why it got hung up. (i hate the new DM)
    09-09-10 05:47 PM
    My comments and instructions are based on it failing for me cutting over to a Torch from a 9700. Many reporting "lag" did the same thing and wound up with duplicate copies of several applications hence my recommndation to sync organizer data only but do a fresh install of all apps.

I stand by that recommendation.

It worked unfailingly well for me, and I experienced no lag whatsoever thereafter. The "duplicate copies of several applications" to which you refer is the FB and Twitter problem I mentioned. It is, as far as I know, limited to those apps, and actually causes the versions of those apps from the old device to be functional on the Torch (resulting in a lack of integration with Social Feeds), with the Torch's stock versions remaining as non-functional, "ghost copies. The simplest solution is to delete FB and Twitter from the old device before running Device Switch. No need to manually back up data and (more clumsily) apps.
    09-09-10 06:50 PM
    For me it also transferred DocToGo and PDFToGo. Other than that you are correct. I had no intentions of doing that again without more debug tools to capture data for RIM. That is happening soon.

Thinking about it MySpace might also do this but I don't use that app so I cannot say for sure.

Last edited by shansmi; 09-09-10 at 07:04 PM.
    09-09-10 07:02 PM
    UGH! the torch is about to get returned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

i am trying to upgrade to the newest OS on a BRAND NEW device that i got this afternoon ...and it's stuck on "connecting to device; this may take up to 30 minutes".

it has been on this step for an hour.

WHAT NOW?!!??!!!!
    09-09-10 07:32 PM
    What is on the Torch screen? Connecting when? The very first of the process, what?

09-09-10 07:35 PM
    torch screen only shows the orange AT&T start screen.
    it is on the 3rd step of the OS upgrade. it's already done the back up, the install, and is now on the 3rd step which is "Reboot".
    09-09-10 07:41 PM
    Ok and that should be rather quick. Then it should restore your apps and settings.

An hour?! There is something wrong. I would say just unhook it and do a battery pull. Once back in do a security wipe. Sync your organizer data and you should be good.

Last edited by shansmi; 09-09-10 at 07:55 PM.
    09-09-10 07:52 PM
    it's been on the same step for an hour... that's my initial problem. nothing has been restored because it won't go to the next step.
    09-09-10 07:54 PM
    Where are you Dallas by any chance?

09-09-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD