2 questions to get started. I'm sure there will be more

Just bought a new unlocked 9800 and need to set it up. Can I just move the SIM card and micro SD from my 5 year old Curve 8320 into the new phone or is there much more to do to get the 9800 fired up. My carrier is T-Mobile

How can I transfer all my contact info without desktop manager. I seem to remember that when I got the Curve there was a direct transfer method available to move the info from my previous Blackberry
    09-08-11 04:42 PM
    Yep just put the sim card in and your good to go. You might have to download the T-Mobile service books to get full service of your Torch.

You can save your contacts to your sim card then move it into the torch.
    09-08-11 09:56 PM
    I think you should back up your SD card and do a clean format on it, then you can copy your files back. Just my 2 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 04:27 AM
    1 question.

Why the 9800 and not the 9810? Or 9900? Or the 9350? Or the 9850?

09-09-11 05:47 AM
    The 9810 is a little more expensive? Lol ( thats why i still 9800 )..
    Theres a way to transfer all your contact trough the web. Its a google service. I dont lnow much about it but i read a lot of people used it and they transfer nokia > blackberry... Blackberry > blackerry, and works

09-09-11 06:24 AM
    1 question.

Why the 9800 and not the 9810? Or 9900? Or the 9350? Or the 9850?

One reason was price and another was probably stupidity
    09-09-11 06:41 AM
    Yep just put the sim card in and your good to go. You might have to download the T-Mobile service books to get full service of your Torch.

How do I save my contacts to the SIM card? I'm a 10 year Blackberry user but that doesn't equate to knowing anything about the details. I just phone, email, schedule, and take pics. Beyond that I haven't gotten into the finer points.

My work computer is a laptop on which I access the company server thru remote desktop and it then acts as a terminal which won't accept Blackberry Desktop so I can't use the sync function.

If I download Desktop and use the switch devices function will that work?
    09-09-11 06:48 AM

Here's another one. How do I download the T-Mobile service books? I remember a couple of times in the past when I was having phone issues T-Mobile support sent new service books to my phone. Will they do that now if I call them or will they deny because I'm using a phone that they don't sell?
    09-09-11 06:51 AM
    I think you should back up your SD card and do a clean format on it, then you can copy your files back. Just my 2 cents.

OK - showing more of my ignorance - how do I backup my SIM card? Where is the backup stored? How do I do a clean format?

My lack of knowledge comes from years of my previous Blackberries working so reliably. I have had very few issues during the 10 years
    Last edited by eess; 09-09-11 at 06:57 AM.
    09-09-11 06:54 AM
    yes you can use ur old sim card and old sd card and put it in your torch to use and for transfering data just save your data from your old berry onto your desktop manager then when u plus in your torch with desktop manager u restore the data
    eess likes this.
    09-09-11 08:15 AM
    yes you can use ur old sim card and old sd card and put it in your torch to use and for transfering data just save your data from your old berry onto your desktop manager then when u plus in your torch with desktop manager u restore the data
    You make it sound so easy. Is there any need to get the T-Mobile service books or do those reside on the SIM card?

I haven't tried putting the SIM into the new phone yet because I am worried I could wipe out everything on the SIM. If the new phone doesn't like the SIM will it still work in my old phone?

Also, I see 2 SIM slots in the 9800. I assume the card from my old phone goes into "SIM !". Will the phone work without the 2nd card? Is that just for extra storage capacity?
    09-09-11 08:42 AM
    There is one SIM slot and one slot for SD card. Go buy a good quality SD card so you can set the phone to store media on it. 4gb are inexpensive.

09-09-11 09:30 AM
    You make it sound so easy. Is there any need to get the T-Mobile service books or do those reside on the SIM card?

I haven't tried putting the SIM into the new phone yet because I am worried I could wipe out everything on the SIM. If the new phone doesn't like the SIM will it still work in my old phone?

Also, I see 2 SIM slots in the 9800. I assume the card from my old phone goes into "SIM !". Will the phone work without the 2nd card? Is that just for extra storage capacity?
    You can safely insert your sim card into the new phone. There is absolutely no chance your sim card will be deleted!!

In what respects to your carrier�s service books these do not reside in the SIM card. Once you install the SIM card in the new device (and it actually connects to T-Mobile�s network) go to SETUP and select E-mail accounts. You then log in to your carrier�s setup page using the same user and password you used with your old phone.

Depending on the carrier you have the option of switching device.. you must follow that road.. If necessary you have the option of "sending the service books"...

Don�t be afraid, you will not delete your SIM card.

Good luck.!
    eess likes this.
    09-09-11 09:49 AM
    There is one SIM slot and one slot for SD card. Go buy a good quality SD card so you can set the phone to store media on it. 4gb are inexpensive.

On this phone there are 2 SIM slots labeled SIM 1 and SIM 2 and also a micro SD slot.

I have one SIM and a micro SD from my current 8320.

This was an ebay purchase. The phone is new with the plastic on the screen and all the little bags for the accessories and 2 batteries were neatly included in the box. It came in a small Blackberry box worded in English but there is no carrier name (AT&T, etc.) on the box. There is a 'Safety' manual but no user manual or desktop software disc. When you power it up the first screen that comes up says "AT&T Worldphone"

Does anybody know what I have here? And if so, do you know if I need 2 SIM cards to make this work.

There are at least 4 more people out there that have the same phone because the ebay seller had 5 of them to sell.
    09-09-11 12:20 PM
    On this phone there are 2 SIM slots labeled SIM 1 and SIM 2 and also a micro SD slot.

I have one SIM and a micro SD from my current 8320.

This was an ebay purchase. The phone is new with the plastic on the screen and all the little bags for the accessories and 2 batteries were neatly included in the box. It came in a small Blackberry box worded in English but there is no carrier name (AT&T, etc.) on the box. There is a 'Safety' manual but no user manual or desktop software disc. When you power it up the first screen that comes up says "AT&T Worldphone"

Does anybody know what I have here? And if so, do you know if I need 2 SIM cards to make this work.

There are at least 4 more people out there that have the same phone because the ebay seller had 5 of them to sell.
    Looks like you have been spanked with one of those Chinese copies. I know that here in the UK we can't get dual sim blackberries but im not sure about anywhere else. Get your money back mate.

Or I could be totally wrong and it's a real blackberry. Let's hope I'm wrong
    09-09-11 01:42 PM
    Looks like you have been spanked with one of those Chinese copies. I know that here in the UK we can't get dual sim blackberries but im not sure about anywhere else. Get your money back mate.

Or I could be totally wrong and it's a real blackberry. Let's hope I'm wrong
    It says made in china inside the battery compartment. Sounds bad to me
    Where are real Blackberries made?
    09-09-11 01:49 PM
    They are usually made in Mexico, Hungary or Canada. I don't think I've had a blackberry made in china before. Can you post a picture of the panel behind the battery? This should clear things up.
    09-09-11 03:17 PM
    They are usually made in Mexico, Hungary or Canada. I don't think I've had a blackberry made in china before. Can you post a picture of the panel behind the battery? This should clear things up.
    Here are some pics of the inside of the phone and the little box it came in if I can get them to upload correctly

Attachment 93177
    Attachment 93178
    Attachment 93179
    Attachment 93180
    Attachment 93181
    Attachment 93182
    09-09-11 05:06 PM
    I'm sorry to say that your phone doesn't seem to be a blackberry. Looks like a Chinese knock-off. Sorry mate.
    09-09-11 07:31 PM
    I'm sorry to say that your phone doesn't seem to be a blackberry. Looks like a Chinese knock-off. Sorry mate.
    What's with the 2 SIM slots? There are 2 spots on the main screen for the existence of SIMs to show. With the SIM in slot 1 it says T_Mobile in the left box. With the SIM in slot 2 it says T-Mobile in the right box.

Any other opinions on the origin of this phone? Before I accuse the seller of being a thief and bringing down the wrath of eBay and Paypal on her I want to be sure. I have already requested a stop payment with my credit card company
    09-09-11 07:38 PM
    That is definitely a cheap Chinese knockoff. Give me a couple minutes and I'll dig out my 9800 and post you some pics.
    09-09-11 07:43 PM
    Ok here a few shots of my 9800(ATT branded) that I took with my 9810.

eess likes this.
    09-09-11 07:56 PM
    That is definitely a cheap Chinese knockoff. Give me a couple minutes and I'll dig out my 9800 and post you some pics.
    These screens looked wierd to me. They are for changing the date and time. Does a real torch use this method that looks like an old fashioned odometer?

Attachment 93190
    Attachment 93191

Here's a shot of the main screen showing the 2 SIM card indicators

Attachment 93192

By the way, before the first time I inserted my SIM card I could scroll sideways 2 times and show 3 different screens full of icons for everything the phone is supposed to run. After I put in my SIM I only get 1 screen of icons. There is no side scrolling so most of the functions are now missing.
    Strange

Here's another by the way - The phone came with the time zone set to Beijing. That's probably another telltale
    Last edited by eess; 09-09-11 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Additional info
    09-09-11 07:59 PM
    Yeah that is definetly not a blackberry. Your home screen doesn't even look right. Ill post you a shot of my 9810(they basically look the same as the 9800 other then the icons have a sharper color)On the stock blackberry OS7 theme(which is basically the same as the stock OS6 theme)

eess likes this.
    09-09-11 08:06 PM
    This is what it should look like when you want to change the time and/or date.

And this is what it looks like when you want to set an alarm.

9800 and 9810 are basically the same device with the 9810 having better internals.
    Last edited by homer1475; 09-09-11 at 08:19 PM.
    eess likes this.
    09-09-11 08:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD