Last night I dropped my Torch in a sink of water. The water was clean, but the phone was completely submerged for a few seconds. I took it out and it looked fine and was working, so I stupidly didn't turn it off or take out the battery immediately. I dried it off and after a few minutes I took out the battery and left it sitting to dry.*
    Also stupidly, I tried putting the battery in a bit later with nothing happening. Today I have just been leaving it alone. It is sitting in a bowl of rice at the moment. I did try a few more times to put the battery in and the red light turns on, but then off, then on and then nothing. I didn't realize I should not be doing that, is there any luck my phone will work again?
    02-01-11 11:42 PM
    Unfortunately, your phone is most likely ruined.

Your biggest mistake was not taking the battery out immediately, and then drying it out for at least a day in some rice. The water obviously got inside the phone and probably caused a short when you were trying to turn it on.

Hope you have insurance...
    02-01-11 11:49 PM
    I knowwww! I didn't realize, should I leave it in the rice for a day more and see what happens then?

I don't have insurance on the phone, I came across someone who had a few when they first came out, so I picked it up for next to nothing. BUT STILL, not stoked.
    02-02-11 12:00 AM
    Well, you don't have anything to lose by leaving it in the rice. Just don't expect it to work right again...
    02-02-11 12:10 AM
    NOOOOOOO!!! What a horrible story!!! Only in my nightmares would that ever happen!! I love my crackberry!
    Last edited by otothez; 02-02-11 at 12:20 AM.
    02-02-11 12:17 AM
    Let it sit another day or so. It may have fried but just give it a chance to totally dry out. If you can find a packet or two of Silca Gel throw those and your phone in a plastic bag. It works real well. If you can dry it right out it will likely come back.

X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 12:24 AM
    Same problem here with my 1st torch long story short I use the insurance and got a new one cuase it did not turn on again.
    It suck but now I'm more careful with bb and water. Good luck

02-02-11 12:47 AM
    that's always my fear, having my phone drop in water, at one point I drop it but my reflex was very good and I was able to kick the phone before it goes in the water (it land on dry land so I was fine).

Insurance is a pain to pay for, but it is nice when something like that happen.

the most common mistake people do is to put the battery in too early, which 99 % of the time fry the phone.
    02-02-11 08:36 AM
    You say you have it in a bowl of rice, you really need to have it in a sealed container of some sort like a plastic baggie with rice. Give your phone some time.
    02-02-11 09:54 AM
    I did this with my Bold 9000. I accidentally left it in my jeans and stuck my jeans in the washing machine!

My dumb self tried to turn it back on before reading up on the rice trick. Ended up with a dead Bold.
    02-02-11 11:37 AM
    I have rescued a couple of phones over the years by putting them in the oven at the lowest temperature for an hour or so. Worth a try as a last resort.
    02-02-11 11:49 AM
    I droped mine in the lake and was under water for 10-15 minutes. I soaked mine in rubbing alochol let it air dry works good.
    02-02-11 12:37 PM
    You'd be surprised how many people drop theirs in the toilet...
    02-02-11 03:17 PM
    You'd be surprised how many people drop theirs in the toilet...

I'm NEVER buying a used phone again.
    dancing-bass likes this.
    02-02-11 04:15 PM
    I'm NEVER buying a used phone again.
    +1

(and a "thanks" for actually making me LOL)
    02-02-11 09:00 PM
    +1

(and a "thanks" for actually making me LOL)

LOL. Anytime you need a good laugh, just give me a holla!
    02-02-11 09:08 PM
    I have rescued a couple of phones over the years by putting them in the oven at the lowest temperature for an hour or so. Worth a try as a last resort.
    Yep, that works very well. The heat drives the moisture out. I did that many times with my 9000. It had been wet many many times. I bought it the day they were released and it still works.

02-02-11 09:30 PM
    Try taking off the back cover & removing all cards. Sit it in front of a high-speed fan all day/night & cross your fingers.
    02-02-11 09:32 PM
    2 days ago my bf took my phone and dropped it in the sink with water, i jumped up and ran to the sink as fast as i could, it was only a few seconds but it felt like an hour! I took the back off and removed the battery, then i wiped it off quickly and wrapped it in a towel keys down. I left it in rice overnight, and just to make sure, in the morning, i left it in front of a running hairdryer on high cool setting for an hour. I was terrified to try and turn it back on but it has been working great ever since! Tough little phones!
    02-11-11 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD