^ hush hush...not supposed to talk about them...j/k
    Is the Dakota running 6.1 and does HD video?
    02-16-11 10:36 AM
    You'll probably regret not getting the newest one when it comes out. And if you're concerned with the ETF, I assume you're going to be locked in with the first Torch for a while. Make it worth it and get one of the newer ones in the fall, I've already played with the Torch 2 and the Dakota, both look pretty amazing.
    Your one of the lucky ones....
    02-16-11 11:39 AM
    ^ either he/she works at RIM or like everyone in Waterloo (including myself), knows someone that does.
    02-16-11 11:58 AM
    Here you go. I put this on a co-workers 8330 last week. No issues so far.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/lat...-438-a-412168/

Cheers
    Thanks I'll go read!
    02-16-11 12:07 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm also waiting for the Torch 2, and the Torch 1 is a great device to have in your hands while you wait!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 12:23 PM
    Thanks I'll go read!
    Congratualtions! You have made a wise decision Grasshopper (man does that date me). Soon you will be rocking on an upgraded 8330 and amazed at what an upgrade will do for your old trusty phone. And while I am rocking on my Torch you will soon (maybe later cause you never know about these rumored phones) be enjoying a Torch 2 and laughing at me cause I still have a whole year to go till my contract runs out.
    02-16-11 12:42 PM
    Not that I ever trust the customer representatives that work for my provider, but the last time I was on call with them; Sept 2011 was the launch date for the Torch 2 on Rogers
    02-16-11 02:13 PM
    Here you go. I put this on a co-workers 8330 last week. No issues so far.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/lat...-438-a-412168/

Cheers
    I find that I have an 8330m. does the upgrade work just as well?
    02-16-11 02:13 PM
    ^ Actually I don't think so. Glad you checked. There is a different download for that.
    Edit, my mistake. There's no 5.0 for an 8330m.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-16-11 at 02:34 PM.
    02-16-11 02:21 PM
    Just wait for the Torch 3.
    02-16-11 03:34 PM
    I'm waiting for the Torch 2. As luck would have it Telus just started a phone buyout plan so I only have to pay $10/month left on my contract for early upgrade instead of the $20. While I love my Bold 9700 it wasn't long after I got it the newer one was announced so I'm not doing that again.
    02-16-11 04:12 PM
    I'm waiting for the Torch 2. As luck would have it Telus just started a phone buyout plan so I only have to pay $10/month left on my contract for early upgrade instead of the $20. While I love my Bold 9700 it wasn't long after I got it the newer one was announced so I'm not doing that again.
    Have you loaded OS6 on your 9700? If you use the browser often it's worth doing.
    02-16-11 05:18 PM
    All this Torch2 talk is very depressing.
    02-16-11 05:30 PM
    I would just like to add a slightly different slant on this thread if I may.

In my opinion if a phone does what you want it to do and does it well, why do we need to upgrade, just because its the next latest and greatest thing?

About 3 weeks ago, I upgraded my old black and gold Nokia 6310i for a Torch. I had kept the nokia because it did what I wanted, phone calls and text messages, I had a quite expensive full car kit for it and it was reliable. In the end I was being told that phone calls were echoey and some of the buttons were starting to wear out, mind you after 11 years of hard business use I think it was entitled to wear out!

I am not sure how long the Torch will last, but it feels a good solid phone, and as it does everything I want it to do and allot more besides, I personally see no reason to change. Yes I have upgraded the OS to the latest leaked .450 but that was only becuse I wanted to try doing an OS upgrade out of interest.

The bottom line is if you have a phone that does everything you want it to, the there is no reason other than wanting the latest and greatest phone to change. As such I would say as you have a need for apps on a higher OS than the one you currently have, go for the Torch now, enjoy it and stick with it
    02-16-11 07:19 PM
    ^ Good post.
    I tend to wait a few years myself and stay away from carrier contracts. I'm not a member of the 'disposable generation' way of thinking either.
    My reason for finally updating was, I wanted to have wifi and a camera, neither of which where in my previous BB.
    02-16-11 07:42 PM
    ^ Good post.
    I tend to wait a few years myself and stay away from carrier contracts. I'm not a member of the 'disposable generation' way of thinking either.
    My reason for finally updating was, I wanted to have wifi and a camera, neither of which where in my previous BB.
    My reason for upgrading: My Curve 8520 had broken AGAIN, and I needed a camera on my phone that has flash. Hence I got a Bold 9700 in the post. Saw some Torches on eBay for not much more than the �230 I paid for my 9700 so that was gutting. I have a contract, but it's a 30-day rolling SIM-only contract.
    02-16-11 07:47 PM
    ^ hush hush...not supposed to talk about them...j/k
    Is the Dakota running 6.1 and does HD video?
    It was an extremely limited kinda hold in my hand deal. This thing is THIN though.
    02-17-11 02:05 AM
    You should think about it carefully
    If there is Torch 9800 now, You want to wait for the Torch 2.
    When Torch 2 Comes out, There might be some rumors about Torch 3 already, Then you are going to wait for the Torch 3?

This will continue forever, Might be (Torch 3 > 4 > 5)
    You should go for the 9780, Slider Phones alway have Problems, especially the 9800 is RIM's first slider phone so there will be allot of problems for sure!
    02-17-11 04:48 AM
    You should think about it carefully
    If there is Torch 9800 now, You want to wait for the Torch 2.
    When Torch 2 Comes out, There might be some rumors about Torch 3 already, Then you are going to wait for the Torch 3?

This will continue forever, Might be (Torch 3 > 4 > 5)
    You should go for the 9780, Slider Phones alway have Problems, especially the 9800 is RIM's first slider phone so there will be allot of problems for sure!
    I think it's ironic that you said the above (in bold) and yet you have this - Device Model: 8900 (Curve), 9780 (Bold), Soon Getting 9800! beside your Avatar.
    Are you trying to make sure there is at least one left for you?
    I don't disagree with your opinions though. The point about the next best thing and so on...
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-17-11 at 10:17 AM.
    02-17-11 10:13 AM
    Wait for Torch 3 it's going to be unbelievable. If you need a new laptop, wait for the 2015 MacBook Pro - it's going to feature 48 hour battery and thought recognition software.

I'm just kidding around lol - all I can share is that in my experience, the longer you wait, the "better" products will be but if you forget about it and just focus on what you need right now today, you will worry a lot less and enjoy what you have whether it is your current phone or a new torch - or anything else in your life. Good luck!
    02-17-11 10:28 AM
    slightly off topic but since we are all having a sensible conversation
    without matrix leader commenting
    does anyone know if 6.1 will be available for all or just certain models
    ie we stick with our original torches but can upload 6.1 whenever it arrives
    and are we talking months or end of year
    02-18-11 08:08 AM
    slightly off topic but since we are all having a sensible conversation
    without matrix leader commenting
    Now that you mention it, I did notice the lack of an annoyance factor in this thread.

does anyone know if 6.1 will be available for all or just certain models
    ie we stick with our original torches but can upload 6.1 whenever it arrives
    and are we talking months or end of year
    I don't know, but I would be very surprised if it weren't made available for the original Torch. I just hope it isn't like how 5.0 was made available for the 9000 (before the 9700 came out, but extremely buggy until after the 9700's release) or how 6.0 was made available for the 9700 (well after the 9780 came out).
    daveshiz likes this.
    02-18-11 11:22 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD