Anyone have any idea apporximately how much data Garmin for BB uses, say on an hourly basis???

Thanks
    12-01-10 04:00 PM
    It's hard to say, because the download frequency depends on how often and how far you move. I would not consider using any GPS app without unlimited data.
    12-01-10 04:06 PM
    I installed the free trial version of Garmin on my Torch three days ago and have been using it for several hours a day just to see how much data it's going to use before deciding whether to buy, and it doesn't seem to be using any. My data usage has not increased at all. Is this possible?
    12-04-10 10:20 AM
    No, not possible at all. In order for Garmin Mobile to work it has to have an active
    data plan to pull in the information from the satellites. Your data usage may just
    not have been updated by your carrier as of yet.
    12-04-10 10:24 AM
    But when I log into my account the data usage numbers are there for the last three days, and they reflect my normal Internet use (very low, 1.5 MB to 5 MB per day) despite the fact that I have been using Garmin heavily during that period...
    12-04-10 10:34 AM
    Gotcha. The point however is that usage may be in the numbers you are seeing.
    The actual usage may be low but there will definitely be data used.
    12-04-10 11:17 AM
    OK, but if so then the answer to drinmtl's question -- "how much data does Garmin use on an hourly basis?" -- must be "minimal," 1-2 MB max.
    12-04-10 11:49 AM
    Could be but again it depends on a lot of factors such as distance traveled and
    the actual application being used. With Garmin Mobile I know the data usage is
    quite a bit more than 1-2mb per hour of use.
    12-04-10 02:02 PM
    To elaborate on AG's post: traveling on the interstate at 70 miles per hour for an hour will use more data than will driving around town for an hour. As I stated above, I would not consider using a GPS app without unlimited data, at least until I had used it for a month and had some idea what my use would be. You might then be able to drop to a cheaper, limited data plan, knowing your use would fit.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-04-10 05:07 PM
    I installed the free trial version of Garmin on my Torch three days ago and have been using it for several hours a day just to see how much data it's going to use before deciding whether to buy, and it doesn't seem to be using any. My data usage has not increased at all. Is this possible?
    You had Garmin on your Torch? I went to Garmin website, and I didn't see the Torch as compatible device. What Garmin do you use?
    12-04-10 07:39 PM
    You had Garmin on your Torch? I went to Garmin website, and I didn't see the Torch as compatible device. What Garmin do you use?
    I have it on mine also. It does not list the Torch as being compatible but
    Version 6 works flawlessly. It also has a 7 day trial so you can test it out.
    12-04-10 08:30 PM
    I downloaded and used the trial version on my Torch a month ago. I downloaded it specifically to use on a trip from Montreal to the Toronto area (around 6 hour drive each way). I had it on 100% of the time in both directions, and the data usage was surprisingly low. Perhaps around 10mb, if that. Not bad for ~12 hours of highway driving.

I was very happy with the app, but opted not to get it and go for a dedicated Garmin unit so both my wife and I can use it.
    12-05-10 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD