Hi,

I plan to upgrade my 9700 at the end of the year. Please one of you 9800 users tell me how having the touch screen and virtual keyboard has affected your use of the physical key board. Do you use the physical keyboard only for serious typing or all of the time? I kind of think about getting the BB Touch/Monza when/if that is released. I would kind of like to convert to only virtual typing but not sure about ease of use and utility of it.

Comments welcome.
    07-06-11 05:59 PM
    I switched from the 9700 to the 9800. I almost never used the virtual keyboard, I'm just not into that. I did like the touch screen though. I recently switched back to the 9700 (just missed the feel of it) and I miss the ability to touch icons and stuff when I'm lazy. Can't wait for the 9900.
    07-06-11 06:06 PM
    I've tried repeatedly to convert to the virtual keyboard, but just can't do it. I like the tactile feedback from a physical keyboard. If you're not sure then the Torch is probably perfect for you.
    07-06-11 07:45 PM
    The physical keyboard is one of the main reasons I simply cannot abandon my BB. I use the keyboard for almost all typing and use the touch screen for selecting stuff. I absolutely love the combination of both and hated other platforms that offered only the touchscreen (don't even get me started on the crazy typos that occurred!)
    07-06-11 07:49 PM
    I use both the keyboards, if i am quickly chucking a short message to someone i will use the virtual keyboard and i find it very easy to use, my dad has even tried using it with his 'fat' fingers and had no problems at all, he actually liked it which was a surprise.

But when typing long messages it is much easier to use the normal keyboard. i love the fact that if the word is spelt wrong you have the ease of a touch screen to simply click on the word to fix it.

i have found when using the virtual keyboard it will automatically corrects incorrect words (and it is normally changed correctly for what i am writing, never had a blooper ) but it wont when i am using the physical keyboard, i am not sure if this is an option you can change or not.
    07-06-11 08:04 PM
    I never use the virtual. Love the physical ans I entered a whole bunch of abbreviations of words I use a lot into that thingy where if I type the abbreviation it will spell out the word. I also use the trackpad a LOT and rarely use the touchscreen except sometimes to touch an app. Even then most of the time I find myself scrolling to the app and clicking with the trackpad. I would love to get a new bold touch!!!! Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Torch. But as much as I use the keyboard I think the bold has a nicer keyboard. This is my first blackberry but I can tell I would like the bold even better not having to slide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 08:18 PM
    Hi rexknapps,

I rarely use the virtual keyboard. I had an iphone before getting my Torch and was used to touchscreen typing, but I just love the feel of the physical keyboard. Plus I type much more quickly and comfortably on it.
    The Torch gives you the best of both worlds. You have a bigger, touch screen without having to worry if you can't get used to the virtual typing because you always have the other option at your finger tips.
    I'd go into a store and take it for a whirl. )
    07-06-11 08:59 PM
    Yes I was wondering the same thing, I like the torches form factor and having the touch screen and keyboard but I'm not sure if I should replace my 9780 for a torch

07-06-11 11:07 PM
    Hi,

I plan to upgrade my 9700 at the end of the year. Please one of you 9800 users tell me how having the touch screen and virtual keyboard has affected your use of the physical key board. Do you use the physical keyboard only for serious typing or all of the time? I kind of think about getting the BB Touch/Monza when/if that is released. I would kind of like to convert to only virtual typing but not sure about ease of use and utility of it.

Comments welcome.
    I almost never use the virtual keyboard. The physical keyboard is just so much easier.

A couple of things, though. By the time you upgrade, there will be a new Torch 2, as well as the touchscreen Bold 9900. I would suggest looking into the 9900.
    07-07-11 07:21 AM
    I almost never use the virtual keyboard. The physical keyboard is just so much easier.

A couple of things, though. By the time you upgrade, there will be a new Torch 2, as well as the touchscreen Bold 9900. I would suggest looking into the 9900.
    Hmm, more of a reason for me not to upgrade just yet.
    07-07-11 01:44 PM
    It is worth waiting for both new devices to be released and testing both of them. Which device will depends on personal preference and actual testing.

07-07-11 08:08 PM
    I switched from the 9700. I do use the virtual keyboard when I wake up and can't hold my phone up. Its not bad but it by no means is anywhere close to the best. If you take the time to learn to use it, it will be cool. But for almost all things like typing this, I use the physical keyboard. If I were you I would wait till the 9810 drops if you are at all interested in the current torch. Maybe wait for monza if you want a touch only(I'm over touch only after my iphone). And if you aboslutely love your 9700 deff wait for 9900. But I do love the screen of my 9800. I do hate some things about it but all small issues mostly

07-13-11 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD