I dropped my brand new Torch in a glass of sweet tea today while in the car. It was in the cup for less than 5 seconds, I immediately pulled the battery and wiped out the inside, and it's been sitting in a container of rice for a while to get the moisture out. The physical keyboard and the trackpad work fine, thank goodness, and the phone boots up fine, sends emails and texts, and gets calls. But the touchscreen is not responding. Has anyone gotten their Torch wet and did it ruin the touchscreen?
    09-16-10 08:38 PM
    It should be left in the rice for 48 - 72 hours to ensure all moisture is removed. If you put the battery back in too early, you could cause a short.
    09-16-10 08:42 PM
    Sorry to hear that. You should dry your phone and battery first.
    09-16-10 08:44 PM
    I dropped my brand new Torch in a glass of sweet tea today
    Ouch... Not so sweet!
    Hope it returns to working order after drying in the rice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 08:56 PM
    I'm guessing if it does dry out enough to function properly, the sugar left behind will eventually kill the phone. Its a great time for an insurance claim if you have it.

09-16-10 09:05 PM
    Oh, we have insurance, but it doesn't cover water damage--we asked. And the stickers are red. Well, the sticker on the phone is red, the one on the battery is still white.
    09-16-10 09:15 PM
    ooooh yeah that sucks!! sorry friend!
    09-16-10 09:41 PM
    oh jeeeeeeeeeeeeez. That is just horrible. I was lucky enough to survive something like that with my 8900 but that didn't have a touchscreen! Let's hope some solid drying time helps you out. Good luck and keep us posted.
    09-17-10 12:39 AM
    Update: I left the phone in a container of rice last night, and this morning I noticed condensation on the camera lens and flash. We have an air purifier in our bedroom, so I laid it on top of the air vent and it forced room-temp air through it while I got ready for work. By the time I was ready for work, the visible condensation was gone.

I didn't want to leave it like that all day with the cats around, because I knew they would think "ooh, shiny new toy" so I took it with me to work, propped it on a tape dispenser on the counter in my office, and pointed a tiny fan right at it all day (taken apart).

THE TOUCHSCREEN MOSTLY WORKS NOW!!

There are a couple of 'dead' spots on it, but for the most part it works. I'll probably take it apart again now that I'm home and put it back on the air purifier. Y'all, if this thing survives a dunking in a glass of tea, I will be even more in love with this phone than I already am. I am pretty sure that the sugar from the tea will probably corrode the inside eventually and make it crap out faster than it would normally, so I'm going to go ahead and budget for a new one, but the fact that it's mostly working now is a huge relief.
    09-17-10 03:09 PM
    Boy, I hope it works out for you. Put a lid on your cup of tea!
    09-17-10 03:53 PM
    if you have insurance....call it in and say you lost it. backup the phone and pull the memory card. once the new one comes you wont have to worry about anything
    09-17-10 04:22 PM
    Ummm... AT&T insurance does cover water damage, but warranty doesn't two different things. I have gotten drunk enough times and decide to go swimming with my clothes and all my stuff still in the pockets to know this, lol!
    09-17-10 05:39 PM
    Apparently this is not the 'official' AT&T insurance, but another insurance offered by our local telephone company, which is an "authorized retailer" where I got my Torch. And their plan doesn't include "customer negligence" which they say includes water damage. It makes me really angry, because it's the same price as AT&T's insurance and covers nothing!
    09-17-10 06:27 PM
    Honestly I would get that changed if you can to an official insurance... that is the whole point of paying for insurance since it pays for protection that your warranty does not cover hence water damage!
    09-17-10 06:34 PM
    Yes! It makes no sense whatsoever. I didn't buy the phone or insurance, my husband did as a gift (it was a surprise, he knew I wanted it!) so I didn't know this until right now. There is seriously no point to this insurance because it doesn't cover anything!
    09-17-10 06:37 PM
    Have you had it more than 30 days? If not you should be able to add the AT&T insurance. You can do it online.
    09-17-10 09:24 PM
    Sweet...

Tea or unsweet tea?
    09-17-10 10:50 PM
    Uh oh. What's Civic doing in these forums? :S

09-17-10 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD