My wife and I recently spent a few days in Destin, Florida. On our last night we took a sunset cruise. We got hit with a squall while in the bay. The ship returned to the dock but not before I got wetter than I usually do when taking a shower. At first I thought my Torch was fine, but by the time we got back to our hotel it was dead. Removing the battery and drying everything did not help, nor did attacking it with a hair dryer. My wife had a small silica jell packet that she keeps in her laptop case. She shoved that into the phone�s battery compartment and we left it alone overnight. The next morning, I inserted the battery and to my pleasant surprise everything is fine! I'm ordering a box of these beauties from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Uline Silica Gel Desiccants 2-3/4 x 3 Inches - 25 Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each: Electronics
    06-05-11 04:18 PM
    My wife and I recently spent a few days in Destin, Florida. On our last night we took a sunset cruise. We got hit with a squall while in the bay. The ship returned to the dock but not before I got wetter than I usually do when taking a shower. At first I thought my Torch was fine, but by the time we got back to our hotel it was dead. Removing the battery and drying everything did not help, nor did attacking it with a hair dryer. My wife had a small silica jell packet that she keeps in her laptop case. She shoved that into the phone�s battery compartment and we left it alone overnight. The next morning, I inserted the battery and to my pleasant surprise everything is fine! I'm ordering a box of these beauties from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Uline Silica Gel Desiccants 2-3/4 x 3 Inches - 25 Silica Gel Packets of 10 Grams Each: Electronics
    Glad to hear the device is functioning... You can use uncooked rice as a cheaper dessicant as well. The ideal solution would be to not get the device wet, but good save with the siliva gel packet !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-11 06:50 PM
    For future reference, do not use a hair dryer. That just blows the water farther inside the device. Silica dessicant is better than rice.

See this thread.
    06-05-11 11:35 PM
    For future reference, do not use a hair dryer. That just blows the water farther inside the device. Silica dessicant is better than rice.

See this thread.
    Well if you blow the wet part directly I assume yes, but I have done it using a hair dryer after a friend's phone fell in the poll, by turning it on light and placing it far from the device to heat it and force the water to evaporate. I agree with the rice working to as I have seen that used, and logically Silica desiccant should work the best as it is designed to absorb moisture, which is whats stuck in your device (if it were actually filled with water you phone is dead no matter what you do). My opinion is do anything and everything, you spent a lot of money on a device should do your best to save it.
    06-06-11 01:57 AM
    Isn't this classed as spam?

The amazon link is a referral..
    06-06-11 11:59 AM
    yep, i work for amazon and plan to make my fortune selling jel packs. Geez!
    06-06-11 12:01 PM
    Isn't this classed as spam?

The amazon link is a referral..
    That's a Negative, Ghostrider. Usere are allowed to include links. He was not advertizing for amazon, meerly showing the item that he was successful in saving the device with...

The link says exactally where it's going to bring you... If you consider that spam, it's simple, don't open the link...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 12:02 PM
    placing the open phone under a lamp is much better than the hair dryer.

but now the water damage indicators will have changed colour, so if your phone needs a repair (non water damage related) it may be denied repair even if under warranty as it will be put down to water damage.

trying to replace the stickers will only screw you further...just pray your torch was well made.
    06-06-11 03:51 PM
    placing the open phone under a lamp is much better than the hair dryer.

but now the water damage indicators will have changed colour, so if your phone needs a repair (non water damage related) it may be denied repair even if under warranty as it will be put down to water damage.

trying to replace the stickers will only screw you further...just pray your torch was well made.
    yep. as soon as this happened i realized i was screwed, and for all practical purposes i no longer have a warranty.
    06-06-11 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD