I handled one a few months back... and I can honestly say I didn't like it. I usually love sliders, but this one... the keyboard area felt like it was going to snap and I honestly couldn't type on it. What do you guys think?
    03-07-12 12:16 PM
    Did you tried to exchange it for another one? I have tried the Torch2 was a good phone though with no gimmicks.
    Classy looking and yet sexy. But since i use my berry non stop i have chose the 9900 instead.
    Morty2264 and staraf like this.
    03-07-12 12:19 PM
    I'm getting the 9700 soon and I only looked at it in the shop.
    03-07-12 12:29 PM
    To be honest, I don't think I've ever tried typing on a Torch before. I'd love to try, though! I too like slider phones; but I'd also feel a little freaked out if the keyboard felt unstable. It might've been just that one device that felt strange though... I agree with byul: try another model and see if it feels any better. They have brand new Torches out that look so sexy and fun! Try them out and see what you think!
    03-07-12 12:30 PM
    Love my torch this phones been dropped like there's no tomorrow. Even from a moving car once and still the phone/slider/keyboard works like day 1. Never used a case, but had a screen protector since day 1.
    03-07-12 12:35 PM
    I'm getting the 9700 soon and I only looked at it in the shop.
    The DEMO-model(s) aren't what they like to be. You mostly need a brand new phone to test out the rich phone experience.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-07-12 12:35 PM
    I'm still using the 9800, but for some reason I think I got the unbreakable edition. Dropped. From 2nd floor with zagg battery and door came off put it back together now fine. Tossed it got about 1inch of dirt trapped between slider/keyboard. Cleaned it out works fine. I must say I don't see why it's not more popular. I was a big slider on the side fan as it has been my form of choice since my win mobile tytn HTC days, as much as I was against the slide up it works for torch remarkably well too.(great keyboard )

Now the bad, camera (stopped working after a o's upgrade )fixed later but o's wasnt first culprit (see abuse above) sometimes it still don't focus correctly like for barcodes..
    Materials used, it's probably my abuse but the silver flakes and on some heavy rub areas I'm down to the copper under body.

All buttons bells and whistles work as the should aside from what I have mentioned, and pre os7 the ram was best and I still don't feel like I'm missing os7 granted I haven't used it much, still waiting on qnx for next upgrade.
    Oh almost forgot I tend to forget that it's a touch screen the trackpad/keyboard is that good for navigating the device.
    Last edited by pcguy514; 03-07-12 at 12:52 PM.
    03-07-12 12:49 PM
    The DEMO-model(s) aren't what they like to be. You mostly need a brand new phone to test out the rich phone experience.
    Byul has a point! And now that I think about it, the demonstrator phones must have gone through some wear and tear. People are pushing, pressing, fumbling, and maybe even dropping (if the phones aren't somehow attached to a platform/table) these phones all the time. I don't even know if those demonstrator phones are new to start off with! So if it felt weird, it could be any of those reasons. Or others! Who knows?!
    03-07-12 12:53 PM
    My Torch felt as sturdy as any Blackberry I have used. Yeah Byul the ones in the stores always seem a bit clanky eh.

I'd say its the sturdiest slider phone out there.
    03-07-12 01:09 PM
    i love my torch, i havn't had any problems with it until i dropped it in the toilet. then all i had to do was put it in a bowl of dried rice for a night. it works fine now, just the buttons won't light up.
    03-10-12 08:24 AM
    i love my torch, i havn't had any problems with it until i dropped it in the toilet. then all i had to do was put it in a bowl of dried rice for a night. it works fine now, just the buttons won't light up.
    dude...that cracked me up. i thought i was the only one to ever do that.
    ps...it was my 9700 that did a dive in the toilet ...worked fine after a cpl days. try that with an iphone hahahaha
    03-10-12 08:54 AM
    Love d torch model. Keyboard typing is fine just like any other bold series. Give it a try.
    03-10-12 12:27 PM
    if you do not have huge fingers, typing is great

I'm on my 2nd one, first was replaced because of the loose slider; but 2nd one was loose as well

solution: BlackBerry Torch 9800 GRT Case - AT&T - BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - AGF

100% solid now, and dropped many times, working perfectly fine!
    03-10-12 02:07 PM
    I have switched between my Torch and my 9700. I think its just as sturdy as any other BB, I just find it a bit cumbersome to type on at times. I do find myself coming back to it tho- it definately was a good purchase for me at the time last year. I think I'm going to move to the 9900 when my upgrade rollls around next month.
    03-11-12 04:40 PM
    I have the same sentiment, I've beat the s*&^ out of my torch and it works like new. I didn't like key boards so much when I bought it. Now I fricken love it. I opt for the key board rather than the touch screen. Track pad works great too. My buddy bought a android the same time I bought the torch. His was faster than mine when we first got them. Now, he has replaced his phone 3 times and with updates from rim, the torch is much faster/smoother UI. Best phone I have owned easy. Oh, and the battery life is awesome.
    03-12-12 05:41 PM
    I was a big slider on the side fan as it has been my form of choice since my win mobile tytn HTC days....
    ....Oh almost forgot I tend to forget that it's a touch screen the trackpad/keyboard is that good for navigating the device.
    I completely agree. My first slider was the Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard). It was a brick but I fell in love with sliders especially on-the-side-sliders. I never really liked slide-up models until the Torch. I used a Curve for work so long I got used to the smaller keyboard. When it was time to upgrade the Torch was finally available. I didn't consider anything else.

Why get a Curve or a Bold when you can get all of the same functions and usability and double your screen size. It's a no-brainer to me. The slide is so smooth and the raised keys on the keyboard still give me the same functionality as my old Curve. The touchscreen is great, but as pcguy514 said I rarely use it because the trackpad works so well. The only disappointment I have ever had with it is the GPS. For some reason it's not near as accurate as my old Curve.

I still like slides-on-the-side, but in one hand you can slide up your Torch and type with your thumb. It is a lot harder and almost impossible to do that with a slide-on-the-side.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Torch.
    03-13-12 06:53 AM
    The torch design is definitively my preferred design of all phone, I hate screen keyboard, and I love the size of the torch screen. When my 9800 died, it was a no brainer, I went with the 9810.

When you need touch screen, it's there, when you need a keyboard, it's there, when you need to view a video wide screen, it still there.
    thebamafan and akavbb like this.
    03-13-12 09:19 AM
    I like Torch, no prob with typing. It's a bit heavy, but it's ok. The only annoying thing is the screen lock button, so sensitive.. I had to find a screen lock app, it will do.
    03-13-12 12:33 PM
    I've had my Torch for a little bit over a year now and I can tell you that it's very durable and quite an amazing device. A good work horse, although it can lag. It has amazing hardware and it's fantastic. The slide is sturdy and the keyboard is good. The Bold's is better but it still is a fantastic keyboard. I'd get another one without a doubt, but I'd also consider the new 9810, as it takes everything that everyone loves about the 9800 and makes it even better!
    03-15-12 11:25 PM
    I am a BB guy and have been for a while. I went from pearl to curve and now have had a 9800 Torch for about a year and a half. (original phone has worked like a charm from day one) I actually switched from Verizon to AT&T just so I can have a torch. LOve the bigger screen and refuse to (i.e. unable to) type on a virtual keyboard.

I have seen friends a co-workers go from iphone to BB to android to iphone blah blah blah and they make fun of me for having ancient technology but for what I need my phone to do, nothing works as good as a BB.
    anon(375378) and akavbb like this.
    03-17-12 12:05 PM
    Probably one of the best phones I have ever used!!!!!!!
    Seriously unbeatable...
    03-18-12 11:54 AM
    i have the 9800 and it keeps on chugging along. and, i have an upgrade on the line too. i love the keyboard and the touchscreen. my other phone is an htc inspire and while my kids like the games, etc available; i still hold onto the torch. i am waiting out the new offerings from blackberry (i have a 9000 as my back up) but am not sure if i will stick with blackberry once the new iphone comes out. i WANT to stay with blackberry, but with an ipad2 and the seemless integration with itunes, etc; i may have to make the jump. i don't to but may have to. used an iphone 4s today and it was nice. if apple would just come out with an iphone w/ a slide out keyboard ie: torch then blackberry would be toast. just my 2 cents. not hating. just an observation. long live blackberry!
    03-19-12 10:34 PM
    Love d torch model
    03-20-12 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD