OS on my 9800 says....

6.0 Bundle 2554 (v6.0.0.576 Platform 6.6.0.216

Is this the latest version? Is there an upgrade? OS7 option?
    09-26-11 01:36 AM
    OS on my 9800 says....

6.0 Bundle 2554 (v6.0.0.576 Platform 6.6.0.216

Is this the latest version? Is there an upgrade? OS7 option?
    1. Check here for the latest OS upgrade which is 6.0.0.666. Now I have not upgraded to .666 yet. I am on .600 and am very pleased with it.
    You can check with your provider for the latest upgrade they are offering here. If they are not offering anything beyond your OS, you can download either the .666 at the above link, or the .600 fron here. If you need instructions for downloading an OS not offered by your carrier, let us know.

2. OS7 will not work for an OS6 device. the OS6 devices lack the hardware to allow OS7 to work. There is no way to get OS7 to work on an OS6 phone.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-26-11 03:40 AM
    Can I ask a dumb question about this? My phone is running bundle version 2342, v6.0.0.526. The page linked above says AT&T has package 2647, v6.0.0.600, available for download. If I go into my device options and check for available updates, it thinks for a minute and then tells me my device is up to date. Does that mean AT&T isn't pushing the update yet? Or will I be told the same thing forever if I don't take steps to update it? Thanks!
    09-28-11 01:23 PM
    Can I ask a dumb question about this? My phone is running bundle version 2342, v6.0.0.526. The page linked above says AT&T has package 2647, v6.0.0.600, available for download. If I go into my device options and check for available updates, it thinks for a minute and then tells me my device is up to date. Does that mean AT&T isn't pushing the update yet? Or will I be told the same thing forever if I don't take steps to update it? Thanks!
    If your carrier is AT&T, the .600 OS should be available and pushed by them when you plug into your RIM Desktop Manager. As far as .666, you can download it from another carrier without using your DM, and without causing problems to your BlackBerry warranty.

Check this how-to here. Read through it carefully a couple of times to get very familiar with the steps before beginning. I have upgraded to several Operating Systems that AT&T did not release in this manner and never had a problem.

Any questions, post back here and we'll help you out.
    09-28-11 02:13 PM
    Thanks for your useful reply!
    I am still using the version of DM that I got on a CD with my first Blackberry which came from Verizon. Will it still check for that update, or should I uninstall it and install the one that came with the Torch?
    09-28-11 02:18 PM
    Thanks for your useful reply!
    I am still using the version of DM that I got on a CD with my first Blackberry which came from Verizon. Will it still check for that update, or should I uninstall it and install the one that came with the Torch?
    I'm surprised the Verizon OS worked with your AT&T Torch since Verizon does not sell the Torch. Anyway, do you have DM? If not, download it here for a PC or here for a Mac. After it's on your computer, plug in your Torch and it should advise you that there is an updated OS for your phone.
    09-28-11 02:24 PM
    I'm surprised the Verizon OS worked with your AT&T Torch since Verizon does not sell the Torch.
    I had to read that twice too�
    He was saying he had the version of DM that came on a disc with the last Vzw BB he had.
    09-28-11 02:46 PM
    It will check for updates still but, you should update DM if you can. Not 100% necessary, but not knowing what version of DM you have now, I'd say uninstall first, restart PC, and download current version from link provided by ghostryder:

download it here for a PC or here for a Mac. After it's on your computer, plug in your Torch and it should advise you that there is an updated OS for your phone.
    09-28-11 02:52 PM
    If your carrier is AT&T, the .600 OS should be available and pushed by them when you plug into your RIM Desktop Manager. As far as .666, you can download it from another carrier without using your DM, and without causing problems to your BlackBerry warranty.

Check this how-to here. Read through it carefully a couple of times to get very familiar with the steps before beginning. I have upgraded to several Operating Systems that AT&T did not release in this manner and never had a problem.

Any questions, post back here and we'll help you out.
    @ fotyc:

Like ghostryder said, you don't have to use an OS from your own carrier. All OS's are made by RIM. Different carriers release different OS versions for a variety of reasons, and usually NOT because a different version is "bad" somehow.
    The knowledge base on these Forums far exceeds that of your carrier by several orders of magnitude. Read up here to see which is best for you.

The highest available is 6.0.0.666. First impression is that it's a bit more solid than 600, which I had been using for the last couple months or so.
    There's links to download it in Post #1 of the 666 thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...dafone-653716/

If you check Page 2 in Post #22 I left a how-to guide on upgrading your OS. Check it out.

And again like ghostryder said, post back any questions and we're happy to help, whether here or in the 666 thread itself.
    I know this can seem a little overwhelming at first, but it's really easier than it all sounds!
    Last edited by elite1; 09-28-11 at 03:08 PM.
    09-28-11 03:05 PM
    I seem to have DM version 6.1 but I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall it from the AT&T downloads page. I had tried updating the phone with it and gotten a persistent, unexplainable error, maybe it was just that the version I started with was branded by Verizon. Thanks!
    09-28-11 03:25 PM
    If you plug in your blackberry to desktop manager it should tell u if u wanna update to the latest software or not.. Unbless you want to install the latest leaked OS they have for the torch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 03:32 PM
    I seem to have DM version 6.1 but I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall it from the AT&T downloads page. I had tried updating the phone with it and gotten a persistent, unexplainable error, maybe it was just that the version I started with was branded by Verizon. Thanks!
    Just download it directly from RIM to be sure it's absolutely the most current.
    That's here:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC

After installing it, when it asks if it should automatically check for updates, say Yes.
    09-28-11 03:43 PM
    1. Check here for the latest OS upgrade which is 6.0.0.666. Now I have not upgraded to .666 yet. I am on .600 and am very pleased with it.
    You can check with your provider for the latest upgrade they are offering here. If they are not offering anything beyond your OS, you can download either the .666 at the above link, or the .600 fron here. If you need instructions for downloading an OS not offered by your carrier, let us know.
    2. OS7 will not work for an OS6 device. the OS6 devices lack the hardware to allow OS7 to work. There is no way to get OS7 to work on an OS6 phone.
    Are you f'in kidding, there are about 5000 posts on how to download an OS, upload an OS, delete an OS.....ad nauseum......nothing like telling a newbie to start another post. How about tell him/her about 'search'? How the heck will any of these people ever learn anything, how do they get through life? How do they use a cash machine? Forgive the sarcasm, but this has gotten so out of hand, these posts from 'newbies'. If someone has taken the time to do a search and found no answers, I'll jump through hoops to help, but if they can't take the 10 minutes to search one of the most answered questions on this site, they should be ashamed.
    09-28-11 03:52 PM
    Actually that newbie wasn't asking how to install an OS.
    The person answering them included a link to a how-to guide in their response to the newbie.
    Is that so bad?

I can understand your frustrations, and your points are valid concerning a lot of other posts I've seen recently.
    09-28-11 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD