Anyone encountering this dilemma as well? I have a password set and i needed to disable it went into the options and it doesn't seem like an option and i can't uncheck the mark in the enable field...
    08-20-10 01:50 AM
    If you are on BES with your company, they may be forcing you to password lock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 03:55 AM
    If there is a small padlock icon by the password enable button, you have an IT Policy that's locked the password. If your phone was provided by your employer and you are on BES, there's nothing you can do about it, other than buy a personal device that's not on the corporate enterprise server. The Torch is too new for it to be plausible that you bought a used one with a policy in place.
    08-20-10 06:25 AM
    If there is a small padlock icon by the password enable button, you have an IT Policy that's locked the password. If your phone was provided by your employer and you are on BES, there's nothing you can do about it, other than buy a personal device that's not on the corporate enterprise server. The Torch is too new for it to be plausible that you bought a used one with a policy in place.
    One thing, if you have a blackberry with IT policies and connect it to DM, all other blackberrys that you will connect to that DM will inherit the IT policies as well.

08-20-10 06:43 AM
    One thing, if you have a blackberry with IT policies and connect it to DM, all other blackberrys that you will connect to that DM will inherit the IT policies as well.

I have not experienced that. I have a BlackBerry on BES. I have used DM to backup that BlackBerry as well as a friend's BIS BlackBerry. The BIS BlackBerry did not inherit any IT Policy from me.
    08-20-10 08:21 AM
    I have not experienced that. I have a BlackBerry on BES. I have used DM to backup that BlackBerry as well as a friend's BIS BlackBerry. The BIS BlackBerry did not inherit any IT Policy from me.
    I have experienced this. Not sure what the parameters are, but I connected my phone to a work computer when I wasn't on the BES and low and behold I was choked by our IT policy. Had to go through quite the process to wipe the phone to the point of no policy.
    08-20-10 08:55 AM
    The key difference could be that you attached a BIS BlackBerry to your work computer while the work computer was on the work network. I have not done that. I have DM on my work computer and on my personal laptop. I back up my work BlackBerry to both laptops, and I've backed up a friend's BIS BlackBerry to my personal laptop, but I have never put a BIS BlackBerry on the work PC while the work PC was on the work network. If that's what you did, I can see how that might put an IT Policy on the BIS machine.
    08-20-10 09:02 AM
    The key difference could be that you attached a BIS BlackBerry to your work computer while the work computer was on the work network. I have not done that. I have DM on my work computer and on my personal laptop. I back up my work BlackBerry to both laptops, and I've backed up a friend's BIS BlackBerry to my personal laptop, but I have never put a BIS BlackBerry on the work PC while the work PC was on the work network. If that's what you did, I can see how that might put an IT Policy on the BIS machine.
    Hi Jeff,

That's exactly right! So for anyone wondering how/when your BB will adopt an IT policy, please see above.
    08-20-10 09:09 AM
    ok so how do i remove the password lock from my phone. I am on bis not bes. I found it hard to believe that bb would not give me an option to 'disable' this option from my own phone.
    09-04-10 10:49 AM
    Options --> Password --> Disable.

That should do it!
    09-04-10 11:01 AM
    ok so how do i remove the password lock from my phone. I am on bis not bes. I found it hard to believe that bb would not give me an option to 'disable' this option from my own phone.

That should do it!
    Mikey52's instructions are correct. What may be confusing you is that you have to enter your password one last time after you have disabled it. That's a security feature that prevents someone who doesn't know the password from disabling it, for example, if they happened to find the device after you had unlocked it and before the timer had reapplied the password.
    09-04-10 12:04 PM

That should do it!
    I would also like to add that "Content Protection" will need to be disabled as well before the password is disabled. That is if it is enabled. I forget where it is located though.
    09-04-10 12:29 PM
    Mikey52's instructions are correct. What may be confusing you is that you have to enter your password one last time after you have disabled it. That's a security feature that prevents someone who doesn't know the password from disabling it, for example, if they happened to find the device after you had unlocked it and before the timer had reapplied the password.
    So do i have to 'blindly' enter the password because it does not prompt me to...there is no 'dialog box' that pops up for me to enter my password.
    09-04-10 12:38 PM
    So do i have to 'blindly' enter the password because it does not prompt me to...there is no 'dialog box' that pops up for me to enter my password.
    No, it will prompt you when you uncheck Enable Password.

If your memory is Encrypted, you might not get the option to disable password.
    09-04-10 01:00 PM
    No, it will prompt you when you uncheck Enable Password.

If your memory is Encrypted, you might not get the option to disable password.
    yes my memory is encrypted. i will decrypt my memory(you know what i mean), and then try to 'disable' the password lock. Thanks for that info. Why would i not get the prompt for the password when my memory is encrypted?
    09-04-10 01:50 PM
    IT WORKED!!!! Disabling the encryption 1st, then go and uncheck the 'enable' password lock. Thanks for all of your help. Just make sure to disable the encryption on the memory and the media device.
    09-04-10 03:38 PM
    Yep, that's how I figured it out too, you have to disable the encryption to do the password...very weird, but it worked.
    09-04-10 10:22 PM
    Glad to hear it worked out.
    09-05-10 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD