The number one thing I am hearing is how the 'screen is not good'.. this is probably the smallest thing someone would even consider on a cell phone. Who the **** cares?? Comparing a 9700 with previous model blackberries there is absolutely no difference in screen to me.

It's like how all the people want HD when to me regular TV is the EXACT same thing. You literally can not tell the difference. I don't understand why you would get a blackberry if you dont want a physical keyboard? Thats what they are most popular for. Tired of seeing these nerds throwing forks at blackberries for the screen not being 'good enough'. Holy crap some people are sad.
    08-11-10 09:44 PM
    Wow, regular TV is exactly like HD tv?? LOL
    dude , you need to see an Optometrist ASAP
    08-11-10 09:49 PM
    thats like saying the Torch looks just as good as a Samsung captivate. Try reading fine print, it will seem like you had 6 beers wahen looking at the torch. but in normal viewing, difference is minimal, but NOTICEABLE.

You dont see a difference because your going from a 9700 to an 9800, try a Samsung Galaxy or iphone, then try to view yours.
    08-11-10 09:51 PM
    Wow you made a thread dedicated to the users criticizing the Torch, when you yourself complained about the touchscreen.
    08-11-10 09:53 PM
    Wow you made a thread dedicated to the users criticizing the Torch, when you yourself complained about the touchscreen.
    I never complained about it. That was an entire different topic and stop bringing it up. I said from day 1 I'd still get it and just use the trackpad instead. Move on please.
    08-11-10 10:41 PM
    thats like saying the Torch looks just as good as a Samsung captivate. Try reading fine print, it will seem like you had 6 beers wahen looking at the torch. but in normal viewing, difference is minimal, but NOTICEABLE.

You dont see a difference because your going from a 9700 to an 9800, try a Samsung Galaxy or iphone, then try to view yours.
    I've used iphones before, there is a difference but the difference is soo micro that you should not even care. Why is the screen that important? The 9000 screen itself is good enough for me.
    08-11-10 10:43 PM

If you are used to using a Captivate then stop trying to break contract and go away. Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 10:43 PM
    sure the 9800 screen isn't like the iphone4 or droids. But, it is still very functional as a screen......and touchscreen. People really need to stop complaining about the minuscule things, you can still read stuff on the screen, and well. If i wanted to see threads of grass on my phone, id carry around a damn HDTV.

Its a phone, it works, it functions, people who complain about it not being good need to just get over it and move to a different phone and not give a rats *** about the torch.

my 2 cents
    08-12-10 04:33 AM
    "It's like how all the people want HD when to me regular TV is the EXACT same thing"

Say what?????
    08-12-10 06:50 AM
    The number one thing I am hearing is how the 'screen is not good'.. this is probably the smallest thing someone would even consider on a cell phone. Who the **** cares?? Comparing a 9700 with previous model blackberries there is absolutely no difference in screen to me.

It's like how all the people want HD when to me regular TV is the EXACT same thing. You literally can not tell the difference. I don't understand why you would get a blackberry if you dont want a physical keyboard? Thats what they are most popular for. Tired of seeing these nerds throwing forks at blackberries for the screen not being 'good enough'. Holy crap some people are sad.
    You don't have the slightest clue of what you're taking about, enjoy your low res 480x360 torch.
    08-12-10 08:28 AM
    Folks,

I deleted a couple of posts. We will NOT be having any more personal attacks! We can disagree about the subject at hand, BUT we must not attack each other. Got it?!

OK my take on this, ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? Basically once something gets so good, it really doesn't matter much anymore. For example sunscreen, and the so call SPF or Sun Protection Factor, after SPF 15 or so you reach the law and yea 40 IS better, but not as much better as you would think. The same is true with MP or Mega Pixels on cameras, after about 3 MPs you reach it, and yea 10 is better, but not as much better as you would think.

I think this is the point Harry is trying to make here maybe we have reach it with screens just how sharp and clear does it need to be? Remember the battery needs to last too. Perhaps the 9800 is good enough. I know I love the screen on my 9650.

OK final word! Leave Harry alone! He and I have spoken and have come to an agreement that he will try harder to get along with the community. Now I need you guys to do YOUR part and give him a break. You CAN disagree, BUT please do so with some class and do NOT use personal attacks. And the next person to use the T word I might just use the B word (that stands for BAN!!!!!) Got it!
    08-12-10 09:11 AM
    The screen on the Torch is good - it's sharp and looks nice. That being said, if you compare it to an iPhone4, it's not nearly as nice...but my 2010 BMW 328i is real nice too unless I compare it to a Bentley (to be clear, I am calling the iPhone's screen the Bentley not the iPhone itself).

However, the difference between regular 480p TV and 720P or 1080P HD is huge. I can hardly watch non HD channels anymore!
    08-12-10 09:16 AM
    Here's the thing, if you are coming from another blackberry or device with similar screen specs then the torch screen will do you just fine. For those that have had devices with high res screen then the screen could become a deal breaker. It's normal for features that you have had to become the norm for you after you have experienced them. That's just how we are.

For instance, I can never see myself going back to a car with 4 cyl after drivng one with 6. Nothing saying that there i anything wrong with the 4 but I have just become accustomed to more power. So I get what suits my needs and wants and you get what suit yours. For some the torch is a downgrade and for others its an upgrade. It all depends on what you have already experienced and what you deem necessary in your life.

Now after the iPhone 4 and Captivate it pains my eyes to look at screens with lower res. Not because they are bad but it's not what I'm use to. I have 2 HD flatscreens in my house downstairs and in my bedroom I have a regular tube. I can't even turn the thing on because I'm so use to the HD and everything looks so grainy and blurred. But it's really not that bad, I'm just spoiled by the HD.

Having said that, it's a shame that RIM didn't up the specs especially if they are serious about the consumer market. In my opinion this device shows that RIM doesn't really know what general consumers want. Blackberry accidentally became a consumer device because there was no competition and general consumers are easily wowed by games, apps, bright colors and clarity. Without these things RIM will continue to lose market share. My wife is not a gadget person as all and knows nothing about specs but she loves the screen on her iPhone 4 and the HD recording. She raves over how clear everything is. And she's as general as they get.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-12-10 at 09:30 AM.
    08-12-10 09:27 AM
    LOL I'm using a ghetto Samsung BlackJack II, I haven't upgraded yet because I can't find anything with a decent keyboard. 9800 has came along and now I am ready to upgrade. By all means the 9800 is an uber upgrade and will make a ton of people happy. I wish the Iphone fanboys would go troll somewhere else.
    08-12-10 09:28 AM
    Folks,

I deleted a couple of posts. We will NOT be having any more personal attacks! We can disagree about the subject at hand, BUT we must not attack each other. Got it?!

OK my take on this, ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? Basically once something gets so good, it really doesn't matter much anymore. For example sunscreen, and the so call SPF or Sun Protection Factor, after SPF 15 or so you reach the law and yea 40 IS better, but not as much better as you would think. The same is true with MP or Mega Pixels on cameras, after about 3 MPs you reach it, and yea 10 is better, but not as much better as you would think.

I think this is the point Harry is trying to make here maybe we have reach it with screens just how sharp and clear does it need to be? Remember the battery needs to last too. Perhaps the 9800 is good enough. I know I love the screen on my 9650.

OK final word! Leave Harry alone! He and I have spoken and have come to an agreement that he will try harder to get along with the community. Now I need you guys to do YOUR part and give him a break. You CAN disagree, BUT please do so with some class and do NOT use personal attacks. And the next person to use the T word I might just use the B word (that stands for BAN!!!!!) Got it!
    "I think this is the point Harry is trying to make here maybe we have reach it with screens just how sharp and clear does it need to be? Remember the battery needs to last too. Perhaps the 9800 is good enough. I know I love the screen on my 9650."

I can buy the mega pixels argument but screen resolution is a different matter entirely. There is a vast difference in terms of text clarity. Having the higher resolution makes all the difference in the world when you are talking about viewing web pages.
    08-12-10 09:29 AM
    The OP must not have seen HD TV. The difference is night and day. I personally don't know anyone who couldn't tell the difference.

Moving on. Is the screen good enough? Yes. Is it the best resolution available? No. Thank goodness we live in a age where there are many products available to suite everyone's needs, whether it be a high resolution touch screen or a physical keypad.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Safe to say it's not only "nerds" that want high resolution screens.
    08-12-10 09:31 AM
    I'm with the OP, the difference in screen res (between the Torch and the high end smartphones, i.e. Captivate, etc) is not that big of a deal. It's functional as a communication device and has a good screen size.
    Last edited by Simba501; 08-12-10 at 11:04 AM.
    08-12-10 09:35 AM
    You don't see the difference between SD and HDTV?
    08-12-10 09:38 AM
    but my 2010 BMW 328i is real nice too unless I compare it to a Bentley
    Your (girly) 2010 bmw 3.28 is real nice unless you compare it to a man's car like the 2010 bmw 3.35 xi or the M3....
    08-12-10 09:57 AM
    The screen on the Torch is good - it's sharp and looks nice. That being said, if you compare it to an iPhone4, it's not nearly as nice...but my 2010 BMW 328i is real nice too unless I compare it to a Bentley (to be clear, I am calling the iPhone's screen the Bentley not the iPhone itself).

However, the difference between regular 480p TV and 720P or 1080P HD is huge. I can hardly watch non HD channels anymore!
    There are two aspects of your BMW/Bentley comparison. Are you using the Torch, but thinking about the iPhone screen? Or have you just used an iPhone & switched to the Torch. I still have to wait before I can get either a Torch or a Captivate, so I can't make an exact comparison. But I've had a Treo Pro & a Tilt2 at the same time. Most of the time, if I just use the Treo Pro, it's very usable. Although, being a little more "mature" than many here, that's no longer always the case. If I'm using the Tilt2, then switch to the Treo Pro, I have a lot more difficulty with the Treo Pro screen. Part of the issue is whether your eyes are adjusting between screen sizes & resolutions.

As for HD TV, part of that depends on what size screen you have. A 73' screen needs 1080i or 1080p just to look good. The smaller the screen gets, the less noticeable are the differences. Just because of limitations of the eye in dealing with detail.

But, getting back to phone screens. At least in my case, since I have a couple of months to make a decision, I can look forward to actually trying out a Torch at the store to see if the screen is sufficiently larger & higher rez than my (now dead) Treo Pro that it's a winner. I like the front facing keyboard, touchscreen & the workhorse nature of the phone. But, will my eyes agree?
    08-12-10 09:57 AM
    I can actually see the gradiation of colors on the AT&T wallpaper in the one I'm holding, not even that close either. Just regular viewing distance.

Another odd thing, the drawer is translucent. Now look at the wallpaper behind it as you switch screens. The colors go all funny as you swipe then go back somewhat regular.
    08-12-10 10:10 AM
    Your (girly) 2010 bmw 3.28 is real nice unless you compare it to a man's car like the 2010 bmw 3.35 xi or the M3....
    Can we check our testosterone at the door please? Everyone likes different types of cars...and if we're talking about looks (display screen), I just checked out the BMW USA website and don't see any difference between the 328 and the 335.
    08-12-10 10:16 AM
    I just checked out the BMW USA website and don't see any difference between the 328 and the 335.
    Check under the hood, i.e. the resolution haha.
    08-12-10 10:19 AM
    It's like how all the people want HD when to me regular TV is the EXACT same thing.
    LOL.

I've found my new signature.
    08-12-10 10:20 AM
    If you can get a Bentley for the same price as a 328i wouldn't most people get the Bentley? RIM priced the Torch at the same point as the iPhone4 and Captivate thus comparisons are fair game.
    08-12-10 10:26 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD