Hello, Is it true that the BB torch will use 2/3 less data than say the IP4? I am undecided between both phones and am trying to make a decision by the release date. I have used both phones at the ATT store and each one has excellent qualities. Thoughts?
    08-07-10 06:58 PM
    Any blackberry will use about a third the data of an iP4.
    08-07-10 08:16 PM
    Basically that's true. Email is delivered via BES/BIS and the phone doesn't have to be connected to the mail servers. This is the main reason for limited data usage.
    08-07-10 08:20 PM
    Get the iPhone 4... The applications are better, the features are better, the screen and the processor are better, and it has more for the price. At $200, the 16 GB iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Torch.
    08-07-10 08:53 PM
    If your concerned with data usage, without a doubt, go with the 9800.
    If you plan on playing games, go with the iP4

my opinion
    08-07-10 09:00 PM
    If you don't watch videos or other high data usage apps, but mainly do email, light web browsing, IM, then a BB will use much less data than an iPhone. It compresses data well. My wife has an iPhone, and even with Wifi, she NEEDS an unlimited plan. I use the 200 MB plan for my BB and that's plenty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 08:11 AM
    Get the iPhone 4... The applications are better, the features are better, the screen and the processor are better, and it has more for the price. At $200, the 16 GB iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Torch.
    Going briefly off-topic...i4 SAR (Soft Tissue Radiation Absorption) 0.974 and the Torch is 0.91...Get back on topic and stop bashing a device you have no intention of trying.
    08-08-10 08:29 AM
    Going briefly off-topic...i4 SAR (Soft Tissue Radiation Absorption) 0.974 and the Torch is 0.91...Get back on topic and stop bashing a device you have no intention of trying.
    I don't like anything apple but come on what's the big difference between .91 and .974, .064 like nothing.
    08-08-10 08:43 AM
    Precisely my point...random information on my part to point out his ranting off topic.
    08-08-10 08:44 AM
    True, he didn't say anything about data usage as the OP was inquiring about.
    08-08-10 08:47 AM
    The same things that allow BlackBerrys to be data efficient also make them battery efficient as well.

There is a downside though, and that is the rare "BIS outage".

08-08-10 11:34 AM
    Whether or not a BlackBerry uses less data depends on what you use it for. If you use it for email, BBM, and other things that use RIM's servers, the data usage will be less. If you stream audio the data usage will be the same.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-08-10 11:40 AM
    If you aren't grandfathered in to a unlimited 30$ data plan on ATT, the Torch is a great way to save some money by purchasing a lower monthly data plan. For a person like me who loves smart phones, is still in grad school and short on funds, blackberry keeps me organized and financially happy.
    08-08-10 12:03 PM
    I'm on a 500MB plan, at the end of each month I total of about 9 to 16MB used... if there was a lower data plan like 50MB I'd probably be using that. On the Android, it has already chomped through 24MB in a week from mostly surfing the Android market.
    08-08-10 12:05 PM
    Fortunately, I have had the unlimited $30 plan since 2007.

08-08-10 12:08 PM
    For me it would be a tough decision as I am grandfathered in the unlimited data plan but would like to save money and go down to one of the tiered plans. My data usage in the last 6 months range from 95mb-168mb, I believe that's what my bill said. The fact of the matter is I think I only went over 1gb once however I love having never to worry about going 0ver especially if one day I decide to switch between phones but saving money is always a good thing. So I'm in a lost boat of undecidedness.

08-08-10 02:51 PM
    I stream Pandora almost daily on my S2. I don't teather. Last month I was near 2 gigs of data. It just depends on what you are doing with it.

08-08-10 03:03 PM
    I tether from time to time. I don't use pandora but maybe If I did I would probably be in the same boat as you. Plus I love you tubing & web browsing like I'm doing now. :-)

08-08-10 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD