I just ordered the BB Torch through the ATT Premier site. I'm currently using a BB Curve 8310. So I wanted to get some opinions as to what to expect from the Torch. Will I be happy with the switch?

Looking forward to reading all your comments, thanks.
    01-22-11 11:50 AM
    definetly... thats the switch that I made also about 4 months ago. The OS and browswer are so much better, and ofcourse the clarity and size of the screen. Scrolling around the screen and selecting icons is so much easier with the touch screen instead of the roller ball.

the only thing I had to get used to is to make sure you "lock" the screen before you put it in your holster. If you just put your phone in your pocket, you may end up unlocking the screen anyway and accidently selecting programs or call you didnt want. I would suggest using a holster.

I also have the AGF GRT hard case and screen protector installed. The AGF case does a good job protecting the lock button on the top by protruding above it a bit so you dont accidently unlock the screen.

I personally have not had any troubles with my case, holster or phone but ofcourse there are posts all over here where someone is ******** about everything that I have not had any issues with and would recomend to a friend. So, read up on all the "which is better...." threads and enjoy your new torch... i know I love mine.
    01-22-11 12:15 PM
    I too agree that you will be very happy with the switch. I just did this myself about a couple of months ago. I have found that there is a lot more you can put on the torch as far as apps go and that you can also stream with no problems.
    01-22-11 12:44 PM
    Thx for the replies so far. I've had the curve for some time now, about 3 years, and felt it was time for a new BB. The main thing I didn't like about the curve was the internet/browser. But now with the OS 6 and the webkit browsing on the Torch, I should be happier. And also the memory issue with the curve. I would have to constantly do battery pulls to regain free memory. but with 512MB of on board memory on the Torch, I shouldn't have any more memory issues. Cant wait to get it. Ordered t today so I'm going to assume that I should have it by mid next week.
    01-22-11 02:23 PM
    Expect for the best!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 02:46 PM
    Expect to go into shock! That's a HUGE jump. For me that would be too much. I'd have to use a 9700 for a couple weeks to transition.

01-22-11 02:49 PM
    Expect to go into shock! That's a HUGE jump. For me that would be too much. I'd have to use a 9700 for a couple weeks to transition.

No, not necessarily. I went from a 8700 to a 9700, and I transitioned fine. No shock. And now I'm on the Torch, and couldn't be happier.

01-22-11 06:03 PM
    I don't see why you shouldn't be happy especially coming from an older Curve. Just in case you're not happy with it you can always return or exchange it for something else.
    01-22-11 06:07 PM
    Yes, you may need counseling... be sure to post your thoughts after you recover.
    01-23-11 07:27 AM
    ... I wanted to get some opinions as to what to expect from the Torch.
    Expect to be one of those people they make fun of in the WinPhone 7 'Really?' ad spots. Really, you won't be able to put it down. At least that's what happened to me coming from a Bold 9000.
    01-23-11 08:45 AM
    I had a longer route to the Torch from 8310 to 9000 to 9700 to 9800.

The touchscreen is an obvious difference but one external difference is the trackpad. With the touchscreen, you will enjoy all the normal gestures, pinch to zoom, double tap, and scrolling.

The browser is more robust and offers tabbed browsing. Increased app memory for increased productivity. 4 GB onboard storage with additional 32 GB micro sd should you decide to get one. Universal search is also a great feature as well as the Social Media. The camera is better and the keyboard is pretty good as well. There YouTube videos at crackberrydotcom that will help familiarize you with the Torch while you wait. As always, there is plenty of help in this forum. Please give a try for more than a few hours or weeks.

01-23-11 10:34 AM
    Looking at all your replies is making me want the Torch more and more. I cant wait to get it in my hands already. I'm looking at the full crackberry review on the Torch. looks good. Already did a full backup of my curve, so that when I get the Torch, I can just do a restore and have all my contacts, memos, and calendar on the Torch. Oh yeah, and password keeper, how can I forget that.

I honestly considered switching to the iPhone, I'm not gonna lie, but when it actually came time to upgrade to a new phone, I just couldn't let go of BlackBerry. My crackberry addiction is beyond help and I'm sure I will be a blackberry user for life.
    01-23-11 12:03 PM
    Yes, you may need counseling... be sure to post your thoughts after you recover.
    I sure will...
    01-23-11 12:05 PM

I thought of this being a problem, but hopefully I'll adjust quickly.
    01-23-11 12:07 PM
    Expect to be blown away. The sheer speed of the device in comparison to the 8310 is like a 1943 Ford to a 2011 Mustang GT. There simply isn't a comparison. Be sure to check out some informative info on BlackBerry 6---> http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/bl...ticles-494717/
    01-23-11 12:45 PM
    It is a good upgrade other than your curve's keyboard actually being better to type on.

Otherwise, it's a nice upgrade, bigger screen, nice phone overall.
    01-23-11 12:48 PM
    I agree with jcp007. You might hate it for the first few hours, so give it time.
    My 2 cents, vertical slide out keyboard saves valuable real estate on the screen compared to a pure touchscreen where the virtual KB takes up half the screen. Having this option seals the deal for me, and I also like having the option to use the menu button/trackpad combo for the menial tasks like selecting/copying/pasting text. Sure, this stuff can be done with a pure touch interface, but big fingers and small screens can make it frustrating when you're trying to be precise. You get ancient technology and modern technology in one package, and you're free to use the one which works best for you.
    01-23-11 12:51 PM
    Make sure that you have the most current Desktop Manager 6.0 and then backup your Curve. Use the Device Switch Wizard for data and contacts. Reload only those apps compatible with OS 6.0.
    01-23-11 09:36 PM
    Make sure that you have the most current Desktop Manager 6.0 and then backup your Curve. Use the Device Switch Wizard for data and contacts. Reload only those apps compatible with OS 6.0.
    Thanks for the reply. I've already done a backup of my curve so that when I get the Torch I can just do a Restore on the Torch with my contacts, calendar, memos, emails/texts, and password keeper. I don't really have any third party apps on my curve now, except for the bank of america and google maps app. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming these two apps are compatible with OS 6. I didn't have more apps on my curve because I was always running out of memory on my BB. But wit the Torch, I plan on having more apps installed because its got 512MB of memory. The phone shipped today so I should have it in 2 days. Can't wait :-)

01-24-11 04:49 PM
    Nothing really to add except that's the switch I made last August and I could not be happier. World of difference between the OSes. The keyboard takes a little getting used to, but you'll come to like it well enough. I love having touchscreen abilities with a real keyboard. I definitely use my Torch a lot more than I did my Curve. It's a far more useful phone.
    01-24-11 06:29 PM
    I made the same jump last month and I couldn't be happier. The Torch is everything I've ever wanted in a phone. The Torch has rebooted by itself only once. The memory leak is virtually nonexistant. I still do a full clean and soft battery pull once a week but from what I've heard, you don't even have to do that anymore. I love this phone!

With my Curve 8310, I could download only 2, maybe 3 apps. I couldn't even have BB App World on it because it took too much memory. Now, I have about 20 apps on my Torch with significant room to spare. It's hard to put down and get some real work done!

Now my Curve 8310 is sitting forlornly on my dresser...and I feel kinda bad for it but then my Torch does something cool and I forget all about it!

A few apps I recommend are Berry Slider, BeBuzz, Google is a must, Urbanspoon, Starbucks Card Mobile and Color Snap.

Have fun with your Torch! It truly is addicting.
    01-25-11 05:17 PM
    I made the same jump last month and I couldn't be happier. The Torch is everything I've ever wanted in a phone. The Torch has rebooted by itself only once. The memory leak is virtually nonexistant. I still do a full clean and soft battery pull once a week but from what I've heard, you don't even have to do that anymore. I love this phone!

With my Curve 8310, I could download only 2, maybe 3 apps. I couldn't even have BB App World on it because it took too much memory. Now, I have about 20 apps on my Torch with significant room to spare. It's hard to put down and get some real work done!

Now my Curve 8310 is sitting forlornly on my dresser...and I feel kinda bad for it but then my Torch does something cool and I forget all about it!

A few apps I recommend are Berry Slider, BeBuzz, Google is a must, Urbanspoon, Starbucks Card Mobile and Color Snap.

Have fun with your Torch! It truly is addicting.
    I was never able to use the BB App World because my curve would always freeze and I would get the hourglass on the screen. I would always have to do a battery pull and reboot the phone. This was a pain because I couldn't really have apps installed on my curve. So in theory I was unable to use my curve to it full potential. With the Torch I plan to use BB App World and download some apps. I gotta have my Bank of America, and Google maps apps.

I plan to sell my curve after I get the Torch. I've unlocked it, so it should sell quick, hopefully.
    01-26-11 04:30 AM
    I love my torch. Just switched from a bolf 9700 and before that I had a 8110 (pearl) all three phones are worlds apart. i do not miss any of them well maybe the amazing battery life of the bold i could go four days without charging that bad boy wheteas with the torch i can barley stretch two days

01-26-11 07:51 AM
    I love my torch. Just switched from a bolf 9700 and before that I had a 8110 (pearl) all three phones are worlds apart. i do not miss any of them well maybe the amazing battery life of the bold i could go four days without charging that bad boy wheteas with the torch i can barley stretch two days

Try turning down your screen brightness to 10% and close all apps that you aren't using or don't want running in the background. If there are any active browser tabs, close those as well. If you are not using WiFi and/or Bluetooth, turn them off as well. These steps should help with battery life.
    01-26-11 11:16 AM
    So I finally got my Torch yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down. I never thought my BB addiction could get any worse, but it has. I love it. It is so fast compared to the curve. The camera is great. And it also takes awesome videos. I thought it would be much heavier than the curve, but it actually doesn't feel heavier at all. Using the touchscreen to text is gonna take me some getting used to, but the keyboard feels pretty good. A little different from the curve, but not in a bad way. I also love how much more memory I have now. No more memory issues here. No more battery pulls.

I have a question for you guys. The Torch came with quite a few preinstalled apps, like computers come with nowadays. How can I remove these apps that I don't want. I don't want to just hide the icons, I want to permanently remove/uninstall them. Do I have to connect it to my PC and use the BB desktop software to remove them?

By the way, switching devices was a snap using the BB desktop software. I connected the curve first, it did a backup, then asked me to connect the Torch, and within like 3 mins, if that, it was complete. Got all my contacts, calendar, memos, and password keeper information on the Torch. Oh yea, and of course all my emails and texts.

I still love the Curve. It was my first BB. But I gotta say, the Torch has got to be the best BB ever released.

01-27-11 07:14 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD