About a week before the first Torch came out, I was invited to a launch party in Toronto and received a free Torch.

I've been using it lightly for the past year or so and I hardly downloaded anything in that time.

Lately, however, I've been downloading a bunch of apps and today I was informed via text message that I had surpassed my limit of 500 megs.

Talking to Rogers support, we discovered that the Connection Preferences button under Network and Connections, then Mobile Network, wasn't there. He said it should be between Mobile Network and Network Selection Mode, which it wasn't.

I have no option to have my phone switch automatically to my wireless when I'm back at my apartment, and as a result, it's using my Mobile Network to download everything, hence going over this month.

Short of having to turn off my mobile network while I download stuff via my wireless (which means I won't be able to receive calls), what am I supposed to do? The guy on the phone told me to update my software, but I just tried through Blackberry Desktop and it said there was no update available.

What should I do?
    04-12-12 09:37 AM
    OS 6 never had a "network preference" option. It will always select and connect to wifi over mobile when a wifi connection is available.
    04-12-12 11:11 AM
    The thing is, is that it's not switching over to my wireless router and after downloading a bunch of apps lately, I have somehow gone over my 500 meg limit... so it's not using the wireless but the cell signal instead...

And apparently, according to the tech guy on the phone, it does...
    04-12-12 11:42 AM
    The best way to see what is happening is by watching where the BIS symbol (the little 4-dot BB symbol) is on your homescreen.

If it is next to the 3G at the top of the screen, then your data is running through the mobile connection. If it's next to the wifi symbol, then it's connected through your router and nothing you do should count against your mobile data.

At least, that's the idea. I will say that even I find that data has run through my mobile connection when looking at my data usage online through AT&T at times that I darn well know I was home and connected to my wifi. I'll find these phantom 10 to 20 mb data transfers that happen at 3 in the morning, maybe twice a week, when I know I'm asleep and at home - and on wifi.
    04-12-12 03:45 PM
    Interesting. Well I just checked my Blackberry and I'm on my wifi and the blackberry symbol was next to the wifi, so I don't know.

I have no idea why, but all these apps that I downloaded at home, thinking I was using my wifi, downloaded through mobile data and as a result, I went over my limit for the first time ever.

I hardly use the wifi at home for big files so perhaps it never was using the wifi, but I never noticed because I had never downloaded so much in one month.

Still strange and annoying...
    04-16-12 06:22 PM
    Do you have the latest version of BB App World running?

I believe it was only a few months back that they enabled downloading via wifi.

Go to BlackBerry App World from your BB Browser and download the latest version.

If you have the latest version installed and you're in a wifi zone, your torch would use the wifi else it would use the mobile network. It does this automatically.
    04-17-12 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD