I sold my 9700 and I'm using an ip4 while I wait for the Torch to launch here in Canada. I've been a BB guy since the beginning of time, so I know that even though the BB is the best, and most reliable phone around-- the build quality has sometimes left much to be desired. This is especially troubling now with the Torch since it has moving parts. With loose keys and even looser body parts all over the 9700, I can't help but wonder what kinda creaks and rattles I'm gonna see out of the Torch.
    Disclosure-- I haven't seen or touched one live yet.
    Someone please tell me I'm wrong and that it's solid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 07:54 AM
    I have had no issues. Build quality is solid. No rattling parts. Slider is crisp and solid. Keyboard is better than my 9700.
    08-15-10 07:57 AM
    let me tell you it is a solid device.. after having it since Thursday.. it's on the heavy side with the battery.. probably weigh close to the bold 9000 if you're familiar with that model.
    i dropped it already. phone is closed. about 4 feet. nothing happened since it was inside my leather case.
    more importantly, i don't really get the plasticky feel that i get from other phones.
    ip4 since my wife has one is more a Glassy feel to it
    so you can't compare this to your ip4
    08-15-10 08:00 AM
    I sold my 9700 and I'm using an ip4 while I wait for the Torch to launch here in Canada. I've been a BB guy since the beginning of time, so I know that even though the BB is the best, and most reliable phone around--
    I'll bet that you can't look at yourself in a mirror and actually say that with a straight face.
    08-15-10 08:04 AM
    Jesus theone, is that all you do is troll Crackberry? Or maybe you troll everything you dislike, which means you have no life....as you are on Forum after Forum? Get over yourself!

08-15-10 08:10 AM
    TZ - our devices are both solid. I was the fourth or fifth buyer at the store out of a group of about 12 or 15 early buyers on Thursday morning.
    Both devices are absolutely solid with no wiggles, recessed trackpads, no tiny noises, no much publicised lag...they are fantastic devices.

One caveat - my trainer had an issue with Facebook and DM. Seems that if you go from 9700 and don't delete FB first there is a noncompatibility issue with OS6. Either delete FB out of your 9700 (as he eventually did) and then do the device switch or have them import all your contacts at the store (like we did) and transfer your apps manually.

As far as the devices, we love them!!!
    08-15-10 08:11 AM
    I'll bet that you can't look at yourself in a mirror and actually say that with a straight face.

I can say it about my phone!
    08-15-10 08:11 AM
    Jesus theone, is that all you do is troll Crackberry? Or maybe you troll everything you dislike, which means you have no life....as you are on Forum after Forum? Get over yourself!

I looked a while back at its posts and that's all they are, trolling. Unfortunately its posts do not rise to a level where it would be banned. I suggest the Ignore feature, I have some regular trolls on it. There is absolutely nothing of value added to any of its posts, so you would lose nothing if you don't read its one line, vitriol ladened trolling fests.
    08-15-10 08:16 AM
    What do you mean? Are you being sarcastic? Of course the 9700 (and BBs) are the most reliable phones around. I'm not knocking the iphone, I've always owned the latest iphones as secondary units.

08-15-10 08:19 AM

When I read nonsense, I feel compelled to respond.

You'd be surprised at what I accomplish in a typical day, and don't call me Jesus!
    Last edited by TheOne01; 08-15-10 at 08:22 AM.
    08-15-10 08:19 AM
    The color, yellow, probably make theone sad.

What I wouldn't give to have R. Lee Ermey do a Torch commercial.
    08-15-10 08:21 AM
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Thanks for the entertainment theone
    lol

08-15-10 08:22 AM
    Theone reads nonsense, yet he spills out nonsense onto his keyboard..."Pot meet Kettle and OMG, how strange, you are black as well."

08-15-10 08:48 AM
    I think he's a closet-case Blackberry-lover. hahahahaa
    08-15-10 08:57 AM
    This is my first blackberry that I ever owned, my wife on the other hand has owned a pearl, bold 9000, and now she has a curve 8900. All of her phones have had zero issues and excellent build quality. I on the other hand have owned mostly WM devices and also an Iphone 3gs. I dumped it due to the fact all I did was look down at it and play with it. I picked up a 9800 going on the fact that my wife has really loved all of her other phones. This phone is sexy as ****! Going from a virtual keyboard to a physical/virtual on a smaller form factor gave me no issues. The slide is very nice and the keyboard just melts into my hands so nicely. I'm hoping my front plastic buttons wont pop off, but I did steal my wife's 8900 holster and it slips into it perfectly. I bought mine from Sam's Club, you can try it out for 30 days with a 0 dollar restocking fee. I will give a test run and see if it meets my needs. If it doesn't then I will return it and maybe try out a Captivate??? But as of right now this feels very solid, I haven't seen any lag or heard any issues with the microphone. Good luck to you!
    08-15-10 08:59 AM
    I looked a while back at its posts and that's all they are, trolling. Unfortunately its posts do not rise to a level where it would be banned. I suggest the Ignore feature, I have some regular trolls on it. There is absolutely nothing of value added to any of its posts, so you would lose nothing if you don't read its one line, vitriol ladened trolling fests.
    Hey QB, longtime no talk, hope all is well. What's funny is he just came off a three day ban and apparently wants another. The term troll doesn't do justice, more like "loser without a life" is a better fit.

Just calls 'em as I sees 'em...
    08-15-10 09:25 AM
    we have 4 torches in the house right now.
    Dad, 2 brothers and mine..
    and we can confidently say that the build is top notch..
    yes, there's a bad apple every now and then but so far we don't have any issues like the experience that others are complaining about.
    the SIZE for me is just about right..
    i don't want to carry a "remote size" phone like the Droid X
    and i don't want to carry another ipod touch with phone function ( iphone4)
    to anyone who's on the fence.. about buying this..
    i suggest you go out and get it.. EXPERIENCE IT!
    please don't insult your intelligence by listening to people who are reviewing the Paper specs of the phone.
    08-15-10 09:26 AM
    someone posted that there was no lag associated with this phone, i get lag from time to time. the phone freezes for about a second or so the goes off again...not sure if im going to keep it
    08-15-10 09:41 AM
    someone posted that there was no lag associated with this phone, i get lag from time to time. the phone freezes for about a second or so the goes off again...not sure if im going to keep it
    Someone posted there was no lag? The majority of people who own one and have been using it for the past few days have posted there was no lag, or if there was any it was very minute and not really even worth reporting. As a matter of fact, I think you are the only one who keeps complaining about lag. Are all 10 of your posts about this supposed lag?
    08-15-10 10:18 AM
    It just needs a moderator to have free time to review and take the appropriate action. There was more than enough evidence that warnings and a previous short ban had no effect and failed to discourage deliberate provocation. We will try a rather longer ban, and see if it concentrates the troll's attention enough to make a difference.
    08-15-10 12:56 PM
    Thank you, Branta.
    Everyone is entitled to having an opinion and expressing it. However, repeated one line zingers devoid of substance are a nuisance and do nothing more than provoke those of us who have a hard enough time maintaining our cool. Embracing moderation when expressing an opinion is difficult for some of us, and I include myself in that group.
    08-15-10 01:22 PM
    Love it, love it, love it! It's so funny to see people trashing BlackBerry v. Android v. iPhone. Really, we are SO lucky to be living in this age of advancing technology and we can experience all of these toys if we have the means! For me, it's whatever works best - personally, for work, for life. My mobile phone is my ONLY phone - I don't have a land line. I live in L.A. and got my first mobile after the '94 earthquake - I didn't EVER want to find myself in an emergency situation without any communication. (I read that after the Haiti earthquake recently, a lot of people were found because they were able to post on Twitter, since there was no telephone reception.) A real keyboard on my phone is a dealbreaker for me. My firm requires BlackBerry and uses LotusNotes, so... for me and for all these reasons, this is absolutely the best phone yet.
    08-15-10 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD